Has anyone done HIIT?!

Options
i used to run 3 miles 4-5 times a week but I haven't lost that much weight from it and I was wondering if anyone has done HIIT and if so when did you notice weight loss? I just it started today!

I'm female, 5'5 and about 165lbs

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    If you weren't losing weight, you weren't in calorie deficit.

HIIT has a place, but it's complementary to aerobic conditioning and lactate threshold work. I'd also observe that HIIT doesn't burn much in the way of calories, and the afterburn effect is vastly overplayed.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options

HIIT has a place, but it's complementary to aerobic conditioning and lactate threshold work. I'd also observe that HIIT doesn't burn much in the way of calories, and the afterburn effect is vastly overplayed.

QFT

I am 5'6 and was 180 when I started running. It was great and it HELPED me get into a calorie deficit, but running in and of itself won't cause weight loss unless you're maintaining a deficit.
  • fitnessgoddess17
    fitnessgoddess17 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I just started hiit. My hrm puts a 15 min workout around 145 calls burned. I love it! I haven't been doing it long enough to say anything about results but I know I feel stronger and am seeing muscles in places I didn't before. My weight is the same but I have not cleaned up my diet and drink too much alcohol.
  • Nice2BFitAgain
    Nice2BFitAgain Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I am 5'5" @ 150# - starting weight was 169#. I do 3 days weight lifting, as heavy as I can and 2 days of interval cardio. + I eat 1,500 calories and do not eat back calories burned. I lose consistently. You can do HIIT as much as you want but if you're eating more or the same calories that you use you won't see results.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I just started hiit. My hrm puts a 15 min workout around 145 calls burned. I love it! I haven't been doing it long enough to say anything about results but I know I feel stronger and am seeing muscles in places I didn't before. My weight is the same but I have not cleaned up my diet and drink too much alcohol.

Your HRM is for steady state cardio not HIIT ..be careful how many calories you take from hiit
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I use it in conjunction with weight training and running. What type of HIIT are you looking at? You can do HIIT with running i.e. sprint intervals, you can use weights i.e. light weights high reps fast paced, or you can do some type of cross training i.e. jump rope intervals split between functional movement exercises like sit ups, push ups, hammering a tire etc. I do ab circuits, cardio circuits, arm circuits etc. and believe that it burns a greater % of fat then steady state cardio but this is only my experience.
  • kbarry13
    kbarry13 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I don't over eat and I do have a calorie deficit... I was kinda slacking for awhile though. Now I'm more serious about it.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    I just started hiit. My hrm puts a 15 min workout around 145 calls burned.

Which is at leasst 30% over the actual expenditure.

If I do a sprint intervals session, HIIT, I'll generally deduct about 50% from the estimation as the calorie estimation algorithm within the software is outside of the designed parameters.
  • jimbmc
    jimbmc Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I do a fair bit of HIIT, and have found it to be very effective. However I do use a structured session rather than trying to do it on my own. Last year I did the 30 Shred, and dropped about 6lbs in weight, but more importantly became a lot fitter and more toned. I did do this alongside other training however, including Weight training (medium weight/10-12 reps, 5 sets) and Running/Rowing. I had just been doing the Weights and Running at first, and although this was having an effect, I found the Shred HIIT really enhanced my regime. As the previous post suggests, HIIT on its own will help, but I think you need to do it alongside other forms of training. I am currently working on losing about 18lbs by June (currently 204) and I'm using a regime of Running, Weights and HIIT (Shred). I am also working in a 500cal Deficit. In the last 30 days, I have dropped around 6-7lbs.
  • sw33tp3a11
    sw33tp3a11 Posts: 4,646 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it for about 2 months not much weight coming off but that's only because i haven't really stuck to my daily calorie intake but I notice my body changing. Arms and legs are toning and my core is stronger and getting smaller.
  • taylorokuns269
    taylorokuns269 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have done HIIT for a while mostly on the treadmill. I love it!! Its pretty much do this and lift wieghts. I have noticed pretty great results. My legs have trimmed as well as my muffin top lol. Its coming off slow but it is coming off much faster than it did when I was doing steady state cardio, and it makes the time on the treadmill "which i hate" quick and painless...Stick with it you will definetly see results :D
  • nadr0j
    nadr0j Posts: 16
    Options
    HIIT with weights is probably the most effective way for average people to change their body composition. And I use "HIIT" loosely to incorporate also HIT with weights. As to weight loss/gain, that is (as others have pointed out) a function of caloric input and expenditure. Running can be an effective way to burn calories, but falls short for overall body conditioning and functionality. It depends on your goals, but in terms of what I want to look like, "runner" isn't very high up on the list; I'd rather pair aerobic endurance with muscular strength, for a more "athletic" frame. (This last bit is my PERSONAL opinion)
  • fitnessgoddess17
    fitnessgoddess17 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Your HRM is for steady state cardio not HIIT ..be careful how many calories you take from hiit

I don't eat back my calories so how accurate my hrm reads a workout is not a concern for me. I use it because it's more accurate then MFP estimates and it helps keep me motivated
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I just starting adding in some Tabata drills which I used to do and really should have never stopped. I have an app on my phone that times it and I usually do 4 exercizes so it adds up to 16 minutes. I try to vary the exercizes and I don't bother doing sit ups and stuff, it's burpees or jump squats etc. I love that you really rev things up in a short time and there's no excuse to skip it. It kind of stinks while you are doing it but the time goes fast and I feel pretty invigorated when I'm done.
  • ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I just starting adding in some Tabata drills which I used to do and really should have never stopped. I have an app on my phone that times it and I usually do 4 exercizes so it adds up to 16 minutes. I try to vary the exercizes and I don't bother doing sit ups and stuff, it's burpees or jump squats etc. I love that you really rev things up in a short time and there's no excuse to skip it. It kind of stinks while you are doing it but the time goes fast and I feel pretty invigorated when I'm done.
    Tabatas make me throw up. :smiley:

• kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    Options

^^^ this. Did them when I was bicycle racing in college many many years ago and they are not fun. Most people interchange higher intensity with High Intensity, but they are not the same concept. When done right (and typically on first exposure), you can hardly walk or want to puke.
  • tycho_mx
    tycho_mx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I do HIIT frequently - they are the "icing" for race preparation. Different variants - 1 min intervals, 30 s, 15 s, 5 s.

I don't notice any additional weight loss, but for sure increased short-term leaps in fitness. And they are "fun", in a painful kind of way.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    Weird definition of fun, but I know what you mean.

My eyes feel like they're bleeding when I do a session either running or on the turbo.
  • alaliberte
    Options
    kbarry13 wrote: »
    i used to run 3 miles 4-5 times a week but I haven't lost that much weight from it and I was wondering if anyone has done HIIT and if so when did you notice weight loss? I just it started today!"

I love HiiT workouts, they are really hard on the body, though. Also, I have not found how to accurately account for these high calorie burning workouts on MFP...the closest they have is "Calisthenics" which is not really the same. But, yes, I did the HiiT for about 6 weeks prior to a Beach vacation...it worked beautifully! Good luck!

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    HIIT is great, but if you weren't losing before, it won't get you losing after, because the problem lies elsewhere.