Hungry while bulking - am I doing it wrong?

Options
2»

Replies

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    ...he might want to eat more bro foods...
    Hey Wheels... I'm still kind of new to this internet subculture of bb... but what the heck is "bro food?"

Bro foods are the micro dense, filling whole foods that body builders use on a cut. The stereotypical bro foods are chicken breasts, brown rice, sweet potato, and broccoli.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Hey Wheels... I'm still kind of new to this internet subculture of bb... but what the heck is "bro food?"

Bro foods are the micro dense, filling whole foods that body builders use on a cut. The stereotypical bro foods are chicken breasts, brown rice, sweet potato, and broccoli.
    I just don't get the internet. Get off my lawn.
  • leanmuscleway
    leanmuscleway Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Thanks Wheelhouse15.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options

ROFL ... but Mr I'm just trying to get my ball!
    Options

ROFL ... but Mr I'm just trying to get my ball!
    lol
  • leanmuscleway
    Options
    Hi again. Since my lasts posts about my weight gain and feeling hungry as above the following has happened to my weight:

29/01/2015 185.6
    30/01/2015 185
    31/01/2015 185.3
    01/02/2015 185
    02/02/2015 184
    03/02/2015 184.6
    04/02/2015 185.6
    05/02/2015 188.6
    06/02/2015 188
    07/02/2015 187.2
    08/02/2015 189
    09/02/2015 188.9

This is a much faster gain than I expected and really than I want as I was aiming to keep fat gain to a minimum. Should I lower my calories to more like 3300 again?

Strength is increasing by minimum of 1 rep per set on all compounds every week for the last 4 weeks and weight is being increased once I hit 6 reps on more than 2 sets.

Can anyone suggest the best way to adjust anything?
  • leanmuscleway
    Options
    I don't think much would be noob gains as I have been lifting for over 3 yrs. January 2014 i hit 205lbs at 15% body fat, I then dropped to 175lbs (much to big calorie deficit for too long so lost too much muscle size without monitoring properly) and ended up at 10%. I maintained there for June/July/Aug and started eating just over maintenance during September/October, increased by another 100cals for November, increased to around 3200cals in December and increased this to 3500 from end of January.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Hi again. Since my lasts posts about my weight gain and feeling hungry as above the following has happened to my weight:

29/01/2015 185.6
    30/01/2015 185
    31/01/2015 185.3
    01/02/2015 185
    02/02/2015 184
    03/02/2015 184.6
    04/02/2015 185.6
    05/02/2015 188.6
    06/02/2015 188
    07/02/2015 187.2
    08/02/2015 189
    09/02/2015 188.9

This is a much faster gain than I expected and really than I want as I was aiming to keep fat gain to a minimum. Should I lower my calories to more like 3300 again?

Strength is increasing by minimum of 1 rep per set on all compounds every week for the last 4 weeks and weight is being increased once I hit 6 reps on more than 2 sets.

Can anyone suggest the best way to adjust anything?

I think you should change the way you're recording your weight. Daily weights are just noise and makes it really difficult for us to see what's really going on. The last week could be anything...overtraining and the body hanging on to water, upping carbs, high sodium?

Weigh every day and average every 7. Then plot on a graph.

You might have got a bounce up of glycogen and water from upping your calories, which isn't weight gain as such. Keep going for three more weeks and see. As you get heavier you'll need more calories anyway so you may find you even stall soon.

• leanmuscleway
    Options
    Thanks Springfield. I do plot the measurements on a graph but i will edit the graph to only show the average of every week rather than every single day.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Thanks Springfield. I do plot the measurements on a graph but i will edit the graph to only show the average of every week rather than every single day.

I don't remember when you last posted, but did you just start your bulk? You'd likely see a high initial gain due to water from your glycogen stores. You may not be actually gaining as fast as you think you are. It might be best to give it another week or two and see if the gains even out then adjust as necessary.
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    This is a very interesting forum. As a guy a few months into his first bulk, I've gotten a lot from what everyone commented on.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    IKR!
    I thought I knew it all until I found this place. Mind. Blown! And evidence to prove it, in my total physical transformation...
  • butterbear1980
    butterbear1980 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    were you tracking before? that recent bump in weight has got to be water weight; your glycogen stores topping off as you go into a daily surplus. The scale is all over the place the first month. Just stick to your chosen number and after a month you should see the initial 3-6 pound increase of water. It takes at least a month to get your daily intake number figured out. Maybe even longer if you weren't logging before.
  • leanmuscleway
    Options
    mspunkyone wrote: »
    were you tracking before? that recent bump in weight has got to be water weight; your glycogen stores topping off as you go into a daily surplus. The scale is all over the place the first month. Just stick to your chosen number and after a month you should see the initial 3-6 pound increase of water. It takes at least a month to get your daily intake number figured out. Maybe even longer if you weren't logging before.

Hi and thanks. I have been tracking properly now for around 6 months (although only bulking for 10 weeks of that). I'll stick to what i'm doing for now and see where it levels out.

Its news to me that weight fluctuates for that long a period - i know some days may seem high/low due to water retention/time of day etc but i hadnt realised this could even last a whole 7-8 days ie. I have been 4-5lbs heavier for more than a couple of consecutive days.

Thanks for the guidance.