Just started couch25K - Treadmill okay?

Options
Hi there,

I've just started the awesome couch to 5 K. I was wondering however whether the treadmill is best or outside or both? I have a treadmill in my house and prefer it as it rains a lot here. I was wondering however if I am missing out by using my treadmill?

Please let me know your thoughts.
Jennifer

Replies

• therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Whatever is best is whatever keeps you motivated enough to finish the program and keep you running and burning calories.
  • eesuperstar
    eesuperstar Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    In my experience, treadmills are deceiving because their distance isn't completely accurate when comparing yourself to running outside. So, what I do (I just finished the couch25k and moving onto a 10k) is set my treadmill goals in terms of time and not distance and then compare that with your actual 5k time when you get to that point. Also, I read yesterday on a marathon site that setting the incline to zero (which is what I normally do) is equivalent to running downhill in real life so for training purposes it's better to increase the incline to 1%.

Finally, since you're just starting out you should go to a running store to get a gait analysis (especially if you're feeling discomfort when running).

Good luck
  • klynn81
    klynn81 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I'm not a runner but I've read lots about running, and the C25K.

For me personally I find it easier to run on a treadmill. I find the impact less, and it just seems easier, as easy as running at 240lbs can feel I suppose.

The only thing is...If you are wanting to run races outside, then I'd suggest that you get some outside running in because if you do the program all inside on a treadmill and then try to run a 5k outside, it's not gonna be easy. From what I've read. Of course you could always start with the 5k inside, and once you have that mastered then work on taking it outside.
  • jessical1982
    Options
    I've been doing the program for 3 weeks. I've been using the treadmill for 2 days each week and then doing outside for the 3rd day. The treadmill let's me keep my pace up, but because I want to eventually run a 5K (which will be outdoors) I try to do the one day outside.

It's exercise either way, so I don't think one is necessarily better than the other!

This site has a Counch to 5K treadmill conversion: http://www.c25k.com/c25k_treadmill.html
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Treadmills are great for training you to run 5K on a treadmill, but if you plan to run or race outside, it will not fully prepare you. Personally I'd die of boredom doing all my runs on a treadmill!
  • Giraffe33991
    Giraffe33991 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Treadmills are great for training you to run 5K on a treadmill, but if you plan to run or race outside, it will not fully prepare you. Personally I'd die of boredom doing all my runs on a treadmill!

I 100% agree with this. Treadmill runs are so boring! Don't set yourself up for failure from boredom! Switch things up by running outside on those non-rainy days! Your body will thank you for the change as well!

Good luck! :-)
  • katicasi82
    katicasi82 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I started on the treadmill and now I run a little on an indoor running track (Ireland = rains all the time, it's raining now) I feel better when I run on the track but I would never have been able to do it without the treadmill. When I have finished C52K and am able to run for 35 minutes I'll move it outside (when it's not raining) which I know is going to be tough...but you have start somewhere!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I started on the treadmill, but didn't fully enjoy running until I took it outside. Now, I'd rather run in the cold, heat, rain, or snow than run on a treadmill.
  • mwilke
    mwilke Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I just finished week 5 day 3, but I do all my running/ walking outside- even in the cold. When I first began exercising, my husband and I had a gym membership and I used the tread mill there- just never ran on it. But like others have said, whatever keeps you going is what's best for you. It's all a matter or personal opinion. Good luck!!
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    You can do it but running outside is a lot different than running on a treadmill so if you can, I'd try to throw some days outside every now and then just to keep yourself motivated and to change it up a bit. You're gonna love C25K! I want to run more often than it tells me too lol Feel free to add me if you want
  • jennifleurb
    Options
    Thanks all for your replies. I'll starting mixing in some outside runs when the weather's nice then. Sounds like a plan! :)
  • katicasi82
    katicasi82 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I started on the treadmill, but didn't fully enjoy running until I took it outside. Now, I'd rather run in the cold, heat, rain, or snow than run on a treadmill.

Maybe some day :)
  • Crimson_
    Crimson_ Posts: 60
    Options
    whichever one keeps you moving is the best one! but for me there is nothing like running outside.
  • jfoster85
    jfoster85 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I agree that there's a big difference between outside running & treadmill running. The distance measurement isn't accurate for one and I get so bored running on the treadmill. I like the change of scenery during running outside. On the other hand, way to go for starting C25K! I finished week 8 and need to do week 9 but I actually ran a "practice" 5K last night in preperation of my first official 5K Saturday!
  • petergarcia82
    petergarcia82 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Whatever works for you. I mainly started on a treadmill but I try to do most of my actual running outside now... it's way different but to me it feels better and keeps my attention longer.
  • BetterMike
    BetterMike Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Like most suggest, running outside is probably physically harder ( if only slightly ). It is also mentally a bit easier because of the visual stimulation.

You should try running in the rain if it's warm enough. I think it may be the most enjoyable runs when it's raining slightly.
  • jennifleurb
    Options
    I agree that there's a big difference between outside running & treadmill running. The distance measurement isn't accurate for one and I get so bored running on the treadmill. I like the change of scenery during running outside. On the other hand, way to go for starting C25K! I finished week 8 and need to do week 9 but I actually ran a "practice" 5K last night in preperation of my first official 5K Saturday!

Good luck :)
  • jennifleurb
    Options

Maybe some day :)

Me too :) The cold and rain really puts me off going out the door at all- I could not imagine running in it. It's also very windy here at times while it's cold and raining in the winter. I hope one day that I A) either love it so much I'll be like you and run whenever or B) move to a much nicer climate.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with using the treadmill. But running outdoors is much more fun. (I learned to run through the UK winter, outdoors, so I know what you mean about the rain!)
  • oOMusicBabii
    Options
    I do C25k on the treadmill (don't have any good outside running areas near my house). When/if I can run outside, I do because it's much better mentally.