Figuring Out Portions

Options
Hello!

Does any one know of a good website that has portion-control guides? I don't really have a good handle on what 4oz of Chicken looks like, or what the correct portion of pasta is meant to be...all bets are off when I need to gauge 100 grams of pretty much anything!

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Why don't you just buy a food scale? You can pick up a digital for all of $15 bucks...
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Food scale.
  • itstimeRK
    itstimeRK Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I have a food scale. You can find a reasonably priced one on Amazon.
  • acmanna
    acmanna Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    This might work for you
    http://www.healthyeating.org/Portals/0/Documents/Schools/Parent Ed/Portion_Sizes_Serving_Chart.pdf

but I would say a food scale is a lot better, after some time using it you can better guesstimate your food weight if needed. It has helped me learn a good bit about portions.
  • pinkiezoom
    pinkiezoom Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    A good rule of thumb is buy food scales and also look on the pasta pack to see what their serving suggestion is, in the UK it is 75gms, ( which made me sad as it is not that much lol ) but its a good starting point to see what the manufacturers recommend for prepacked stuff. Also the scales are good as you know exactly the weight of your food.
  • bigjon78
    bigjon78 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You have to weigh it, one of my biggest issues was portion size and I was shocked when I first started to weigh my food just how much I was eating. Some foods are deceptively dense too and 100g is a lot less than you would think. Also food packaging deceives you, a "portion" according to the packet is often a tiny amount that most people would exceed easily.
    After a while you will get good at measuring by eye, but I always pop it on the scale to check, it's another little challenge for yourself
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    A scale, measuring cups, and spoons are inexpensive and really helps until you get used to judging correct portion sizes. There is a visual chart that gives you an idea, but not 100% accurate. For instance a serving size for meat is about the size of a deck of cards.
  • MindySaysWhaaat
    MindySaysWhaaat Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I recently bought a digital food scale and a set of measuring cups/spoons from Walmart. The cups/spoons were 88 cents, and the scale was maybe around 15 bucks. It's been helping me enormously.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Time to buy a food scale! My most valuable weight loss tool!