sweetners

Options
aim2lose
aim2lose Posts: 101 Member
I enjoy my coffee every morning (actually it is a must have!) but am having some difficulties with the sweetner I use. Just a taste of sweetner, I don't care for it sweet. I have always used honey, but in trying to reduce the amount of carbs in my diet I have been trying stevia (all natural sweetner). I hate the aftertaste of this and also do not care for other artificial sweetners. Not sure if I should just stick it out or just get over the carbs in the honey. What is the best way to approach this? pros and cons of each sweetner for my morning java....

Replies

• Mmmary212
    Mmmary212 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I strongly suggest using Torrani or Davinci coffee syrup (Torrani is available at Walmart and other grocery stores). They have a sugar free (no carb) variety (caramel, french vanilla, chocolate, raspberry, etc) and have no aftertaste like other artificial sweeteners, even though it's sweetened with splenda.

I use it in place of sugar/splenda/stevia in all my cooking/baking.
  • BECav0602
    BECav0602 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I use truvia and don't think it has an aftertaste. It is a little pricy but I only use it in my coffee (and occasionally cereal) so it lasts a while.
  • donbet69
    donbet69 Posts: 133
    Options
    I had the same problem. Last week I switched to silk milk instead of half and half and, if you can find them, Splenda coffee flavorings.

I also tried Agave which is sweeter than sugar.
  • wysmom2000
    wysmom2000 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I use Sun Crystals. It's a combination of pure cane sugar and stevia. I don't think it has the aftertaste and like that I can use less of it than I would sugar.
  • denise980
    denise980 Posts: 296
    Options
    You can try the flavored coffee creamers. They have a little bit more sugar than I would like, but they also give it a french vanilla or hazlenut flavoring
  • lelegrev
    lelegrev Posts: 15
    Options
    I use the flavored coffee creamers. Most of them have about 6g of sugar, but I love my coffee tooooooooo much (yes, I love it so much that the word to deserves that many o's), and I hate drinking coffee black. I was doing some searching about vanilla extract one day and I came across a blog type of deal where this guy said he adds a little drop to his black coffee every morning to sweeten it.
  • MommaToFour
    MommaToFour Posts: 106
    Options
    I replaced my yummy, sugarfied, unhealthy creamers with virgin coconut oil! It is soooo good and the health benefits are endless!!
  • aim2lose
    aim2lose Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. I've tried the Sun Crystals, just a partial packet, and do not care for the after taste. I may have to try some of the other suggestions before I resort back to honey. Honey is an all natural, unprocessed food so should not be too terrible if used in moderation.