2015 Adopt a Noob Official MFP Thread

Alex
Alex Posts: 10,145 MFP Staff
edited October 2015 in Getting Started
Welcome to the 2015 Adopt-a-Noob Discussion!

This thread is dedicated to those MFP members that would like to volunteer their time to mentor or adopt a new comer to MFP; with the high volume that occurs in the beginning of the year, this will be an easy way for new members to view profiles of members to friend and lean on for advice, guidance or direction.

For those who participated in the Adopt-a-Noob discussion last year - giant thanks for your willingness to give back and support others on their path. If you have recently posted in the original discussion, or volunteered last year and have bandwidth again, please be sure to re-post here. Also a special thanks to @psulemon for owning this discussion the entire last year.

Mentors

We will maintain a list of forum members (in this post) of all the members that would like to become a mentor or volunteer their time. We suggest that you post some background (essentially a short profile) on yourself to give the new members some prior knowledge. If at any time, you want to revise your post, please send an update to @Nova, @Jordan or @Alex, and we will alter your original post as soon as we are able.

New members

Please review the short paragraphs of the members and feel free to PM them or send a friend request (you should include a little bit about yourself as many members won't accept blank friend request). Hopefully, you will utilize this as a mentoring tool to increase the chances of success.

Keep in mind, that mentors are NOT obligated to accept new members if they do NOT feel it's a good fit... especially if you PM them with a creepy message or their plate is full.

Thank you for your support!

ps - please follow the rules. All thread hijacking will be followed by a strike as it violates the rules. If you don't understand the rules, please see below.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

Volunteer's
(MFP Staff will update this section as people throw their hat in to adopt noobs for the new year)

_runnerbean_
3athlt
4theking
acnoyes
Adam2k10
agulamali
AJ_G
allaboutthefood
andy_geek
ankitchadha29
annette_15
AntonioP23
ArchyRunner
bdavis1990
beastcompany
betharin
bigjack69
bobsox
Brolympus
Buttercupxxx
cadownham
caffeinatedbookworm
CAWFEE_TAWK
ChrissyC1985
cklbrown
CyberTone
Daiako
Danielle_Husband
darrensurrey
davert123
dc1745
DerekVTX
dinosnopro
donnysoule
editorgrrl
ekuncl
Elise4270
EmmaFitzwilliam
eoin21
erizzatto
evanderburrell
ewhsweets
extraordinary_machine
farfromthetree
findingmyw1ngs
FitFitzy331
foxlme
gamesandgains
GBO323
getskinnykaylen
getthatrunnershigh
GettingConfident
girlviernes
gmallan
GothyFaery
gr8tfulm
hassankarimi82
HazelBug1987
Hondo_Man
IamMCM
Jacwhite22
jamessteelapim
JaneECS
Jergia_Peach
jgnatca
Jpat0
jsobole
juliah1234
kailyface
kaitlinconidi
kbear621
Kendall2006
kimberlyblindsey
kluvit
krisbox2014
Lalalindaloo
lalepepper
LeslieB042812
LetrellC
LolBroScience
loratliff
LosingLaurensWay
lynn_glenmont
meghanttu08
merv243
michaela_g09
misschoppo
MissD73x
missiontofitness
moniquedeanne
MrM27
MsMollyKing
Muddy_Yogi
MyChocolateDiet
narfy88
new_username
nlehe
ObiWanJacoby_
Panthers89
plm209
prattiger65
PrizePopple
radiosilents
rides4sanity
SativaMad
sazrina
sazzyanne14
Sewilban
Sinistrous
slikorify
soysauce6626
Spartanxi
Steph38878
taylorprice5682
theflyingpelican
themedalist
tjsoccermom
TR0berts
UmmSqueaky
writemusic4him
yogaveg
zoedavid93

Replies

• CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    I am available for mentoring up to five new members as of 26 December 2014.

I am male, 53 years old, American, omnivorous, and a peanut butter and chocolate lover. I joined MFP in 2012 and lost 40 lbs. over a two-year period without logging by just cutting back on portion size. I got serious with losing weight in July of 2013. Overall, I have lost 100 lbs. and have been maintaining my weight loss since December 2013. The majority of my exercise is very, very brisk walking (greater than 4.0 mph), although I occasionally run (about 6.25 mph) and have completed one official 5K in July 2014. I use Runkeeper as my walking/running app. My exercise goal for 2015 is to incorporate strength training more often. I lost all of my weight without using a food scale (only measuring spoons and cups). I started using a food scale when I realized I needed one to track my calories accurately as I transitioned to maintenance - now I use a food scale every day. Frankly, I am not a newsfeed cheerleader; that is, I don't find it necessary to like every post on my friends' newsfeeds, but I will answer both newsfeed and private mail messages. I also cook and bake a lot, and I like the Old Recipe Calculator better than the new Recipe Importer.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    edited March 2015
    Has found her noobs and is no longer accepting new applicants. :)

---
    I volunteer as a mentor. I like to lift, no it doesn't make you "bulky". I like to eat as food is fuel not the enemy. And I am sarcastic, so thin skinned folks need not apply.
  • Buttercupxxx
    Buttercupxxx Posts: 24 Member
    edited December 2014
    I am open to volunteering as a mentor....

