Post baby weight...

Options
Hi! Im 21, and my daughter is about to be a year. Before I got pregnant I was extremely active. Im only 5 foot tall, & I played sports & worked out daily. I weighed around 110 & I was satisfied! But now nearly a year after an emergency c section with my baby, I'm realizing I haven't done a thing to drop my extra weight. Im 135 now, which on my short frame means double chin, big upper arms, & nice ole muffin top.

as of the past 6 days, I've been calorie counting on here based on my goal of losing 1.5 pounds a week, as well as exercising atleast every other day. sometimes running on a treadmill with some strength training or a nice power walk/jog while pushing my daughter.

basically... I have never had to lose weight before or felt so out of shape & unsatisfied! I wanna lose 15-20 pounds & hopefully be bikini body ready by summer! any tips appreciated!!!!

Replies

• LowCarbHeart
    LowCarbHeart Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Hi! I lost my post baby weight by eating low carb, but you are right on track with eating at a calorie deficit and all of those exercises are great. I had 2 c - sections and had to ease into exercising, just now starting to get into running. Feel free to add me!
  • Azathera
    Azathera Posts: 48 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I hear you. I used to have 116 pounds before the baby and I had been stable at that weight for years and years. Very fit. I used to do martial arts.
    After the baby (8 months old here) I weight 127 pounds.

You would think that is nor a lot, but oh boy, it is. It all went on my tummy and on my back. I've been going to the gym (got a membership) almost 2-3 times per week for a month and...nothing... I feel stronger, I am more muscular, but the weight loss has been low. I lost just two pounds in that month. It's still good, but I worked really hard (heart rate at 140 almost constantly) for 1-2 hours. I expected more.

We can get rid of it. But baby weight is really hard to lose. Our bodies are still adjusting, our blood volume is slightly higher, our hormones still ravage our bodies and we crave/eat more and we are a bit sleep deprived (or had been). But it can be done. It all narrows down to will power. Workout hard, eat carefully and you will get rid of the extra weight.

If you need a buddy, please add me. I am really excited about this. Today I did better than yesterday (so far) and I am really proud of myself. I hope you too!
  • madisonabrego
    Options
    Hi! I lost my post baby weight by eating low carb, but you are right on track with eating at a calorie deficit and all of those exercises are great. I had 2 c - sections and had to ease into exercising, just now starting to get into running. Feel free to add me!

I feel as though the eating is really where it's at ya know? being a stay at home mom who rarely has the car, when I am not doing anything or even when I am cleaning, I just wanna smack unnecessarily. and you can see it in my extra chunk lol. I just want that gone.. to fit into size small's, & not worry so hard about my angles when I take pics!
  • cal1417
    cal1417 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I hear you! My son just turned ten months and it has been horrible trying to get this baby weight off! I have knee and hip problems so I can't work out like I used to, but we bought a spin bike so I try and ride it at least once if not twice a day. I've got 20 more lbs to go and am trying to keep myself on a really tight calorie count-but it is HARD! Even the weeks I think I've been really good and lost weight, I'll either just maintain or only go down a tiny bit. Baby steps! Good to know I'm not the only one out there! Good luck to you!!
  • ashleyduh1
    ashleyduh1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My daughter is 6 weeks and I've gained 44 pounds. I've managed to lose 20 of it. I'm hoping to lose the rest by summer. We can do this mommas :)
  • Azathera
    Azathera Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    ashleyduh1 wrote: »
    My daughter is 6 weeks and I've gained 44 pounds. I've managed to lose 20 of it. I'm hoping to lose the rest by summer. We can do this mommas :)

Yep. Yep. :smile:
  • BrittanieGo
    BrittanieGo Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I had our 4th (and 4th c section) 4 months ago. I have just in the last week really started to do anything about the 25 lbs I gained. I am a SAHM also. I try to use the 15 minute naps the baby takes to do some of the videos on hulu.
  • emmavagg
    emmavagg Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    42lbs gained here!!

Lost 16 already and baby is 8 weeks old. My goal is to get down to 140lbs by June (currently 167) I am exclusively breastfeeding which according to the NHS burns 500 calories a day. I have been adding these to my diary and I am set up to loose 1lb a week but so far I have been loosing 3. I think it might be water etc. I have never ever had to loose so much weight and this is my second baby. My ultimate goal would be to get down to about 135lbs by December (baby's first birthday) but we will see ;)
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I'm a stay at home mom of 2 boys. My youngest is 8 months old and the oldest is 3yrs. I gained about 42lbs in the 41 weeks I was pregnant with my youngest. I hit my prepregnancy weight back in Nov. and I am currently trying to get back to my pre-marriage weight (a little over 20lbs to go). I was using nap time for workouts, but at the beginning of the month my husband got us a membership to the local YMCA. Now I go to the gym in the morning and take advantage of the 2hrs of child care that comes with our membership. I recently started lifting as well (...well heavier weights then what I have at home) and while that may slow my weight loss, it will hopefully give me the leaner body that I want.

Goodluck everyone.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I'm a stay at home mom of 2 boys. My youngest is 8 months old and the oldest is 3yrs. I gained about 42lbs in the 41 weeks I was pregnant with my youngest. I hit my prepregnancy weight back in Nov. and I am currently trying to get back to my pre-marriage weight (a little over 20lbs to go). I was using nap time for workouts, but at the beginning of the month my husband got us a membership to the local YMCA. Now I go to the gym in the morning and take advantage of the 2hrs of child care that comes with our membership. I recently started lifting as well (...well heavier weights then what I have at home) and while that may slow my weight loss, it will hopefully give me the leaner body that I want.

Goodluck everyone.

Keep lifting weights. It is not going to slow your weight loss.
    As long as you are eating a calorie deficit, you will lose weight. Good luck.

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »

Goodluck everyone.

Keep lifting weights. It is not going to slow your weight loss.
    As long as you are eating a calorie deficit, you will lose weight. Good luck.

I guess what I meant is more in terms of water retention. I always retain a crap ton of water when I start a new exercise or increase intensity. So in terms of what the scale shows, it will seem to slow for a bit and then suddenly drop off.

edit: Oh, and I love lifting. It's been a long time since I've had access to the equipment to do it.
  • MrCoolGrim
    MrCoolGrim Posts: 351 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Hi OP, Is there a community center or something around where you live that you and your little one can attend? For example swiming. Something to keep you busy and to get you out of the house and moving around.
  • bettieb1988
    bettieb1988 Posts: 122 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I have had two babies both by c section. It takes a lot of work to lose the weight and it seems each time around is harder. With this last pregnancy I ballooned from being 5'5" 125lbs to 189lbs! I was pretty upset with myself for allowing it to get so out of control. Right now I'm 4 months post partum and sitting at 152lbs. So I have a little more weight to lose. It just takes hardwork and dedication every single day but you can do it! Don't be discouraged. It took time to put the weight on and it will take time to get it off!

PS: almost all my workouts are done at home during nap time! I just put on an exercise video in my living room an use hand weights. You can do it without ever having to leave the house if you don't want or can't.
  • nature33
    Options
    I gained 38 lbs and have had the hardest time getting it off too! My son is 1 year next month. It's so hard getting anything done with him. Does losing weight ever get easier after having a babe? Lol
  • emmavagg
    emmavagg Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Really glad to see that I am not the only one who is struggling :#

I am absolutely desperate to get back into my Pre pregnancy clothes !!