Lifting?

Options
Would someone be able to give me some advice on lifting, I would like to start, but have no idea how to go about it or how to do so... how to get started? what to focus on? how much weight to lift? what kind of lifting exercises? Just everything! lol Thanks!

Replies

• rynlegaspi
    rynlegaspi Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Do a full body workout where you hit your arms, chest, and back. Do two exercises for each (ex. 2exercises for biceps, shoulders, and triceps). Make sure you lift a weight where you can do 10reps. Do 4sets for each exercise.

Then maybe the next day you want workout on your lower body (legs).

Don't stay too long at the gym. We want to stimulate our muscles not annihilate. 40mins is good enough.
  • TheProudDadLife
    TheProudDadLife Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    BodyBuilding.com has is a great resource and can answer all your question
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    As always, what, exactly, is/are your goal(s)?
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    Progressive program. StrongLifts 5x5, Starting Strength, NROL are all good
  • kaylacarol1989
    kaylacarol1989 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

SW-175
    GW-140-145

I'm looking to lose the flab and tone up afterwards, i'm about 5'7-5'8. I go to the gym
    days a week for an hour, usually alot of cardio, and i'm very concious about what i eat and the quantity, i just started my journey last thursday.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    Check out the Strong Lifts 5x5 for Women group here in the community! :)
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Read New Rules of Lifting for Women twice.
    Follow the Stronglifts 5x5 program.
    NR is a great book but the workout is overly complicated.
    Stronglifts is a great and simple beginner lifting program.
    As someone else said, join the group here for it, as Medhi (the creator) is kind of an obnoxious jerk.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

SW-175
    GW-140-145

I'm looking to lose the flab and tone up afterwards, i'm about 5'7-5'8. I go to the gym
    days a week for an hour, usually alot of cardio, and i'm very concious about what i eat and the quantity, i just started my journey last thursday.

This is a pretty common, but extremely inefficient practice.

When you're in a deficit the body loses water, fat, and muscle. You should start on one of the mentioned progressive lifting programs soon. This would be to make sure that while in the deficit you're maintaining as much muscle mass as possible. This is where "tone" comes from. It's maintaining as much muscle mass as possible while your deficit strips the fat away from the muscle revealing its definition.

When you diet to a predetermined weight, you will may get there but at the loss of muscle mass, so at a lower weight, you may have a higher BF% than you may have at a higher weight while maintaining the muscle mass.

If you lose mass and then come back around and try to add it.......it's really.....really hard to gain muscle mass and may require adding some fat again and then cutting again.

Maintain the muscle mass now to save the work that you need to put in later to try to put the same muscle mass back on.
  • kaylacarol1989
    kaylacarol1989 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the help everyone!