New to MFP

Ate 1200 calories today and jogged six miles so burned around 700 calories - I just finished my dairy for the day, but the app said I was being unhealthy - but then said I should be aiming for 1000-1200 calories?! Surely I should not eat more to exercise? Might sound stupid, but just new to diet and exercise

Replies

• hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Your base deficit is where you lose the weight -- and 1200 is already extremely low. If you're running six miles on top of that, you need to replace at least some of that. On a 6 mile run, I'd eat back at least 350 of those calories. And as the week goes along, listen to your body -- if you're tired and grumpy all the time, bump up your intake to something more reasonable.
  • hill8570 wrote: »
    Your base deficit is where you lose the weight -- and 1200 is already extremely low. If you're running six miles on top of that, you need to replace at least some of that. On a 6 mile run, I'd eat back at least 350 of those calories. And as the week goes along, listen to your body -- if you're tired and grumpy all the time, bump up your intake to something more reasonable.

What do u think I should eat - a nutrition bar? Or something like that? Thanks for the advice!
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    hill8570 wrote: »

What do u think I should eat - a nutrition bar? Or something like that? Thanks for the advice!

Personally, I prefer to eat real food. It depends on what you personally like to eat. Yogurt, bread and butter, piece of chicken, a banana...the list goes on forever. Listen to your body -- if you're craving something in particular, there's usually a reason. You don't get extra credit for suffering.
  • Ok - thank you!!
  • What is kestosis?
    I added a banana to my breakfast this am - abt to go out for my run - so u think some kind of a protein shake after? I do take a multi vitemin to - does that matter?