Help after binge

Options
Glitch267
Glitch267 Posts: 32
edited February 2015 in Food and Nutrition
I am male, 19, 110 lbs, 5'7. I binged on around 6000 calories yesterday. It was not due to hunger but was a more emotional thing. Just had a really stressful week with midterms and then was really happy since I got some grades back and they were good. So again, it was not from hunger, it was an emotional or event type thing. It was an isolated incident and does not happen often (last time I way overate was either Christmas or thanksgiving so once every six weeks or so at most which is normal).

I am currently on a bulk and trying to gain weight. My calorie surplus goal is 300-1000 a day and was eating a 300 calorie surplus everyday for last week straight. For more info on my current bulk please go to my other thread that is tracking it
http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/31188994#Comment_31188994

My parents just sent me a massive care package with great foods. After the hard week and stress, I ate a lot of food. Was with friends and one thing lead to another.

This happened after I had already eaten all I planned on eating that day (I had eaten maintenance plus 300 so already in surplus). I then had the binge. I ate large amounts of frosted cookies, dessert breads, and this chocolate and peanut butter covered snack mix. And I ate a lot of it all. It was several thousand calories worth of fat and sugar, all coming after I already was eating in a surplus for the day (probably 300+ over maintenance, maybe more. End day calories estimated at 6000).

What should I do now? How do I approach food the next couple of days? Should I lower at all or continue to eat normal (like 300 surplus 1000 surplus etc)?

For the last week, my daily surplus has only been about 300 calories a day. Could I just pretend that the binge was spread out over that week and didn't happen in one day and act as if my surplus each day was more like 800 calories instead of 300? My goal is a large surplus anyways.
My logic: 6 days of 300 surplus + 1 day binge calorie surplus = 7 days of 800 calorie surplus

Replies

• Glitch267
    Options
    Bump
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Especially since you're already on a bulk, I wouldn't worry about it. Generally, trying to "make up" for a binge by cutting more calories isn't helpful. Just return to your regularly scheduled calorie goal.
  • Glitch267
    Options
    Update:
    I have decided to change my lifting program a bit. I am going to do the same lifts, but at different weights.

I decided to not peruse the usual progression rate of starting strength. Adding that much each workout is too much for me. I don't want to be adding that much weight because it's hurting my form.

So, I am going to do slower progression and slightly lower weight to focus on my form. I noticed my form was slipping. Being a novice, I want to focus on form over the weight I'm lifting. I don't want to build a bad foundation.

Weight update:
    So far, my body weight has been increasing by 1.5 pounds a week. Is that a good rate to continue at?
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    OP, are you struggling with an eating disorder? At 5'7, 110lbs is far too low for a male.
  • Glitch267
    Options
    OP, are you struggling with an eating disorder? At 5'7, 110lbs is far too low for a male.

In past yes but working on gaining now
  • missiontofitness
    Options
    Glitch267 wrote: »

Do you have a care team in place, and are you being supervised during your gaining phase? I'm only asking, because these would influence the kind of advice people should and could be giving you.

I wish you all the luck regardless, OP, and I am very happy you are actively trying to improve your intake.
  • Glitch267
    Options

Do you have a care team in place, and are you being supervised during your gaining phase? I'm only asking, because these would influence the kind of advice people should and could be giving you.

I wish you all the luck regardless, OP, and I am very happy you are actively trying to improve your intake.

Yes I have a full team that is active in my recovery.

Sometimes it's just nice to get some reassurance and advice from others. Of course, their advice is always first
  • missiontofitness
    Options

Sometimes it's just nice to get some reassurance and advice from others. Of course, their advice is always first

Well, what I would say first and foremost is to put the binge behind you. Especially in recovery, bodies like calories. Calories heal damage, and help bring your body back to a healthy state. Especially if your recovery is recent, I am going to assume that your team is or has encouraged a surplus and supervised refeeding period, and you look receptive and open to this.

Daily goals don't always matter as long as you are still on track for the week/month. Accept what happened, and plan for the future (which you've already done). Spread out over the week, the number in your surplus looks much more manageable, especially because you are combining it with strength training. You also list your goal can be up to 3,300 a day in your other thread, and over the week, you're averaging with your calorie goals.

The best thing I can tell you is to continue what you're doing, report what happened today to your care team, brush off your shoulders, and treat tomorrow like a brand new day.

You've got this, OP.
  • kimw91
    kimw91 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I am just worried about the 'it happens once every six weeks or so at most which is normal'. I don't think binging is ever normal. Eating large quantities of food, consciously, because you decide to and know it will leave you with no hard feelings afterwards is normal (although not necessarily advisable).

That said, try not to linger on the binge. I've been dealing with binging for about two years to and whenever I try to compensate (by eating less) for it afterwards, I just get overly hungry and go down the same road again. You could possibly try to go a little lower on (processed) fats and sugar for a few days if you think that would help. Personally I hate eating junk soon after a binge cause I feel like there's grease coming out of my pores already, lol.

Mention what happened to your care team, see what they say and mainly try to stay on the same track as usual. Good luck! :smile:
  • beatnikragamuffin
    beatnikragamuffin Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm currently cutting and I had a 13000+ calorie treat day a couple of weeks ago. I think it does you good psychologically to let loose once in a while, For me personally it refocuses me in the gym once I've had a binge day and I work even harder, then the next day I'm back spot on with my macros. Seeing as your on a bulk it will actually be beneficial for you moving towards your goals. Don't worry about it. :D
  • Glitch267
    Options

Well, what I would say first and foremost is to put the binge behind you. Especially in recovery, bodies like calories. Calories heal damage, and help bring your body back to a healthy state. Especially if your recovery is recent, I am going to assume that your team is or has encouraged a surplus and supervised refeeding period, and you look receptive and open to this.

Daily goals don't always matter as long as you are still on track for the week/month. Accept what happened, and plan for the future (which you've already done). Spread out over the week, the number in your surplus looks much more manageable, especially because you are combining it with strength training. You also list your goal can be up to 3,300 a day in your other thread, and over the week, you're averaging with your calorie goals.

The best thing I can tell you is to continue what you're doing, report what happened today to your care team, brush off your shoulders, and treat tomorrow like a brand new day.

You've got this, OP.

Thank you for the support. They do want me to gain and I don't want disappoint. I also want to gain and get better.
    kimw91 wrote: »
    I am just worried about the 'it happens once every six weeks or so at most which is normal'. I don't think binging is ever normal. Eating large quantities of food, consciously, because you decide to and know it will leave you with no hard feelings afterwards is normal (although not necessarily advisable).

That said, try not to linger on the binge. I've been dealing with binging for about two years to and whenever I try to compensate (by eating less) for it afterwards, I just get overly hungry and go down the same road again. You could possibly try to go a little lower on (processed) fats and sugar for a few days if you think that would help. Personally I hate eating junk soon after a binge cause I feel like there's grease coming out of my pores already, lol.

Mention what happened to your care team, see what they say and mainly try to stay on the same track as usual. Good luck! :smile:
    It's not always a binge I just mean overheating a bit like on thanksgiving. It's not a binge where I go and eat alone out of emotions.
    I'm currently cutting and I had a 13000+ calorie treat day a couple of weeks ago. I think it does you good psychologically to let loose once in a while, For me personally it refocuses me in the gym once I've had a binge day and I work even harder, then the next day I'm back spot on with my macros. Seeing as your on a bulk it will actually be beneficial for you moving towards your goals. Don't worry about it. :D
    Thanks that's good advice. I do feel more focused now but I'm also still worried. I am trying to gain but I just don't want the binge to cause some fast fat gain