Addicted to PROCESSED FOODS!!

Options
Hi everyone. Just wanted to see if any of you share the same problem that I'm having. Throughout the day I'm very good about eating lean, healthy meats and vegetables. Usually at night, I start craving really bad foods like cheeze its, chips, ice cream, cookies, chocolate, basically anything processed. I'm starting to think I'm addicted to processed foods. I can't go one day without them. What's going on here?! Does anyone else feel this way or have suggestions?

Replies

• theresabell67
    theresabell67 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I'm soooooo glad someone else is in the same ball park. I too would be interested in what works for others
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    it takes time to weed those things out of your diet...and ill be the first to admit that i havent completely taken them out of mine. Moderation is the key!
  • losermomof3
    losermomof3 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem!!! I have found the more working out and drinking water I do it helps.
  • Kristyb1010
    Kristyb1010 Posts: 39
    Options
    I'm feeling the same way... would love to see what others have to say....
  • lynnmarie60
    lynnmarie60 Posts: 325
    Options
    I go through that at times, especially at night. I'm great during the day but at night I seem to want the "bad" stuff so I just make sure I have low calorie fixes like the weight watchers ice cream candy bars (4 pts) or weight watchers chocolate cakes (2pts) or reduced fat ice cream with strawberry perserves or sherbet ice cream on hand. Just keep a variety of low fat goodies on hand and make sure you have room on your calorie intake for it throughout that day just in case.
    What I find happens to me is, if I have it on hand I don't want it as much but if it's not in the house I crave it like crazy.

Good luck, I know how hard it is, just stay strong and keep on track no matter what.
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    and easier said than done especially if you dont live alone, but if you can do it, dont keep them in the house...that would be the only thing that would work for me lol. but with a husband who likes his junk food every once in a while, and kids, cookies and ice cream are going to be in this house at one point or another...i can control my appetite for them pretty well though.
  • chantihayes
    chantihayes Posts: 76
    Options
    me too! But I gave them up.. infact, after dinner I dont eat anything, unless it's something like sugar-free jell-o or a granola bar. I dont keep things like that in the house anymore, so even if i want them , I can't have them :) If I feel like eating, I drink some juice (for me, its more filling than water), or if it's time for my p90x workout, i do that.

oh, and i have 3 kids and a husband in the house, but if i can eay healthy so can they! :)
  • berniemay
    berniemay Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    it takes time to weed those things out of your diet...and ill be the first to admit that i havent completely taken them out of mine. Moderation is the key!
    I agree!! I haven't been able to completely eliminate these foods, but I have been able to limit them.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    I am working on this issue right now. I decided I needed to change my nightly habits to a healthier pattern. It is like breaking an addiction, it takes a few weeks of doing something different to break the habit. I listen to guided meditation cd's for weightloss, kelly howell makes good ones. It works for me if even just to relax me(I get anxious when my cravings kick in) and it keeps me busy for half an hour. Also at night I have light kettle corn since it is salty and sweet, it helps me avoid the eating something salty then sweet then salty again...........you know the deal. Good luck
  • sh3lby03
    sh3lby03 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    As soon as you're done your eating your healthy dinner, brush your teeth. No matter how much you crave the junk after that, it will all taste bad if you have the toothpaste aftertaste going on. That's one of the tricks I try to use.
  • mamarundrc
    mamarundrc Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    I haven't and have no desire to completely eliminate these items from my diet. I know if I do I will not stay on track. I budget them into my daily calories, by 100 calorie packs (or separate them into serving size baggies) and allow myself to have them once in a while. I found that once I stopped trying to cut them out I didn't crave them as much.

I have drastically reduced my consumption of processed foods but my reality is that they will always be a part of my life so I found it was better to learn how to live with them and still stay on track
  • JesaGrace
    JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    If you have a real problem completely eliminating them from your diet, then don't go cold turkey.....just take smaller portions......and then gradually make them smaller every time.....til you have the willpower not to eat them......it's like quitting smoking(not that I know anything about it), but a lot of people can't go off smoking cold turkey.....
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. Just wanted to see if any of you share the same problem that I'm having. Throughout the day I'm very good about eating lean, healthy meats and vegetables. Usually at night, I start craving really bad foods like cheeze its, chips, ice cream, cookies, chocolate, basically anything processed. I'm starting to think I'm addicted to processed foods. I can't go one day without them. What's going on here?! Does anyone else feel this way or have suggestions?

