Losing inches but not pounds?

Options
2»

Replies

• rajushank84
    rajushank84 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm seeing exactly the same. I'm guessing it's more water retention than muscle gain.

Who cares? Its the inches I want to lose, not "weight" :)
  • JAT74
    JAT74 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    The same thing is happening to me! I have actually put on 1lb from my previous lowest weight (I dropped 1.5lbs a week and a half ago and have now gained 1lb back) but I am losing inches. I've lost over 1 inch off my hips and 0.5 off my waist in the last week alone.

I have body composition scales and they tell me I've lost slightly under 1% body fat in that time period and my water % has gone up (as others have said it would) so I guess I am retaining a little more water and possibly increasing muscle but I'm not sure.

It is very frustrating not to see the scale move I do agree. I'm now almost 6 weeks into this diet and exercise regime and for the first 3-4 weeks I lost consistently on the scale but now it seems to be happening this way. The last time the scale weight dropped it didn't happen for 10 days and now it's up a little so I hope that soon it will drop down a bit lower but we will see. I still have another 25 lbs and 12% body fat to lose.
  • lovesraspberries
    Options
    Thanks for asking this question! I was logging on to ask the same thing for myself. I appreciate the responses you've received. I'm glad it's not just me. :)
  • hlo9603
    hlo9603 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    JAT74 wrote: »
    The same thing is happening to me! I have actually put on 1lb from my previous lowest weight (I dropped 1.5lbs a week and a half ago and have now gained 1lb back) but I am losing inches. I've lost over 1 inch off my hips and 0.5 off my waist in the last week alone.

I have body composition scales and they tell me I've lost slightly under 1% body fat in that time period and my water % has gone up (as others have said it would) so I guess I am retaining a little more water and possibly increasing muscle but I'm not sure.

It is very frustrating not to see the scale move I do agree. I'm now almost 6 weeks into this diet and exercise regime and for the first 3-4 weeks I lost consistently on the scale but now it seems to be happening this way. The last time the scale weight dropped it didn't happen for 10 days and now it's up a little so I hope that soon it will drop down a bit lower but we will see. I still have another 25 lbs and 12% body fat to lose.

Yeah it's the strangest thing! But hopefully we eventually start seeing the scale go down. But I'm okay with losing inches lol
  • hlo9603
    Options
    Thanks for asking this question! I was logging on to ask the same thing for myself. I appreciate the responses you've received. I'm glad it's not just me. :)

Glad someone else could benefit!!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    This is perfectly normal. What's happening is that you're gaining muscle and losing fat. Muscle is more dense than fat so that's why your weight is not changing. If you are losing inches you are losing Body Fat %, and you are on the right track. The scale can be an evil thing sometimes.
    oooooo you beat me to it. So yeah as Mark was saying, you're gaining muscle and losing fat, hence the reason you're seeing inches being lost.

Doubtful, that really doesn't happen. Muscle isn't built that quickly.
  • chellebublz
    chellebublz Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    It's more likely water weight than muscle, esp if you are drinking alot. It's REALLY hard to build muscle at a deficit, it's a fight to just keep what you already have.
  • txlady041
    Options
    Omg same here..glad I'm not the only one :)
  • hlo9603
    Options
    txlady041 wrote: »
    Omg same here..glad I'm not the only one :)
    Apparently a lot of us are in the same boat!
  • wonna13
    wonna13 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Thank-you for posting. I am in the same boat. I like to thank everyone for responding. It was what I needed. I am ok now.