Back weight lifting advice

Options

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Do you have any tips for pull ups? I can't do them without a really strong band and even then it's a struggle

I believe you can use 2 bands to help... I could be wrong though...

You can work negatives too

Negatives are what helped me on pull ups.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Do you have any tips for pull ups? I can't do them without a really strong band and even then it's a struggle

This is why I <3 both of you!
    I should work on doing negatives (thanks for another idea - for a different day lol)
  • usmcmp
    Options

I should work on doing negatives (thanks for another idea - for a different day lol)

Even better is if you can add weight to the negatives.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    If you're doing lat pulldowns, pull-ups are redundant.

Explain in small, clear and precise terms why you claim this.

It's a similar movement, so similar muscles are worked.

The pulldown has the advantage of not wasting as much energy on non-back muscles (abs, etc), plus it's easier to modify the resistance to keep you in the proper rep range for growth.
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options

Don't add more to it! Ack! =P
  • usmcmp
    Options

At some point your negatives will be fairly long. Then it's time to add weight. Always need to challenge the muscles :)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

The pulldown has the advantage of not wasting as much energy on non-back muscles (abs, etc), plus it's easier to modify the resistance to keep you in the proper rep range for growth.

Whether or not it is redundant depends a bit on your perspective. I view lat pulldowns as a tool to train for pull-ups/chin-ups. So I'm not going to stop doing (trying to do) the latter because I'm doing the former.
  • mike_bold
    mike_bold Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I know the standard response in this forum is squats and deadlifts, but ... squats and deadlifts. Close grip rows (or any kind of rows), hyper extensions and BB hip thrusts (or glute bridges) for the erectors
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options

At some point your negatives will be fairly long. Then it's time to add weight. Always need to challenge the muscles :)

lol I know but I meant to my list of ideas!
    I'm done hi-jacking!

Sorry OP!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options

ok, so you don't know the purpose of it.

That's fine, don't just throw it out because you think it's a similar movement and similar muscles are worked.

Pulldowns are a great assistance exercise, and a great tool to potentially help a trainee get to a pull up, but it's not a replacement.

A pull up is an excellent, fundamental compound movement, and a pull down is not. Excepting of course the people who use all the body english they can muster to move a weight that their ego told them to put the machine to.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    Deadlifts and any variation (conventional, sumo, romanian, stiff leg, trap bar)
    Rows and any variation (DB, BB, seal, kroc, t-bar, landmine, cable, inverted)
    Pull-ups and any variation (wide, chins, neutral grip, rings)
    Hypers and reverse hypers

^This

If you want back development, then you need to stick with heavy, basic exercises and you need to train them frequently. I do a back movement every day that I lift plus I do pull ups on a different day. There are only 4 back movements that you need to do:

Deadlift
    Barbell Row
    Pull Up
    Barbell Shrug

Seriously, that's it. Don't try to get creative because you will just short change yourself. If you ever don't know what to do, just do more of these movements and you will come out ahead.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options

That's fine, don't just throw it out because you think it's a similar movement and similar muscles are worked.

Pulldowns are a great assistance exercise, and a great tool to potentially help a trainee get to a pull up, but it's not a replacement.

A pull up is an excellent, fundamental compound movement, and a pull down is not. Excepting of course the people who use all the body english they can muster to move a weight that their ego told them to put the machine to.

Pull-ups are definitely a great exercise. But for hypertrophy (the OP's goal), pull-downs are a better choice, for the reasons i mentioned.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

Pull-ups are definitely a great exercise. But for hypertrophy (the OP's goal), pull-downs are a better choice, for the reasons i mentioned.

mmmmmmmm
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Does your back workout in DLS if you use a belt?

Yes, a belt has nothing to do with your back or the muscles in it.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options

She said she wanted to get more "swole" which to me implies size, so pull-ups are really unnecessary. Lat Pulldowns or Straight-Arm Lat Pulldowns activate the lats just fine.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Options
    Nobody mentioned resistance band pull-aparts. Do 100 of those a couple days a week you'll definitely work on your upper back size and improve rotator cuff health.
  • Nat_oxox
    Nat_oxox Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Deadlifts, lat pull down - wide and close grip, seated rows, dumbbell rows, upright row, bent over row, t-bar row, back extention. I do at least 5 of these, 3-4 sets of 8-12 reps.
  • zaxx1953
    zaxx1953 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Lol, first don't squat below parallel and now Lat PD's > Pull ups for building your body....

This board cracks me up.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Options
    zaxx1953 wrote: »
    Lol, first don't squat below parallel and now Lat PD's > Pull ups for building your body....

This board cracks me up.

That's not at all what it's saying. If hypertrophy, just muscle size is your goal then lat PD's are perfectly good. Pull-ups are especially difficult for women, so if a woman's goal is to improve hypertrophy of the lats then there's no reason to just start with Lat PD's. Are pull-ups with a thick resistance band all that different? Obviously the pull-up is a better exercise for strength and performance, but in this case it's better to start with something the lat PD than to struggle with pull-ups.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »
    Nobody mentioned resistance band pull-aparts. Do 100 of those a couple days a week you'll definitely work on your upper back size and improve rotator cuff health.

Thanks for posting this. I've been looking for something to add to my ohp day and after looking at videos this seems like a good option.