Calling fellow horse riders

Options
Hi, I have recently started eating healthily to lose weight and so far am finding it quite enjoyable. Exercise on the other hand...I hate!!! My question is, as a horse owner I am in and around the stables most days and ride most other day.....is this enough? Or should I be doing other forms of exercise too? Any other fellow horsey people on here that have given their steeds a lighter load? And can you recommend exercises to do with your horse? Also be interested to hear if your riding has improved due to losing weight?

Replies

• juliavitalee
    Options
    Riding and working around the barn is definitely more work than others think it is. Being active is key, and on days I ride I don't do any other exercise however if you don't think riding is enough you can always do something else
  • fionafieldsmay
    fionafieldsmay Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I agree! It is hard work but because you are enjoying it you don't think of it as exercise? I can't bring myself to do any other exercise when that's valuable time I could be spending with my horse lol
  • WestslopeCutty
    WestslopeCutty Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I've read many a time that Pilates is great for riding. Better balance and core strength = nicer to your pony's back. :-) I've found that I'm better at riding bareback since I've started doing yoga.
  • karenk2f
    karenk2f Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    For me, being with my horses is a great form of stress relief. It is also a great distraction for that boredom eating. When I'm riding, I'm not eating! :smile: But, on the other hand, I do other exercises in addition to being with the horses. As for your other question about if it helps your riding. Again, for me, very much so. Way more balance, endurance and overall enjoyment. Nothing feels as good as posting the trot for a long period of time and not having your 'extra weight' posting right behind! (no pun intended) Everyone is different. You'll find what works for you and your situation. Good luck!! Happy riding!
  • granturismo
    granturismo Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Pilates is a great suggestion to improve core stability which should improve a rider's seat. Unfortunately if you look at the variety of body shapes in the riding world, riding and stable work arent enough for everyone.
    I started c25k last year and now run 3 times per week and found I am less out of breath in the saddle.
    Also, losing weight has to be good for the horse's back.
  • fionafieldsmay
    fionafieldsmay Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    This is really interesting reading thank you for all your comments I'm feeling excited and even more determined to lose weight now!!
    I worry so much about my horses back even though she's a chunky girl. I have looked in to getting Pilates for the wii to begin with, thank you for the suggestion definitely giving that a try!!
  • steff274
    steff274 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I work with horses and have my own when I wanted to lose weight I joined a gym I go to the gym now because I love it.. Find an activity you enjoy or if you muck out stables for hours you can burn a decent amount of calories!! ;)
  • donnawtm
    donnawtm Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    It's definitely good exercise as I've put my weight on since I lost my horse. Probably only as long as you keep moving and push yourself, I used to do all jobs in the morning before going home to get ready for work (so I could ride in the evening) so was always rushing used to be sweating by the time I was done. I've heard pilates is great for riding too x