Exercise anxiety

Options
I'm really struggling to get into exercising. I eat healthy and am not too overweight, but It's always an on again off again kind of relationship.

It's not so much that I get burned out-but more of that I get anxious going to the gym and feel as though I'm judged. It's also overwhelming to me to be around that many people because I find myself in a constant state of comparing myself. Ultimately I can't get a good workout in because my mind is racing and I start feeling sick and upset. Exercise was never really encouraged in my family, but sports were.

Does anyone struggle with exercise? How do you enjoy it or get into it?

Replies

• smalltown_princess
    smalltown_princess Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Honestly, asone of maybe ten women who lift at my school I feel extremely judged every time I walk into that weight room. For you maybe it's working next to someone on the machines. I'm pretty sure my method will work for you. Before you go to the gym make a playlist that gets you pumped up, fast stuff like rap or rock and when you get to the gym put in your headphones as loud as you can handlr and zone out to the music. Works for me everytime
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Most will tell you that no one is really looking at you, they are just there to get their workout in. As far as enjoying it or getting into it - I just schedule it and do it. I don't love what I do, but I like it ok, and really like how I feel when I'm done.

If you have anxiety at the gym you could always work out at home.

Maybe this blog will inspire you:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/usmcmp/view/valentine-s-day-2011-729402
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I always hated exercise if it was supposed to be exclusively for the purpose of exercise. It had to be something that I wanted to do for fun. Swimming, riding bike, going for a hike, stuff like that. But it wasn't until recently that I really started wanting to exercise (and I'm no spring chicken). I tried Zumba and that was fun. Then in recent years I discovered that what I love more than any of those things is lifting weights.

So, my advice is find something you really like. It doesn't have to be at the gym. Maybe it is Zumba on the Wii or Xbox at home, or other workout DVD's at home. There are lots of options. Try some. But, don't feel discouraged or down on yourself if you quit one, just keep looking for other things to do. You might need to try a bunch.
  • JenniferInCt
    JenniferInCt Posts: 431 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I used to always feel like that, and to be honest sometimes i still do. What changed it for me was- going more frequently, at first i went during hours it wasnt too busy- monday late morning or late nights, i watch tv on my phone or ipad (either through my cable companys app or netflix), and mostly i talk myself out of it. I always say- should i be more worried about what people think about me bc im at the gym trying to improve myself, or worry when im in public feeling overweight. I think after awhile the benefits and positive aspects of enjoying exercise outweigh the anxiety. Those people at the gym mostly feel the same way you do. And for all they know, youve been going to the gym for years. If you really hate that feeling that much, dont go to the gym. Workout at home or outside. I find the anxiety is often worse than reality. Easier said than done, but if it's something you really want, you will get better at dealing with it. Just know that a ton of people feel the same way and can relate.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    "Exercise" doesn't have to mean the treadmill and weights at the gym. Would you feel more comfortable with fitness videos in your living room or computer room? (fitnessblender.com is free!) What about going for a walk, or a weekend hike with a friend? How about joining an adult sports league like soccer or roller derby? Buy a cheap bike off Craigslist and start riding?

My best strategy for calming down the anxiety waterfalls like you describe is deep breathing, but I'm not sure how effective that would be *during* cardio. Certainly it would work great walking into the gym and getting ready to workout.

If you're dead set on the gym, I like the above suggestion of zoning out to awesome music. Also, I *always* put a towel over the machine readout. That first of all keeps me from fixating on how much time/distance I have left, but it also means people around me aren't going to be snooping on how hard I'm working compared to them.
  • kristineme3
    kristineme3 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I completely understand what you're going through! It's nerve wracking and anxiety-inducing when you start going to the gym. Like some people above mentioned, keeping distracted with music really helps! I also use the PumpUp app to make a workout so I know exactly what to do when I get there (I used to be so lost!) Good luck! :#
  • Andrea1rp
    Andrea1rp Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of great replies here-thank you!

I have tried zumba and loved it for a while-but classes aren't offered at good times. I'm working on joining a club field hockey team.

