I need help! DESPERATELY!

Options
2»

Replies

• azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    You want to lose 80 pounds in less than 5 months? That would be almost 4 pounds a week. Not a good ideal, what's the rush?

Exactly. Set a more realistic goal and you are less likely to fail.
  • PurpleTina
    PurpleTina Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Just a thought, but since you're in the UK, did you watch the three Horizon programmes about 'the right diet for you'? They may still be available on BBC iPlayer. Absolutely fascinating stuff, and they identified three groups of people, the reasons behind why they overeat, and a relevant diet to think about based on that. There was a questionnaire on BBC website that could help you identify which of the three groups you fitted most closely with, which would be a great start.
    I watched the programmes, did the quiz, and have found it enormously helpful in understanding a bit more about myself.
  • Nekrachael
    Nekrachael Posts: 74 Member
    Options

Cheers for the post. Just a quick question. I was told that pastas, rice and potatoes were fattening and I should cut them out from my diet. Is this true?

The fattening thing is when you eat too much of them. For me, I am more likely to eat too much of these foods, so I kind of avoid them. The fattening thing is when you put more calories in your mouth than you burn.

Regarding your question on what to eat after work, keep easy things around. Cheese, carrot sticks, packaged yogurt, bananas, peanut butter- these things are filling, easy to measure, and require no cooking.

Good for you for tackling this! You can do it.
  • pwatol
    pwatol Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your replies. I have read through all of them and found them very endearing and supportive.

Just a quick update into my life schedule for those whom were asking. I go to Uni approximately 4 days a week. I work in a pub approximately 20 hours a week during Term time and full time during holidays.

A lot of my nights are late because I am closing at the pub and end up coming home at 2:00 am. Not having eaten since 7:00 pm, I often resort to ordering takeout (usually pizza because that is generally what's left open) so if anyone could offer an alternative to this, it would be a great help to me and my wallet.

Many of you guys suggested different foods to start eating, which I appreciate and will try. Are there any exercises and/or workouts that I should be focusing on while I go to the gym or at home?

Maybe stock up on some hearty canned vegetable or bean soups and chilis and heat one (or even two!) up when you get home? It's probably cheaper, faster, and healthier than eating a pizza.
  • eapple87
    eapple87 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm just getting started too and it looks like you got a lot of great advice! I don't eat meat so I find it difficult to reach my protein goal. I used a whey powder yesterday with 2/3 cup of almond milk and it helped me hit that mark. I found that eating a large portion of salad before whatever else I'm going to eat has really helped to fill me. Yesterday I had 3 cups, about the size of a large dinner plate. I paired it with a really nice split pea soup and almost couldn't move afterward. Good luck! You can do this!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    As pointed out above and yourself you have a track record of not succeeding with the diets. Spending time understanding and working out why this time will be a success has to be one of your priorities, otherwise you will just repeat the pattern. Using MFP is a start.

Dont worry about anonymity, MFP has millions of users, identity is most irrelevant and most are from the US anyway.

Blaming the NHS is weak. Have you been to your GP have you asked for assistance with your weight loss? have you looked at the NHS website there are complete plans and guidance on losing weight? All unis have a health centre where you could get assistance.

All unis will have subsidised gym facilities.

Your target is pretty unrealistic. Safe weight loss is normally 1-2lb a week and you are aiming for something more like 4. You may even hit that in the beginning but the first weight comes off easily and then it slows down the closer you get to target weight. You should be able to keep 2 up though.

Get some mfp friends with open diaries especially and then you cna see what they eat. Your daily maintenance calories is c3252 calories, for every 1lb a week you wnat to lose then thats -500, so 2252 for a loss of 2lb a week.

Logging and understanding what you eat and how many calories is essential. You need to learn how to spend those calories so you feel full and get adequate nutrition. You are going to have to start shopping sensibly and preparing your own food. Its also cheaper.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    pwatol wrote: »
    Thank you everyone for your replies. I have read through all of them and found them very endearing and supportive.

Just a quick update into my life schedule for those whom were asking. I go to Uni approximately 4 days a week. I work in a pub approximately 20 hours a week during Term time and full time during holidays.

A lot of my nights are late because I am closing at the pub and end up coming home at 2:00 am. Not having eaten since 7:00 pm, I often resort to ordering takeout (usually pizza because that is generally what's left open) so if anyone could offer an alternative to this, it would be a great help to me and my wallet.

Many of you guys suggested different foods to start eating, which I appreciate and will try. Are there any exercises and/or workouts that I should be focusing on while I go to the gym or at home?

Maybe stock up on some hearty canned vegetable or bean soups and chilis and heat one (or even two!) up when you get home? It's probably cheaper, faster, and healthier than eating a pizza.

Another suggestion is to cook some meals in advance and freeze or refrigerate them for your meals after work. You can go home, pop the food in the microwave and have a quick, easy dinner. If you own a slow cooker, it's great for this purpose.
  • TruthToFreedom
    TruthToFreedom Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys for all these tips, will definitely try them out. I understand that my goals are a bit overachieving, and will try to re-evaluate what I want to get out of this situation.

I also saw someone mentioned to reduce the alcohol intake. Obviously being a Uni student and working at a pub makes it difficult to not have a cold pint after work but I will definitely try to reduce that as much as possible.

I will begin using the diary feature on MFP and have just installed the app for Android which will make things simpler.

Thanks again guys :)