Hi! Just a couple questions :)

Options
2»

Replies

• segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    eapple87 wrote: »
    That does make much more sense but just wondering if you set it at 3 exercises per week and then exercise 5 times that week wouldn't the calories be too low?

Nope, because like I said, MFP doesn't do anything with the 3 exercises per week number. It's not including it into your base calorie goal. Whenever you log exercise -- 3 times, 5 times, whenever -- it "rewards" you with more calories to eat on top of that base goal.

Just ignore the 3 times per week thing, or set it to 0. It's completely irrelevant.

Exercise however often you exercise, log it each time, and you'll get the extra calories to eat whenever you do.

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I think I'd like to log everything to help keep me motivated and on track. That does make much more sense but just wondering if you set it at 3 exercises per week and then exercise 5 times that week wouldn't the calories be too low? I want that flexibility for when I'm having a great week which is why now that I understand the two better (thank you for breaking it down) I think I'm going to use mfp and track everything.

@SueInAz‌ I'm going to track my diet for a while and see if I can make the protein just by what I eat. Otherwise I'll look into something to give me that boost! And I definitely think I'll get that heart rate monitor for accuracy and adjust the calories to what it reads.

Thanks so much guys! Feeling much more informed.
    MFP doesn't change your calorie allotment based on what you enter in the Fitness Goals section. Play with it and you'll see. You don't need to worry about that part.
  • eapple87
    eapple87 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I meant for the tdee :) when I set my tdee to three exercises weekly if I exceed that wouldn't it be inaccurate. But it's irrelevant because I'm going to stick with the mfp. Seems more geared to ppl like me who need to be held accountable for their exercises by logging.
  • eapple87
    Options
    I'm on track understanding as far as the 3 mfp has my goals at aren't added for me, that I have to manually input them as well as anything above and beyond those three goals.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I meant for the tdee :) when I set my tdee to three exercises weekly if I exceed that wouldn't it be inaccurate. But it's irrelevant because I'm going to stick with the mfp. Seems more geared to ppl like me who need to be held accountable for their exercises by logging.

Well if you follow the TDEE method and you exercised more one week then you could add in a few more calories later or just enjoy the additional weight loss. But if you became more consistent with exercising 5 days then you recalculate your deficit. Honestly, it would be another 150 or 250 calories additional.

In the end, pick a method and adjust. They are all basic calculation and may have to be adjusted. MFP suggest with 6 hours of exercise that i will maintain at 2500 calories. In reality i maintain at 3000.
  • eapple87
    Options
    Ok that's what I was thinking regarding the tdee. That I would be short on calories and have to adjust if it became more regular.

I think right now because I'm not in a routine I'll probably do better on the mfp plan. Thanks again!