I guess what is difficult for me is I'm an anxious person in general. It's not so much I'm a first timer at the gym, it's more of people are exhausting (I'm more of an introvert). That being said, it's great knowing I'm not alone feeling this way.
  • Frequently_Fabulous
    Frequently_Fabulous Posts: 132 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I know it's irrational, but I still hate hate hate working out in a room of people. I feel like they're always talking about me (even though I KNOW that's a silly thought and everyone is focused on their own workout). I joined a 24 hour gym and started going at 6am. But even that got way too crowded, especially around the New Year, so I bumped it back to 5am (and sometimes even to 4:30am). I GREATLY prefer the AM crowd- it's more serious exercisers who are focused on heir workouts and the gym is noticeably emptier- it's so much more relaxing for my anxious self, haha!
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Andrea,
    sounds like you need to reprogram yourself about exercise and body image. Instead of going to a gym, why not find a fun activity that makes you feel great about yourself?
  • RebelDiamond
    RebelDiamond Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I find it's better to have a plan before you get in there, that way you don't feel lost. The music idea is good too. Another option (if crowds/people freak you out a bit) is to do some solo training, like
    - downloading a couch to 5k jogging app and jog/walk outdoors
    - getting some equipment at home (skipping rope/dumbbells) and creating your own routine (stuff like burpees, lunges, push-ups, squats and mountain climbers require no equipment)
    - find a womens only gym
    - go at non-peak times
  • GPHX_GEEK
    GPHX_GEEK Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I share your feelings about the gym. Gyms make me feel awkward and without a personal trainer, I don't even know if I'm using the machines right or if my workouts are effective. I used to think not going to the gym meant I just didn't like working out. Don't get me wrong, I know a lot of people who do great at gyms, I'm just not one of them. Turns out I LOVE working out! This is now my 22nd week of commited, 5-day a week exercise...not in the gym. Here's what I did, maybe it will help you to consider other possibilities to stay fit:

1. I'm a gamer, so I decided to use my console for fitness and bought the Zumba Rush game for Xbox 360 Kinect (SO MUCH FUN). I use it as my "light" cardio before I go into my normal routine.
    2. A friend of mine introduced me to www.fitnessblender.com. It's free (though they have very affordable programs if you want to take out all the guess-work). Let me tell you, it's VERY effective. So I invested in a good pair of adjustable dumbells (I went for the PowerBlock 2.4) and a yoga/exercise mat.

Trust me, you don't have to go to a gym to be fit; you don't even need all the equipment. There are many other options for out-of-the-gym exercising. I'm sure you've also seen the commercials for a thing called "Daily Burn"; as well as many other free options. YouTube has a ton of fitness channels. I personally recommend Fitness Blender the most, but I've also done some workouts from XHit, BeFit and Joanna Soh.

Anyway, I've rambled on long enough. I hope this helps.

P.S. Pinterest has a ton of links to fitness challenges and routines too.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I am not someone who can directly relate, but there are a few things you can do to address this anxiety. One solution that works for a lot of people is to get a personal trainer. They can help you understand the exercises and help you get the best results for the time you’re there. If having an appointment and having a coach doesn’t help, then I’d suggest you do one of two things: 1) Find a sport you like that will give the same results (e.g., tennis, soccer, ultimate frisbee, etc.) and/or 2) Get workout DVDs and/or set up a home gym.

I know I can tell you that nobody is judging you. If anything, when I see an untrained person in the gym it makes me very happy to know they’re making an effort to change. Sometimes the best in life comes when you go outside your comfort zone. Find a way to do that and good things will come your way.
  • minipony
    minipony Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Going with a friend or training buddy works well for me. I too have insecurities and days where I just don't want to go because of physical or emotional reasons, but knowing I am meeting someone keeps me on track and I always am glad I went.
  • alysme
    alysme Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I went to the gym last night, if you lined up everyone who was there and some extras.
    I couldn't tell you who was there and who wasn't.
    Honestly no one is looking at you, no one cares what you're doing. We're all too busy wiping the sweat out our eyes and humming along to the music.
  • zipa78
    zipa78 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Andrea1rp wrote: »
    Does anyone struggle with exercise? How do you enjoy it or get into it?

Find something that you like. Here are some suggestions to get you going... :smile:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sports
  • zipa78
    zipa78 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    alysme wrote: »
    Honestly no one is looking at you, no one cares what you're doing. We're all too busy wiping the sweat out our eyes and humming along to the music.

Unless you're smoking hot, in which case I'll smile and suck in my gut, go "hubba hubba" in my head and then get back to wiping sweat and squatting.
  • alysme
    alysme Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Oh yes... The cute personal trainer. I know he was there last night.
    Anyone else... Who knows?!
  • pinkshoelaces
    pinkshoelaces Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I have this issue as well, which is why I always go o the gym around two in the morning. If this is a possibility for you, I'd suggest doing it. If not, you can always switch to working out at home or somewhere more private.

However, when I do find myself in a situation where I'm exercising with other people around, I just try to remind myself that they're not paying attention to me and don't care that much about what I'm doing. And even if they are judging me, well that's their business and their problem, not mine. I know this won't fix it as I can totally understand social anxiety, but it does help a bit when I need to work up the courage to do what I need to do.
  • bbywajohny
    bbywajohny Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem and at times i stil get anxious. I decided not to run away from my anxiety but to face it.
  • SteelersFan7
    SteelersFan7 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I get up early and go to the gym at 6am. It's definitely not as busy at that time. I have a mild social anxiety, so the fewer people to dodge the better off I am. I also make sure to have a fully charged mp3 player. I put my headphones in and block out everything else. I change my routine every 4-6 weeks so I don't get too bored. When I'm having a hard day getting into my routine I focus on how great it will feel when I'm finished.