how to determine my bone size...m or s?

Options
2»

Replies

• dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    A tape measure may be better than fingers- my fingers are very long; some people have short fingers.
  • hiphop10
    hiphop10 Posts: 135 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Id rather use the tape measure also.

• annika2012
    annika2012 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    ...which is why you should just measure:

Women:

Height under 5'2"
    Small = wrist size less than 5.5"
    Medium = wrist size 5.5" to 5.75"
    Large = wrist size over 5.75"
    Height 5'2" to 5' 5"
    Small = wrist size less than 6"
    Medium = wrist size 6" to 6.25"
    Large = wrist size over 6.25"
    Height over 5' 5"
    Small = wrist size less than 6.25"
    Medium = wrist size 6.25" to 6.5"
    Large = wrist size over 6.5"

I was going to mention the same thing. It's far less complicated than measuring with your index finger or measuring your elbow. Knowing your built helps to figure out where your goal should be.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    According to that chart, I'm not only small, I'm teeny-tiny. At 5'1" tall, my wrists measure 5.25" on my dominant hand, and 5" on my non-dominant hand.

I don't think it has any effect on my weight loss efforts, though. Maybe on my bracelet or watch strap purchasing habits.
  • hiphop10
    edited February 2015
    Options
    The elbow is used by insurance companies
  • GingerbreadCandy
    GingerbreadCandy Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Last time I tried this, I got mixed results, with a small bone structure on my write and thick at my elbows…

Maybe my boyfriend knows a med student who needs to practice a DEXA scan, I really would love to know, out of curiosity.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    According to that chart, I'm not only small, I'm teeny-tiny. At 5'1" tall, my wrists measure 5.25" on my dominant hand, and 5" on my non-dominant hand.

I don't think it has any effect on my weight loss efforts, though. Maybe on my bracelet or watch strap purchasing habits.

It has a effect on what your goal weight should be--especially since BMI is overly-generous to the teeny-tiny to begin with.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    A tape measure may be better than fingers- my fingers are very long; some people have short fingers.

yeah, I have huge long fingers and my 17 yo daughter has what she calls "the hands of a small child." Her fingers won't go around ANYONE's wrist unless they are in kindergarten, mine will comfortably span even a large man's.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    It has a effect on what your goal weight should be--especially since BMI is overly-generous to the teeny-tiny to begin with.

That'd be true if I were basing my goals on BMI.

Anyway, bone size is one variable, but muscle mass is a much more important factor.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    As one on the "teeny tiny" end of things bone structure wise, I don't know that I'd call BMI "generous." When I was a healthy, comfortable size for my frame, I got all kinds of concern trolling accusing me of having an ED. And, if I hadn't taken it upon myself to freak out about my massive jiggly belly, I would still be carrying extra fat around under the delusion that I was "just right" for my height according to BMI.

BMI is not a good marker for individuals. It's a macro-level tool for analysing whole population groups. Using it to monitor individuals is a bit like giving financial advice under the assumption that we all have some determined "average" income, skillset, and risk tolerance.
  • meechi53
    meechi53 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I always thought I could put some stock in the bone structure wrist test, although I've never seen an actual chart. I'm 5'2 with 6.5 inch wrists, and even when I wasn't overweight (back on MFP need to lose about 40 lbs) I always thought I had HUGE knees as far as the bones were concerned. So according to this I'm large boned, as I always thought I was. Which is probably why I feel I look my best when I'm still on the higher end of the weight charts.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Wrists don't take that much fat unless morbidly obese in which case just losing fat is a great goal ...the wrist size / forearm is as good a measurement as anything and there are millions of online calculators

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/imagepages/17182.htm
    this cannot be correct for most. it says Im small frame and there is no way Im small framed never have never will be.I was thin when I was younger but still never had a small frame.I have always had skinny arms even when I gained almost 70lbs. that was and still is the smallest part of me lol

• hiphop10
    Options
    dexa scan is done by a technologist/licensed bone density operator

• hiphop10
    Options
    Following is the method the Metropolitan Life Insurance Company used to calculate frame size:

Extend your arm in front of your body bending your elbow at a ninety degree angle to your body so that your forearm is parallel to your body.
    Keep your fingers straight and turn the inside of your wrist towards your body.
    Place your thumb and index finger on the two prominent bones on either side of your elbow, then measure the distance between the bones with a tape measure or calipers.
    Compare to the chart below. The chart lists elbow measurements for a medium frame - if your elbow measurement for that particular height is less than the number of inches listed, you are a small frame - if your elbow measurement for that particular height is more than the number of inches listed, your are a large frame.
    Elbow Measurements for Medium Frame

Elbow Measurements for Medium Frame
    for the chart go to
    Following is the method the Metropolitan Life Insurance ...

• hiphop10
    edited February 2015
    Options
    that's a good site nice & easy to use it confirms my bone size is small thank you.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Surely the best way to figure out what you should weigh is guess a number in the middle of where you think (using BMI, waist circumference, whatever) and see what it looks like on you as you approach your target and adjust as necessary?

All this discussion of wrist size seems like over-complicating things to me. Maybe better to spend energy on actually developing a plan of how you're going to get to your target and executing on it?

Just saying.
  • llUndecidedll
    llUndecidedll Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    ...which is why you should just measure:

Women:

Height under 5'2"
    Small = wrist size less than 5.5"
    Medium = wrist size 5.5" to 5.75"
    Large = wrist size over 5.75"
    Height 5'2" to 5' 5"
    Small = wrist size less than 6"
    Medium = wrist size 6" to 6.25"
    Large = wrist size over 6.25"
    Height over 5' 5"
    Small = wrist size less than 6.25"
    Medium = wrist size 6.25" to 6.5"
    Large = wrist size over 6.5"

My wrist is 6.75 inches and I am 5'6. Does this mean my ultimate goal weight should be higher than 125ish lbs? Maybe 150 lbs?
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Granted my wrist isn't that much smaller (one hole on a watch band so roughly 1/4"), but that's after only 25 lbs lost. There are plenty of people on her who have lost 100+ lbs. I would imagine their wrists shrank by much more.

I lost 126 lbs before and my wrist size never changed. My wrist is tiny no matter how much I weigh.
  • InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    Maybe we should be focusing more on body fat % than a weight on a scale or wrist size. Regardless of bone structure there are healthy body fat % to aim for. The number on the scale is not going to be the best indicator of health.
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    ^^ Most body fat calculators take your frame size into account (they'll ask for your wrist measurement).

Frame size is helpful. With 6" wrists at 5'1", the above puts me at large framed. I know that I'm not going to get down to 100 lbs like some other women my height. (I already knew that, but verification is nice.)