Since your diary isn't public, it's hard to help you determine what triggers it. Before MFP, I was HUGE night-time nibbler. I could do well all day, but end up eating 1000+ calories after dinner. *ugh... that was hard to write and acknowledge*

I noticed when I cleaned up my daytime eating, the night nibbles started to go away. What I mean by that is I try not to eat simple carbs during the day - sugar, white flour, etc. I've also noticed if I don't eat enough during the day, the night nibbles start to come out too.

To try to fix that, I've made sure to stock up on things I like but won't wreck my day - Blue diamond toffee almonds or the cocoa dusted one's, skinny cow ice cream, laughing cow cheese, sugar free pudding, etc. If I think I'm going to have a "nibble night", I log my snacks in advance and make sure I limit it JUST to those.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Plan for a small snack later in the evening. I have a juice bar (all natural, instead of ice cream) before bed. I also allow a bowl of berries or celery stuffed with peanut butter or even some popcorn a couple hours after dinner. Then when the craving start, I remind myself that I have 'that snack' coming up...just hold out until then.

My partner has been very supportive of my lifestyle changes and does not require junk food in the house. I do have a few healthier versions of some snacks for him and the kids, but not a whole lot. They eat fruit and veggies and drink water, right along with me :).

It helps!
  • Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    get the food out the house. if it isn't there, you can't eat it. grit your teeth, brush your teeth, drink water and don't touch it. no one's making you eat it but you. are you capable of eating tiny amounts or are you an all-or-nothing person in that area?

also, sweet fruits help. mango, strawberries, etc. mix them with some plain yogurt, kefir, etc.
  • krisvtx8777
    krisvtx8777 Posts: 163
    Options
    Also a work in progress always in my house with 3 kids, while I wish they loved healthy foods like me, they don't but I've tried my best to get the "lesser evil" options, they may not still be the best, but better than the total junk. I've replaced with some healthier cereals, granola bars, baked chips etc. Like I said still not the best, but even when I give in to temptation now it doesn't totally throw off all my hard work!

I have to eat something BEFORE I walk in the door to my house or immediately cook myself a healthy meal or snack. It's one of the only ways to keep me on track, I fill up as much as I can on veggies since I love them and it takes away my craving for the junk.
    I drink hot green tea or make a fruit smoothie with greek yogurt if I feel a binge coming on.
  • SoFancySoBlessed
    SoFancySoBlessed Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    HONEY YOU HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD!!! I TRY NOW NOT TO EVEN BUY THOSE TYPES OF THING, BUT I HAVE KIDS AND THATS WHAT THEY WANT :blushing: WE ARE NOT A "PROCESSED FOOD" TYPE FAMILY BUT SOMETIMES YOU WANT THE JUNK.....MY ADVICE, IF YOU HAVE TO HAVE IT, SPRING FOR THE 100 CALORIE PACKS....BELIEVE ME IT HELPS, A LOT! :bigsmile: STOCK MORE OF YOU FAVORITE FRUITS AND VEGGIES AND LESS OF THE PROCESSED FOODS, EXAMPLE, INSTEAD OF SNACKING ON MY CHIPS AND DIP....I GET POPCORN, NO BUTTER, NO SALT....THAT GIVES ME MY CRUNCH FACTOR WITHOUT MAKING ME FEEL "ICK" :sick: AFTERWARDS. GOOD LUCK! :heart:
  • riehlmom
    riehlmom Posts: 3
    Options
    I understand your problem! Processed foods are sooo cheap compared to fresh, better, homemade, etc.... our food budget went through the roof (almost double!) when we started buying fresh produce, even after cutting back some items we usually get.
  • Bridgidm2000
    Options
    I too have a daughter at home. We mostly use the 100 calorie packs for her (she does not have a weight problem!) If I'm having a really bad craving we'll go for a walk or do something to get my mind off of it. But every once and a while she'll request chips ahoy or oreos. If I want them, I have two or three and that little bit seems to do the trick.
    Bridgid
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    regarding the 100 calorie packs, I find it is cheaper to buy the regular package and measure the serving size myself so I reach 100 calories.