Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Ugh, going up!! why??

I have only kept a food log on here about a week, but have been eating better and had taken up runnign a few weeks earlier than that.

I have gone from running 2 minutes, to running 25 without stopping- and given my lungs have always been horrible this is quite a feat.

My problem is that it seems like my weight isn't moving down at all. I went down 2.5 a couple days ago, only to have it right back on! I don't get it.. I am actually TRYING to eat right and not starve myself. Any other time I have wanted to lose weight quickly I could barely eat and drop 10 pounds in a week and here I am doing everything right and NOTHING is happening.

I know some will say it is muscle weight, but honestly, my legs have ALWAYS been quite strong and lean, even when I have been bigger, so I can't see that that would be it. If I had at least dropped 5 pounds or so I would be okay, but this just seems useless right now and I need some encouragement. :(

Replies

• rachel871
    rachel871 Posts: 113 Member
    I got so frustrated when i first started, i thought i was doing really well and the scale didn't shift for two weeks. Since then though, I've been steadily losing between one and two pounds a week...

i know it's not really what you want to hear - but stick with it, i'm sure you'll see results soon!

also, your diary is private, maybe if you make it public people will be able to advise if there's anything you could be doing differently to kickstart your loss?

good luck! :)
  • tryinghard2012
    tryinghard2012 Posts: 419 Member
    There could be a number of reasons contributing to this gain.

http://www.healthdiscovery.net/articles/scale_lies.htm
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Eat all of the calories MFP gives you in a day and spread those extra calories back in during your day. I tend to log my workouts before I go to the gym so that helps me distribute the extra calories. If you're not eating back what you burn off on those days you will NOT lose. Your body is going into starvation mode, that's why you are not losing. Weight watchers works the very same way. There's a lot of posts on here about eating back your exercise calories, and I know it's controversial but that's how you lose the pound/week and keep it off.

Me too i log my exersie in the morning and eat slightly bigger meals that day!

Also you might find this helpfull

Are you eating to enough?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficit

This is just a part of it! please read the link above

Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle tone, and reducing fat. This means is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode)

Also this might be helpful http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/00trayn/view/how-to-bust-a-3-month-plateau-87677

Good luck on your journey
  • Hernandezedw
    Hernandezedw Posts: 284
    I highly recommend not using the scale very often. Maybe once every couple of weeks. You can use measurements once every couple of weeks. I seem to have a problem with my weight fluctuating about 3 or 4 lbs daily, so I try not to look too often.
  • k_ewilliams
    k_ewilliams Posts: 43
    Make your food diary public so we can see!
    You could be overlooking something in what you are eating.
  • Fenyx
    Fenyx Posts: 87 Member
    I have to agree with not weighing yourself often. Take measurements as well. It really could be muscle v. fat. I measure once a week or so, and weigh about as often. I fluctuate 2-4lb throughout the day from starting weight. Make sure you weigh yourself the same time and day (preferably after waking & bathroom relief and before eating) in the same clothes (or none at all teehee). It hasn't happened to me yet, but I know plenty of people who weigh the same, but lost inches from their body. So keep all these tips in mind and realize that it's gonna be a-Okay. We're all here with you, and if support is what you need, my arm muscles are much more able to hold things up now =D. Don't worry :)
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,228 Member
    I learned that as you lose body mass your basal metabolic rate gets lower. This means that the amount of calories you need to get through your day gets lowers. Maybe you should consider adjusting your calorie goals. I'm not a professional, and I'm just getting started. It's just a thought.
  • glfrgl
    glfrgl Posts: 5
    One thing I didn't see mentioned is sodium. If you are eating things high in sodium, your weight will go up. Stick with it, and try to eat more whole foods. That should help. Good luck!
  • Angiebug1969
    Angiebug1969 Posts: 152
    I just posted a blog about this very thing!!

I know that muscle weighs more than fat... and that with any diet & exercise plan, there's an adjustment phase. If you have the right formula... hang in there!! It's definitely a process! :flowerforyou:

Also... this is one reason I finish off my diet & exercise journal entries first thing in the mornings... I never put them in here in advance, only AFTER I've worked out & AFTER I've eaten... that way I know I'm getting everything... even the half a piece of Key Lime Pie last night! Ugh!

Anyway... hang in there Sweetie... we all get frustrated once in a while. (here's a link to my blog)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Angiebug1969
  • keirelle
    keirelle Posts: 2
    I just opened up my diary so you should all be able to read it now. Thanks for all of your replies, you are all very helpful. :)
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    I have read (and it makes sense) that muscle DOES not weigh more than fat - #5 is #5 whether it be muscle or fat - cotton or steel - but muscle is more dense than fat - which makes the body look better.

I've only lost ½ pound in the last week (which is nothing) but my clothes fit better - so even though the scale tells me I didn't lose much, my clothes tell me otherwise