Last 8 lbs to lose!

Options
Help! I am down to my last 8 lbs to lose and the scale is NOT budging. I have my goal set to 1350 a day. I am working out now more than ever (5 days a week). Sometimes I eat some of my exercise calories back but usually not all of them. I'm looking for advice on whether I should increase or decrease my calorie intake. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    How long have you been stuck? do you use a food scale? When weight loss slows or stalls it means you are possibly eating at maintenance.
  • njay51404
    njay51404 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I do consistently use a food scale. I have lost a total of .4 pound since January 26th.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    At the last few pounds, logging needs to be really tight.
  • B055A55B1CH
    B055A55B1CH Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You're so close! Congrats! I had a stall and I kept my calorie intake at where it would be if I hadn't exercised but lowered my carbs (80-100 grams) and increased my protein. Also, I switched up my exercising to stairs. Real stairs. And, I walked hills. The idea is to get your heart rate up and then ease it back down and then up again. So you could walk, jog, walk, jog. Total workout time for the day was an hour. I dropped 2.5 lbs a week doing that. My metabolism is slow so that was impressive. Now, it's time to take my own advice!
  • queenliz99
    Options
    You need to open your diary
  • njay51404
    Options
    Jencbrown19, thanks for the advice! I've increased my protein with protein bars before or after a workout but I have not decreased carbs. I will try that. Queenliz99, how do I open my diary?
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 698 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    If you're still losing at all you're on the right track. Tighten up any inaccuracies in your logging and maybe try to eat no more than half of your exercise calories back.

Also, check the accuracy of your burns (it's generally agreed that MFP burns are inaccurate). There are many sites that will give you estimates based on your weight and whatnot.

http://www.acaloriecalculator.com/calories-burned-calculator/
    http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc

I use whatever gives me the lowest value. I discovered the hard way that even an HRM grossly overestimated my burns.
  • njay51404
    Options
    Thanks WickedPinapple! Although when I see what MFP tells me I burned, I often think I had to have burned MORE than that!
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    njay51404 wrote: »
    I do consistently use a food scale. I have lost a total of .4 pound since January 26th.

So in about a week, you've lost about half a pound. That's what you should expect to lose in the last 8 pounds. It sounds like the main thing you need to change is your expectations.
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    No problem. It's incredibly tempting to use higher burns, but it won't do you any favors in the long run.
  • njay51404
    Options
    I've lost .4 lbs in 2.5 weeks. I know that is better than nothing but I don't think my expectations (.5 lbs a week) is unreasonable is it?
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Help! I am down to my last 8 lbs to lose and the scale is NOT budging. I have my goal set to 1350 a day. I am working out now more than ever (5 days a week). Sometimes I eat some of my exercise calories back but usually not all of them. I'm looking for advice on whether I should increase or decrease my calorie intake. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Congratulations on the weight you've lost.

The last 8 pounds will come off much slower, as they should. 1350, plus not eating back cardio exercises, is way too aggressive.

If you are not losing weight at what you're eating now, no you should not raise your calories. You are most likely eating at maintenance right now. Raising calories only works if:

(1) you are absolutely sure of how many calories you are eating. You can only be sure of this if you weigh your portions, log everything you eat, This means you have to do some extra research to ensure accurate calorie counts, and you also have to create some of the entries yourself based on packages. When I make my own entries, I always do it in grams.

(2) you stay within your calorie deficit. This is why knowing how much you are eating is so important.

Finally, it's important to adjust your calorie goals with every ten pounds you lose. This can be done in your settings, I believe (I've been in maintenance for a year, so I forget where those things are).

Good luck!

Edited to add: Njay, I now see you do use a food scale and weigh your food and have been successful thus far, so we'll leave my reply for any newcomers with the same question. :)
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

Well, it's supposed to be slow like that. Just be patient and understand that weight loss is not linear.
  • queenliz99
    Options
    Jencbrown19, thanks for the advice! I've increased my protein with protein bars before or after a workout but I have not decreased carbs. I will try that. Queenliz99, how do I open my diary?

Through settings on your home page. My home/Settings/Diary Sharing
  • njay51404
    Options
    Thanks! I've opened up my diary to the public if you have time to look and offer suggestions.
  • queenliz99
    Options
    Your diary looks pretty good. Just a couple of things, however. Like the taco salad is that your recipe, otherwise don't do this because you have no idea what the ingredients are. Sometimes you use measuring cups on things that you should really weigh, like the cheesy scalloped potatoes. Weigh everything but the liquids. Don't use quick add calories unless it is lightweight calories such as carrots or lettuce, etc. but don't make a habit of this.

So, all in all, I think for you is to be patient. I took me at last 4 months to lose the last 20 pounds and until I started weighing everything very carefully did I achieve my goal. You will get there.
  • njay51404
    Options
    Thanks for the help! I will admit, I'm not very good with being patient! :smile:
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Are you also taking measurements? As I got closer to goal weight, there were months where my scale didn't show any progress, but I was buying smaller clothing at the same time.

I also maintained a small calorie deficit - it was slow progress, but still progress, and it came off and has stayed off for around three years now, so totally worth it.
  • terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    You mentioned you ramped up the exercise. If that was recently, you could just be holding onto water.
  • njay51404
    Options
    I JUST started taking measurements. I wish I would have done that long ago. There hasn't been enough time passed yet for me to see an improvement there but I will keep measuring!