Office Food

Replies

• wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Fortunately my office is a floor below the kitchen/break room. We have our own fridge in our room and a keurig. We only have to go upstairs to get water. The other ladies that share my room are health conscious so we bear one another up lol
  • jazzy550
    jazzy550 Posts: 264 Member
    Wizzy, that's good that you have people in the office like that; where I work there are a few but most like to indulge.
  • I can't eat gluten so that pretty much cuts away any appeal for food in the lounge.
  • soccerkon26
    soccerkon26 Posts: 596 Member
    I've eaten a donut at work before. Other times I'll take one just to please the people around me (and to get them to stop asking me what's wrong)...then I say I'm going to eat it after my lunch (and then I throw it away!)
  • transientcanuck
    transientcanuck Posts: 82 Member
    I sometimes have this problem too. It helps not going into the break room, but that's unavoidable if I need to top up my coffee.

A way I can stop myself from eating office treats is packing my own snacks. I pre-log for the day, and unless I have some extra calories leftover, I don't eat any treats. However, sometimes temptation does get the best of me.

Another thing I do is reflect on how these treats are store-bought and that they're no more special than anything else. It's different if someone brings in a homemade cake, but if it's from the supermarket then I feel less compelled to try it because I know it's always going to be available.
  • kayeiam
    kayeiam Posts: 215 Member
    well, my office always has lots of goodies (including pizza) and lots during the holidays. (right now there are cookies, bags of chips, fudge and container of life savers/jolly ranchers.

I am diabetic so I usually ask my self... is that cookie worth losing a toe over? is that bag of chips worth going blind.. etc. (this usually does the trick for me and I walk away).

I love Pizza and so I also implant the vison of the pizza maker having really dirty nasty hair hanging down in his face. I picture him wipping his snotty nose. I also picture him, getting close to that pizza and spitting on it... Yup, this picture in my head sure does the trick.. LOL
  • PositivelyFlawed
    PositivelyFlawed Posts: 316 Member
    I encounter this. Someone is always bringing in muffins or donuts or chocolates and we have catered lunches up to 6 times a month sometimes. The snacks I can politely decline, several times in a row, but the lunchs it's considered rude to not participate. Thankfully all the lunches usually include some kind of salad, so i just try to balance my plate with 1/2 salad then 1/4 each for grain (bread or rice or potato) and meats. Depending on what's offered I may indulge in a dessert offering. One place that caters has to die for desserts and I cannot resist so i just make it work for my day!
  • Booecky
    Booecky Posts: 2 Member
    Last week was a co-workers birthday and he brought in a cake over two days - I politely refused many times, and he also knew I was on a diet too, and really trying, until such point he threw a strop, said he'd get really upset with me if I didn't have any, cut a piece and put it on my desk. I had to sneak it into the bin when he wasn't looking :( (I hate wasting food but I just couldn't bring myself to eat it!!)
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    I've eaten a donut at work before. Other times I'll take one just to please the people around me (and to get them to stop asking me what's wrong)...then I say I'm going to eat it after my lunch (and then I throw it away!)

Throw....away....a donut? I'm pretty sure that's a crime in some states. If not, it should be.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    I just have a blanket ban on office food. No one even asks me any more because they know I don't eat anything that's been catered in, any special occasion treats, or anything that just gets brought for communal consumption. It's just easier that way to say "No, sorry."

If I never eat any of it, then I don't really think about wanting to eat it either. And most of the time it's not worth it anyway...stale pastries, the same "gourmet" sandwiches that seem to turn up once a week, whatever it is, it's never as good as I want it to be.
  • jazzy550
    I sometimes have this problem too. It helps not going into the break room, but that's unavoidable if I need to top up my coffee.

A way I can stop myself from eating office treats is packing my own snacks. I pre-log for the day, and unless I have some extra calories leftover, I don't eat any treats. However, sometimes temptation does get the best of me.

Another thing I do is reflect on how these treats are store-bought and that they're no more special than anything else. It's different if someone brings in a homemade cake, but if it's from the supermarket then I feel less compelled to try it because I know it's always going to be available.

That's what I did the last "sugar party"; I allowed myself to have a mini cupcake but then it was so dry I spit it out. All the stuff was store bought.
  • MaryCS62
    MaryCS62 Posts: 266 Member
    I love bagels (the big, chewy, bagel bakery ones!) but between the calories & the carbs, I really can't fit it into my day (for me--diabetic, so have to spread out my carbs through the day) & it would be close to a third of my daily calories.
    However--I still eat them. When someone brings them in, I bring one home, weigh it, & slice off an acceptable (to me) amount for my next day's breakfast. I'll usually pair a 60-70 gm slice (170-190 calories, if I remember right) with egg beaters & ff cheese. It's still a chunk of carbs, but then I have protein with it, & lighten up on my carbs for the rest of the day.
    I've not had too much trouble ignoring the other stuff--I really need to get my health problems under control, & while I've been doing this, on & off, for 25-30 years (since the end of college), this time I have to really stick with it. I'm working on halting the diabetic retinopathy that was diagnosed a few years ago, & I'm deathly afraid of losing my eyesight, so no donut or brownie is worth that.
  • wizzybeth

Throw....away....a donut? I'm pretty sure that's a crime in some states. If not, it should be.

Only if it's a Krispy Kreme donut.

• andreamaym
    andreamaym Posts: 179 Member
    We actually had a lunch to welcome a new member of our team today! I stuck with a grilled buffalo chicken wrap, no sides.
  • wizzybeth
    edited February 2015
    Accidental
    Double post
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Yeah when people bring in office food, ESPECIALLY CHEESCAKE!!11 I like to take slices and throw them in my garbage can. All day. Just chucking co-workers baked goods in my garbage can. No need for everyone to be eating all the unclean food that makes us fat.
    vVjyw.gif
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    I choose the food I bring into the office. It's only a couple of us. Yesterday and today was bacon chocolate and I did not share.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member

I don't understand people who like to throw away food. I can't post what I think about them on this board, because people are too thin skinned here, but it's really just sad to see that type of wasp entitlement.
  • jazzy550
    wasp entitlement? I think that is a little racist! people of all walks of life waste! they waste water and they over use other resources with not regard, but to say its only entitled whites that waste is a little offensive. Is drinking from plastic bottles a "wasp entitlement"?
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member

I eat about 5 donuts at work on Fridays... ugh. no will power.