Raging Appetite and Bloating During PMS and Menstruation

Options
tonispiliakos
tonispiliakos Posts: 7 Member
edited February 2015 in Motivation and Support
How does one keep it under control? Today, I started feeling the monthly bout o'bloating. I also feel like eating everything that's not bolted to the floor. I know that this will pass in a few days, but, good L-rd! The only thing that helps is an intense workout, but I can't spend the day on the AMT::

Replies

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Just eat - you're burning more calories right now anyway.
  • tonispiliakos
    tonispiliakos Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Really? Metabolism increases during the week before menstruation begins?
  • AvalonsUnicorn
    AvalonsUnicorn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    bump cause I too want to know!
  • kbare85
    kbare85 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Going through the same thing! My appetite is absolutely ravenous and my stomach is a bottomless pit. Every month it's the same thing! It's such a struggle.
  • Lindsay_the_great
    Lindsay_the_great Posts: 209 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    Just eat - you're burning more calories right now anyway.
    - Orrrrr.... Stick to your plan and reap the benefits of the extra burn. Stuff your face with low calorie, nutritionally dense foods so you can eat all you need. Work in a little square of dark chocolate. Enjoy it all conscientiously. Think about every bite you eat. Savor it all. Make it count.

• MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    Really? Metabolism increases during the week before menstruation begins?
    Only by a very small amount. I had read less than 100 calories. That's why some women GAIN weight (other than temporary water weight)...they eat much more than that due to cravings. Don't eat more.

• tomatoey
    edited February 2015
    Options
    If you're craving lots and are really hungry, you're going to be very uncomfortable with forced deprivation and maybe set yourself up to binge, even more than you would have otherwise. Maybe just have some of the main food you're craving and watch your nutrition for everything else. we have different needs (at different times)

http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv2/bhcarticles.nsf/pages/Nutrition_womens_extra_needs
  • mountainguru
    mountainguru Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I just started but I'm on this part of my cycle too. What I've done for the last couple of days is add an intense workout , burn a lot of calories then I can eat!!
  • Lindsay_the_great
    Lindsay_the_great Posts: 209 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    My favorite thing to do is to make a big pot of the classic weight watchers zero point soup and eat as much as I need. The problem with giving into cravings being that mine aware almost always sugar and carb cravings. And sugar and carb cravings lead to more sugar and carb cravings. It can be a viscous cycle. If you fill up on good stuff you can have a little indulgence or two without diving into that black hole.
  • pwatol
    pwatol Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I get monumentally frustrated every month when the scale stalls out or (gasp!) goes back up for a week. The random giant cravings don't help. One of my tricks is to give myself 1-2 servings of chocolate chips that I eat one at a time letting them slowly dissolve. It'll easily take over an hour to enjoy fully. And I just keep in mind that the end of the week will likely bring a drop of a couple of pounds if I stay with the program.
  • elamar12
    Options
    I'm totally the opposite. I can't eat anything when I start my period. I'm not hungry art all right now and I still have to eat 600 calories (plus I'll burn 550ish when I exercise tonight). Blah I hate this feeling.
  • tomatoey
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Yeah, I only suggested above for those who really feel obliged to focus on loss even then. I give myself blanket amnesty for anything I eat during the two days that make life unnecessarily hard. Last time, I had sour cream and onion chips and a honking bag of M&Ms for dinner, no fricks given. (I did that all through my major weight loss and four years of maintenance and it was fine.)
  • tiggertoo57
    Options
    I have the exact same issue! It's not even cravings... It's just constantly wanting to shove stuff in my face. I try to make myself busy and increase the amount of water I drink. I try to snack on veggies and crunchy fruits like apples. Forget filling up, its not about hunger. And the bloat?! I go up from a tight 8 to a 12 every month! It's terrible! Keep the sodium low too. Good bless sweetie. And may the force be with you ;) lol