Lifted too much

Options
2»

Replies

• mzjenn2u
    mzjenn2u Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    STRETCH!!!! Soak in a warm Epsom salt bath. STRETCH SOME MORE!!!!!
  • smalltown_princess
    smalltown_princess Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Lois_1989 wrote: »
    Right now I'm back squatting around 200 but I want to get up to 300 soooo bad

WHAT! Ok... so maybe I should be starting at 20Kg? Or more? You lady have baffled me. 200?! I think I'm going about this the wrong way. What did you start on?
    Well I started with the bar like everyone else but that was about 2 years ago now! I just backsquat everyday. Even if it's just a few reps it keeps the muscles working so you never move backward
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,409 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

WHAT! Ok... so maybe I should be starting at 20Kg? Or more? You lady have baffled me. 200?! I think I'm going about this the wrong way. What did you start on?

You should be following your program as it is written.

Uhh, not so much a personal program written specifically for me. I'm going on a book and past experience (which as it turns out is USELESS for this, the 'experience' not the book. I thought the book was quite good)
  • Lois_1989
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    But I had never used a women's Olympic bar

That makes you a novice, at least in terms of this type of lifting.

... pretty much. I didn't know this up until right now.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options

Uhh, not so much a personal program written specifically for me. I'm going on a book and past experience (which as it turns out is USELESS for this, the 'experience' not the book. I thought the book was quite good)

Follow your program as it is written.

You are in no place to freestyle. Experience wise, or education wise.

In case I need to be more clear. Follow the book. You have chosen that as your program. Therefore it is, "your program."
  • Lois_1989
    Options

20kg (44 lb) is a good place to start because it is the weight of a standard (7 foot) Olympic bar.
    justcat206 wrote: »
    I started squatting with the empty (45 lb) bar and added 5 lbs at a time. You'll catch on fast, but do focus on good form.

Thank you both for the info! I think I'm going to do this if its a good starting point.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options

20kg (44 lb) is a good place to start because it is the weight of a standard (7 foot) Olympic bar.

+1.

However, there's nothing wrong with starting with freeweights on your shoulders at lower weights. I was hurting myself doing squats with crappy form, so I went down to using 10 lbs on each shoulder (total: 20 lbs) and then 15 lbs on each shoulder, then 20. As soon as I hit 20 lbs on each shoulder, I went back to using the bar.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

Well I started with the bar like everyone else but that was about 2 years ago now! I just backsquat everyday. Even if it's just a few reps it keeps the muscles working so you never move backward

You back squat consecutively for 2 years everyday?
  • Lois_1989
    Options

Follow your program as it is written.

You are in no place to freestyle. Experience wise, or education wise.

In case I need to be more clear. Follow the book. You have chosen that as your program. Therefore it is, "your program."

Fair play. I've read the book twice and I shall read it again. And as everyone has said, start with the empty bar and work up.
    Topic has slightly deviated, but it has really opened my eyes.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    It helps to have a sheet of paper and pen.

While you are reading, write out what it says your lifting will be, and the beginning weights you are supposed to use.
  • kozinskey
    kozinskey Posts: 176 Member
    Options

Does your gym offer personal trainers? I think you might benefit from finding a trainer to take you through a couple sessions of NROLW so they can see where you're at weight and skill-wise. Even just one session to get a feel for the movements and the bar would be helpful.
  • Lois_1989
    edited February 2015
    Options

+1.

However, there's nothing wrong with starting with freeweights on your shoulders at lower weights. I was hurting myself doing squats with crappy form, so I went down to using 10 lbs on each shoulder (total: 20 lbs) and then 15 lbs on each shoulder, then 20. As soon as I hit 20 lbs on each shoulder, I went back to using the bar.

See I thought I was seeing things when I saw Kg in the gym because I could have sworn I was using lbs in my last gym. That is slightly what has thrown me in terms of what weight I am using. as well as a weighted bar.

I'll try half the weight of the bar in free weights on Friday, keep an eye on form and see how I go. I like this idea...
  • Lois_1989
    Options
    kozinskey wrote: »

Does your gym offer personal trainers? I think you might benefit from finding a trainer to take you through a couple sessions of NROLW so they can see where you're at weight and skill-wise. Even just one session to get a feel for the movements and the bar would be helpful.

It wasn't offered, but as a gym, they must have a personal trainer of some description. The gym induction was appalling. I assumed the person that did it was just useless to be honest.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    If you are fairly fit, this may be more of a matter that you weren't lifting enough before, not that you lifted too much now.

NROLFW doesn't really give recommended starting weights (beyond saying to start with just the bar until you feel comfortable with your form) but it does have a section with guidelines for how to find a good weight. The writer notes that he generally tells men to estimate down and women to estimate up, because most women think they can lift less than they really can. See how you feel after a day or two. You just may have discovered that your ideal weights are larger than you anticipated.

Also, head over to the New Rules group here at MFP. There is a link early on in the welcome thread to some fantastic Excel spreadsheets that you can print out and use to effortlessly log your progress with the program.
  • Lois_1989
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »
    If you are fairly fit, this may be more of a matter that you weren't lifting enough before, not that you lifted too much now.

NROLFW doesn't really give recommended starting weights (beyond saying to start with just the bar until you feel comfortable with your form) but it does have a section with guidelines for how to find a good weight. The writer notes that he generally tells men to estimate down and women to estimate up, because most women think they can lift less than they really can. See how you feel after a day or two. You just may have discovered that your ideal weights are larger than you anticipated.

Also, head over to the New Rules group here at MFP. There is a link early on in the welcome thread to some fantastic Excel spreadsheets that you can print out and use to effortlessly log your progress with the program.

To be honest, the fact that I finished both sets (ok the last one needed a bit of will power, but I wasn't bursting a blood vessel or anything) I'm starting to think this could be the case. I'll see how I feel when I wake up, but I think I probably will go down to an empty bar until I am confident with form. Maybe have a personal trainer have a look to see if everything is ok and then work up from there.
    I never thought to look for a group here, I think I will do that! Have a look around, get more advice and information. I really want to continue this, but it seems I'm still a but under prepared. :\