10K Plan

Options
Hello,

I have a fitness goal of being able to run a 10K by the end of August inorder to participate in a 10K race this coming Fall. I have done a few 5K races in my lifetime (each finishing under 30 mins), but I have never run more than 3.5 miles at a time.

I started up running again last week after not doing it for about 3 months, and right now I can comfortably run 2 straight miles at a 10min/mile pace (I can do it at a little faster if I have the right tunes on ;) but I'm not to concenerd about my pace right now, as that will improve with time.)

I'm not quite sure how to go about upping my milage though...do I increase it every workout? weekly? monthly? I dont want to be dying after the 10K, I want to finish strong. ..so I gave myself 7 months to train.

Does anyone have any recommendations on how to go about this? Or have a 10K training plan?

Thanks so much

Replies

• _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Look up Bridge to 10k. It's created just for this I believe. Of course you can Google 10k training plan and get something like this.

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51122/10K-Novice-Training-Program
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Search for a Bridge to 10K plan, or take a look at the plans on Runner World.

Slow down a bit to get back to running for three miles.

You should be up to 10K in about 10 weeks or so.
  • granturismo
    granturismo Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    There is an eight week course, building from 5K to 10K here;

irishtimes.com/life-and-style/get-running/10k-weeks-1-4
  • arussell134
    arussell134 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Second the suggestion for Hal Higdon. His plans are terrific!

Also, I want to point out that so much of running is psychological. The best way to go out and run 6 miles? Is to just DO IT. Our bodies are capable of so much more than we give them credit for. Start telling yourself "I've got this!" or "I'm strong!" Pump yourself up a bit, so to speak. You can totally do it.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options

Also, I want to point out that so much of running is psychological. The best way to go out and run 6 miles? Is to just DO IT. Our bodies are capable of so much more than we give them credit for. Start telling yourself "I've got this!" or "I'm strong!" Pump yourself up a bit, so to speak. You can totally do it.
    I wanted to say something similar but didn't want to come off perhaps the wrong way (did that already in another thread today).

You will be surprised at how easy a 10k is considering what you are already doing. Keep training sensibly though, the Hal Higdon programs are good.

From my personal experience, the first time I ran a full 10k from beginning to end was also the same day I ran for longer than a full mile at once. I had been walking 6 miles daily, but needed some extra work since it was no longer challenging. So I started running for bits of time during my 6 mile walks. I worked up to nearly a full mile for my longest "run" during those walks before the day of my first 10k. I assumed I would walk/run the 10k as well. I started towards the back of the pack (but ahead of the strollers) and kept pace with those folks at the start. I wound up running the full 10k, and made it the last couple miles purely because I had already gone so far my mind did not want me to stop, no matter what!

You have a much faster pace for 2 miles than I did when I was only able to run one mile. I have a feeling you can pull it off.

Just be careful not to run too far too often during training. But when you have a long run planned, don't be afraid to run a long distance and challenge yourself, and push farther than your mind may be telling you is possible.

Hope this does not come off as condescending. It's actually intended as encouragement.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    If you can already run that far you could probably go out and do a 10K today. I run half marathons and my base runs during training are 6 to 7 miles, or half the race distance. The longest run is around 11 miles two weeks before the race. The rest is race day adrenaline and the fact that your body is simply ready for it.

Find a good plan and it'll have you increasing your mileage on a weekly basis. Keep in mind that your long runs should be slow runs. You are simply trying to train your body to run farther, not faster. You are correct that speed will come later. Your shorter runs can be done at the pace you plan to run the race.
  • kozinskey
    kozinskey Posts: 176 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Hal Higdon is a great place to start. Just keep adding miles. Run 3-4 short runs during the week, and do a slightly longer run over the weekend. Bump that run up as you feel appropriate. Just don't let your weekly mileage increase by more than 10% each week and you'll be fine. Runningahead.com is a good place to log your runs and keep track of mileage.

Also, an old track adage: If you can run a certain distance comfortably, you can run twice that distance. It might not be pretty, but you can do it.
  • Aresende90
    Aresende90 Posts: 70 Member
    Options

You are so right! Hoping I don't lose motivation half way through this process! But thats what MFP is for right?! :smile:
    kozinskey wrote: »
    Hal Higdon is a great place to start. Just keep adding miles. Run 3-4 short runs during the week, and do a slightly longer run over the weekend. Bump that run up as you feel appropriate. Just don't let your weekly mileage increase by more than 10% each week and you'll be fine. Runningahead.com is a good place to log your runs and keep track of mileage.

Also, an old track adage: If you can run a certain distance comfortably, you can run twice that distance. It might not be pretty, but you can do it.

I guess I'll have too check out Hal Higdon then! and I like that little track adage!
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    You can up it about a mile a week. I walk/jog and only run in races. I had my first half over the weekend and finished in 2:03:48 doing a run walk pattern. Good Luck on your Journey.
  • arussell134
    arussell134 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    OP: you've totally got this. I promise. I used to hate running even one mile, and I've done full marathons. I used to tell myself I was just a slow runner, but I just clocked two miles yesterday at 7:39 and 7:44. I'm making myself an experiment lately: what can I do, if I stop telling myself I can't do it? I'm no longer putting limits on my ability and the results have been amazing. Start telling yourself that you can, and that you will. ;)

And, please come back and let us know how that 10K goes so we can all give you a virtual high-5! :)
  • loratliff
    loratliff Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I did Hal Higdon's 10K plan after completing C25K and it was perfect.
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    there comes a point in your mind where stopping sounds good. don't listen. if you aren't hurting keep going. you can do this.