Excersise makes me gain! Help!

Options
Hi all, quick equation.
After walking 5 hours ( intense hill walking ) on Sunday.... I gained 4 pounds. These pounds stick and I can't get them off! This happened 2 weeks ago too and I am still struggling to shift them. It's really getting me down... Any advice would be great. It's making me want to sit still and starve!

Thanks

Replies

• pinkshoelaces
    pinkshoelaces Posts: 111 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Well, you didn't spontaneously gain 4 pounds of fat (or muscle for that matter) from walking. You're probably retaining some water from putting your body through such an rigorous exercise. This happens to most people who do an exercise that is new or more intense than normal and it usually adjusts within a couple weeks. I know that my weight stood still for quite awhile after I started working out more.

Just relax and maybe do some slightly lighter exercise for a little while and I'm sure the weight will go back down (as long as you're also taking care to keep track of how much you're eating).
  • carrie2k5
    carrie2k5 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you, I just needed a bit of encouragement :) I rarely go on ver my daily intake of cals! I'm hoping it goes soon :(
  • spamarie
    spamarie Posts: 2,825 Member
    Options
    Same thing has happened to me. I'd been steadily losing about 1lb/week while exercising about once a week. I've upped my activity to proper exercise at least 3 times a week and bam I've stopped losing weight for the past 4 weeks. I've tried to eat the same as before, however I will admit exercising more makes me hungrier! I don't count exercise calories as calories I can 'eat back' and try not to eat much more than usual, but it must be too much. Oh well I will stick with it because regardless of weight loss, I do feel better and fitter for it. It's pretty discouraging though!
  • zipitzippy
    zipitzippy Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Same thing happened to me after a few more strenuous workouts, the scales went up 3 llbs yet I didn't feel bigger. But I've literally got down to the pre weight in the last few days - took about 1 1/2 -2 weeks. Stay committed and it'll come off before you know it.
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Well, you didn't spontaneously gain 4 pounds of fat (or muscle for that matter) from walking. You're probably retaining some water from putting your body through such an rigorous exercise.

Make sure to stretch properly and drink plenty of water, and things will balance out soon.

Your weight can also be affected by your cycle, sodium, food in your digestive tract, etc.
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    Options
    Yup, just water retention. I habitually "gain" 3-4 lb after lifting. If the scale bothers you, just don't weigh in the day or two after a strenuous workout - or weigh every day and learn to recognize how your body fluctuations in response to things like rigorous exercise, high sodium intake, alcohol, etc.