Mother of 4 boys needs food prep essentials ideas

Options
icatcher26
icatcher26 Posts: 25
edited February 2015 in Food and Nutrition
I am a mother of 4 boys and they eat everything in sight. I need so simple food prep ideas so my feeding myself and them can be effective. Like food prep essentials... what essential foods have worked for you?????

Replies

• Angiefit4life
    Angiefit4life Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I have 3 boys 17, 14 and 9. I know what you mean!!!
  • harr3mi
    harr3mi Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I make a gigantic batch of a healthy turkey chili recipe I created. I freeze most and use the rest right away. I also make it last a little longer by adding elbow macaroni or other starches like brown rice to it. My kids love Dad's Chili Mac.

For snacks, I usually keep some hummus and veg or peanut butter and apples around the house. I also make a bunch of hard boiled eggs. Keeps me in stock on protein and the kids like it.

These are just a couple of the things I do. Hope it helps
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Baked potatoes. I always had a bunch in the fridge, I baked 20 on Sundays. I fried up bacon, grated cheese, green onions...they could make a baked potato any time, cover it with chili or whatever....this was much cheaper than snack foods, healthier, and easy, quick after school snack.
  • icatcher26
    Options
    icatcher26 wrote: »
    I'm a mother of 4 boys and they eat everything in sight. I need so simple food prep ideas so my feeding myself and them can be effective. Like food prep essentials
    Thank you all so much!!! Love the turkey chili
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I kept a stash of cheap calorie fillers in the house when I had teenagers. That included the jumbo no-name box of cookies, chinese noodles, and canned baked beans. The suggestions above look a lot healthier. My girlfriend who fostered many diabetic teenagers, kept a large bowl of fruit in the kitchen at all times.
  • icatcher26
    Options
    Thanks! @ the fruits I do and that's the only desert they get besides an occasional container of sherbet
  • Kabijots
    Kabijots Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I have three boys! I know the feeling :D

I often make up a big roast chicken dinner at the weekend and cook loads of extra drumsticks and thighs. Any leftover meat goes in the fridge and are useful for quick snacks/lunchboxes.

Big pans of tomato sauce (for pasta) with mince or tuna or chicken or Mediterranean veg; chilli (with loads of beans and bell peppers); casseroles filled with extra root veg. Leftovers can be portioned up and frozen. If boys come in starving, it only takes 15 mins max to cook pasta or rice and defrost sauce. Happy boys! Besides it's cheaper to cook in large batches.

Plus loads of bread, cereals and fruit. Tonnes of it! X
  • samthepanda
    samthepanda Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Root veg freeze well so buy when on offer. I peel and chop, then stick bowl with a little oil, herbs and garlic for few hours then freeze in portions. Just roast in oven for about 30 mins.

Cheese on brown toast with salami is a favorite snack here, also microwave popcorn.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    icatcher26 wrote: »
    I am a mother of 4 boys and they eat everything in sight. I need so simple food prep ideas so my feeding myself and them can be effective. Like food prep essentials... what essential foods have worked for you?????

I've been watching both these threads and wondered if you'd seen this other one? It may have tips you've not come across yet? :)
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/31271741#Comment_31271741
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Hard boiled eggs. I have 7 cooking up right now, and those will maybe last me 2 days, 3 days tops. Make anything you can in bulk; you'll save by buying larger packages of stuff, and have lots of food on hand for you and your boys!