Good afternoon! I am professional weight looser... At the age of 55 I have tried them all starting with Richard Simmons in the 80's. :). I have been a member of a gym all my life and have worked at 24 Hour Fitness for a short time I was the Aquatic aerobic instructor. But a life style change from California to Ohio pulled me out of the gym, and Arthritis has set into my knees.
    I am a Business Banker for my pay, but I am a private chef as my passion. I have been using My Fitness Pal for the last 2 or more years. Including when I went through the "diabetes program" from the YMCA. It did get me to make the habit of recording everything I ate.
    This past November I started on the Atkins program (1992) the old one by Dr Atkins. I only eat real food, no bars, shakes etc. I immediately lost 10 pounds, and I like instant gratification. Then I lost more.....then the Holidays came....I gained...
    Well I learned how to loose and I am starting again-today-
    Friend me and join me and we will do this together, I can teach you what to eat, how to change the goals on your "my fitness pal" and we will win (loose) together.

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited January 2015

---
    I can take on a couple people.

A year ago, I was in your position. I had a realization that if I kept to what I was doing I would develop type 2 diabetes about as soon as my dad did (he was 42 when diagnosed, I'm 33), and so I made a resolution. Last January 1 I weighed 246 pounds. The day I joined MFP three weeks later it was up to 248. Christmas Eve I weighed 194.8, for a loss of 53.2 pounds since I signed up here.

If you're looking for someone who eats "clean", or low carb/no added sugar, paleo, or any other diet out there, then I'm not the person for you. I have fast food at least once a week, pizza every Friday, and enjoy ice cream and gelato nearly every night. The difference now is I eat smaller portions or lower calorie options. I finally started lifting six weeks ago and wish I hadn't waited so long. Cardio isn't much for me, usually walking or some elliptical on my days off work or when I'm short on my Fitbit goal.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    edited January 2015

I can do a couple of people. I eat everything in moderation, there is no bad food, sugar is not the devil and I don't do any weird diets/cleanses/juicing. I lift heavy things and I like walking, I walk a lot. ;) I just recently hit my goal weight (lost 121 pounds) and now maintaining, next month planning on starting my first bulk. If you do 1200 calories or less and have no open diaries don't apply for this position. Please send a message with request, Thank you. :)
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    edited January 2015

I'm available as a mentor. As a soon to be 65 year old woman I understand the concerns that those of us who are a little older have in regards to weight loss, nutrition and exercise. It doesn't get easier as you age but it's still highly possible. I started here in September of 2013 and still haven't reached goal. I've lost about 55 lbs and still have about 15 or so to go.

I lift weights, do quite a bit of stretching and calisthenics type of exercises, including planks and standard pushups, and also swim at least two days a week. I don't like to restrict my diet too much and adhere to the EM2WL (eat more to weigh less) diet philosophy. I average about 1600-1700 calories a day and still manage to lose while maintaining what muscle I have. I believe strength is very important as we age.

If you're planning on eating 1200 calories or less we won't be a good fit, but if you want to supplement your healthy adventure with exercise and food to fuel it, I'd be happy to share what I've learned.

Lulu

• findingmyw1ngs
    findingmyw1ngs Posts: 107 Member
    I can mentor people if they like. One or two would be ideal because I really wanna be able to get to know you and your struggles. I, personally, don't have the best of eating habits, but I know what healthy eating looks like. Like many have said before, easier said then done. I don't judge people when they mess up (it will happen) because I've messed up plenty in my life. I've lost almost 25 lbs and plan to lose at least 5 more, but we'll see where things go. I'm a vegetarian too.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    My name is Melissa, and I'm excited to mentor three individuals in the coming year.

I've always loved to eat big quantities of food, and as a result I was fat for my whole life. I've lost almost 70 pounds since graduating from college and have successfully maintained that loss for over a year. I live with my fiance in beautiful West Philadelphia.

I eat a plant-based diet consisting of quick home-cooked meals, but I do incorporate the occasional treat and meal out. I try to stay as active as possible after a lifetime of sitting, and am training for the 2015 Philadelphia Marathon. I'm super interested in nutrition, cooking, and plant based eating!

I'm so excited to participate in this awesome program!
  • Train4Foodz
    Train4Foodz Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited December 2014
    My name is Adam, I will happily mentor a few people!
    I'm 25 years old and currently training to hopefully join the UK Royal Marines and have a fairly good all around knowledge of what has worked for me previously and what hasn't.
    My diet is fairly high protein and is aimed more towards lean muscle building but I have also been at the other end of the spectrum, loosing unwanted bodyfat.

I don't buy into the whole, no cardio whilst gaining muscle. For me that's just not an option!

A year and a half back I started out at around 18 stones and around 28% bodyfat, today I'm at 13.7 stones, 11% bodyfat. Training for one of the hardest courses of my life.
    I have 'me' back and plan on keeping the new and improved 'me' for the forseeable future!

Give 110% and you will get the same in return!!

This program is awesome and I will happily be a part of it for anybody that might wish to have me as a mentor.
  • maryseb63
    maryseb63 Posts: 98 Member
    edited January 2015
    Has found her noobs and is no longer accepting new applicants :)
    ---
    I would be willing to mentor. I have been on MFP for the last 11 months. I have lost close to 100 lbs. Well, i had lost 100 but have had a very bad week so more work needs to be done. I started at 275 and would like to reach 150. I have no special skills, I just believe in exercise every day and eating healthy as much as possible. I don't believe in depriving myself as I enjoy going out and indulging in good foods at times. I show up every day and just work it. I don't believe in special diets. I like to eat my food and as such I don't have shakes or protein drinks. I will be 52 next month and am retired but do take care of my mother who has medical issues. I would like to help out and if I get a request from this group I will make sure to do my best to support you.

Another thing I should mention, I started this as I wanted to live life and get healthy. I am off all meds that I had been on for at least a dozen years which included HIgh blood pressure medications and water pills.

We can do this for life, it is not a quick fix but a lifetime of work but so worth it in the end.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    I can take one or two people.

I'm still fairly new to this stuff myself, but in the last 4 months I've learned a lot. I don't do any real special diets, and mostly adhere to the "proper portions of the things I love" mentality. Exercise is hit or miss with me, but I am hoping that before long I will be able to being lifting (be it with a bar and weights at home, or caving and going to a gym).

I started September 1st at 198 pounds and am down to 176 as of this morning. I have a GI disease (diverticulosis) which is rare for a 33 year old. I was also recently diagnosed with PCOS, and if what my endocrinologist said was accurate I am also at the start of Hashimoto's disease. So my choice to lose weight couldn't have come at a better time as it has enabled me to stay medication free for the time being.

Those on very low calorie diets need not "apply". If sarcasm and colorful metaphors are not your thing, I'm not a good match for you. My dairy is open to friends, and I'd kind of like the same in return if I'm going to mentor you. :smile:
  • karlsantiago
    karlsantiago Posts: 90 Member
    Sup everyone.
    Helping others is what I love to do! A little about myself:
    I am currently working in physical therapy and am in the process of getting certified in personal training. I love to study nutrition and eventually wish to get a degree in the long-term. I love to motivate and love to see people progress. I come from a background full of hardship (to cut the story short lol) and all I know is hard work. So, if hard work and a positive attitude is what you are looking for...here I am! :)

Feel free to pm me or add me to know more about me or get some motivation!

PS, still kind of new to MFP I took a hiatus throughout this year because of work, etc. But despite that I promised myself I will be on every single day from now on.
  • SativaMad
    SativaMad Posts: 171 Member
    I will offer my time and knowledge to one member.. I might be new here but im sure i can contribute a lot.. Why one member, um see it like a trail run.. for both of us..
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    I'm available to mentor a few newbies. I am 40 years old and living in Ireland (GMT time zone). I have been tracking with MFP since the summer and have lost over a stone. Now in maintenance (well, after the Christmas weight has been dealt with!). I like jogging and am training for a 10k in march with some 5Ks in the near future. If you want help juggling work/kids/fitness and food give me a shout and we can help each other.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    edited January 2015

---
    I'd like to mentor a couple noobies.

I'm 46 years old. I had thought that middle-age was going to have control over my weight, but since using this site I've learned that I am the one in control. I've used this site for exactly 2 years and lost exactly 40 pounds. I have a very relaxed style in my general lifestyle and a relaxed method of logging (I don't own a food scale!). I eat all the foods I like, I haven't eliminated anything from my life. I do not do this thing perfectly, but what I'm doing has worked well for me with only a slight level of effort. The ups and downs don't worry me, the overall result thrills me.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited January 2015

--
    I can mentor one or two newbies.

I am 58 years old and have lost 81 lb. so far since last New Years and have 71 lb more to go. I have been on MFP since February. I started losing after a health scare that saw me spending last New Years in the hospital getting blood transfusions. In the testing they did, I also was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. In less than a year, I went from medication to managing it with diet and exercise only and my anemia is totally under control.

My weight loss and general health philosophy is common sense and individualization. I believe that CICO (calories in, calories out) is how you determine HOW MUCH to eat. I also believe that there are many good ways to determine WHAT to eat. I don't care if you are eating keto, paleo, clean, vegetarian, IIFYM (if it fits your macros), or whatever as long as it is nutritionally sound and satisfying to you. Same thing with exercise. As long as you are moving more than you used to, I don't care if you walk, run, lift, swim, etc.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    edited August 2015
    Azexas has found her newbies and is no longer accepting new applicants.

I'd like to be a mentor :) Over the past year I've lost 35 pounds by lifting weights and following IIFYM. I have a 495 day streak going so I can help motivate with logging consistently.
  • I'm interested

• Alex
    Alex Posts: 10,145 MFP Staff
    I'm interested
    Welcome to MyFitnessPal! Please send a private message to the mentor(s) you are interested in working with - be sure to share a bit about yourself.

This discussion has been closed.