2015 Adopt a Noob Official MFP Thread

Options

Replies

• sazzyanne14
    sazzyanne14 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I would like to be a mentor.

My names sally-anne. I have just in the last 6 weeks or so finally got my head around my own diet, knowing what I can and cannot eat, what makes me ill etc. and how to fit it in with my job and very active social life. I'm sure if I had someone to give me a little push here or a little nudge there then this would have happened a lot earlier in the year.

Anyone looking to start fitting everything in so you're eating the right amounts of food and getting the right nutrients in (especially those just out of university) feel free to give me a message.

• fat2strongbeth
    fat2strongbeth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I can mentor 1 or 2. I have been on MFP for a couple of years. I've lost 40lbs, log everyday and and have learned a lot along the way.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I am a noob just signed up today....I could use a mentor is one would like to mentor me!!!! I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you!

You need to read through the responses and see a mentor who would be a good fit.
  • moniquedeanne
    moniquedeanne Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'd be happy to mentor a couple of newbie's.

I'm 32, 5'5'', and 161 lbs. I've lost around 35 lbs this year with a different outlook on health and fitness.

I was diagnosed with Lupus earlier this year and that made me take a hard look at what I could do naturally to ease the symptoms of this disease. I started Crossfit in April of this year and fell in love. I've always been fairly active: sports in high school, Jillian Michael's videos/workout videos, weight training in the gym, and some mixed martial arts training in grappling, Jiu-Jitsu, and kickboxing.

I started eating about 90% Paleo to keep inflammation in my body down in combination with exercise. I took the week of Christmas off, but right before I got up to 111 days straight and started it over again yesterday. Paleo of course isn't for everyone and neither is Crossfit for that matter. It's really just a balance of healthy living.

I would not say I'm a runner, other than what is required in my Crossfit classes, but this Thanksgiving my sister talked me into running my first 10K (6.2 miles). We had run a 5K together a couple of months prior so I knew I had my work cut out for me. With the best intentions of training for my first 10K I managed to only practice once and that was only half the distance that I needed to go. But on the day of my 10K thanks to lots of Crossfit classes I finished in 1 hour and 10 minutes and I never walked. My profile picture is from just after the race I couldn't have been more surprised by myself or proud. I did what I thought I could never do, but I was wrong. We are capable of so much more than we realize.

• annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I'll add some more info I guess, Id love to help someone out

From I was born till I was 23, I was probably the laziest person you'd ever met. I refused to walk for more than 5 minutes, I skipped every PE class in school and I was a very picky eater. I only really ate fried foods and all of my dinners involved fries lol. Combine that with a very sedentary lifestyle, I ended up at 150lbs at 5'1.

After meeting my wonderful SO in december 2011 and learning that he had lost 60lbs I knew it was time for me to eventually make a change. It wasnt till may 2012 I felt ready. I started p90 and found this site about a week later. In the first year I lost 30lbs and I'm now sitting comfortably at 105 which I've maintained for almost a year now.

I've had periods with disordered eating, its been an emotional journey, but I've learned a lot about myself and my body, and I've become much healthier, confident, and I've explored a lot of new activities that I never would have even considered 3 years ago.

I'm a huge believer in not following specific diets, cleansing or cutting out food groups. This should be a lasting change and something thats enjoyable, fun and sustainable.

I would be honored to be a mentor so please send me a pm with a little info about yourself so we can get started :)
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Has found her noobs and is no longer accepting new applicants. :)

---
    I can mentor a couple this year.

I started 2 years ago, the day I was released from the hospital at an all time high weight, and an all time low health physical & mental. By logging my food at a reasonable deficit, and being consistent I've lost 127 lbs. In the beginning I was not physically able to do any exercise, about 3 months in I was able to start slowly.

I love to lift, ride my bike, use the punching bag (this is more for mental health than anything else, and I've even found a love for running. I love food, love to bake & cook so I talk about food a lot and best thing is you can include really good food and still lose weight. I absolutely hate cauliflower YUCK, but love ice cream and eat it almost nightly.

So if you think we'd be a good fit send me a pm please have a sense of humor
  • danieleast1987
    Options
    I am new to this app and don't know what I'm doing yet. I haven't even worked out how to add people and then if I do add someone what this actually means? I can't be the only one who is experiencing this so let's work together and smash all our goals! Who's with me?
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    I am new to this app and don't know what I'm doing yet. I haven't even worked out how to add people and then if I do add someone what this actually means? I can't be the only one who is experiencing this so let's work together and smash all our goals! Who's with me?
    Welcome, please take some time to read through the Frequently Asked Questions on the Customer Help page, accessible by clicking the Help link at the top of any Web page, or on the Help > FAQs / Feedback menu on the mobile app.
    Some helpful FAQs for sending PMs and friend requests are here.
    myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/1028959-how-do-i-send-another-user-mail-
    myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/12032-how-do-i-invite-a-current-member-to-be-my-friend-on-myfitnesspal-
  • andy_geek
    andy_geek Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I'm available to mentor a bunch of folks.

My name is Andy. I live in Washington state, i'm 48, married, no kids but two cats.

I've been on MFP for a few years and it's helped me lose close to 70 pounds. You can read my weightloss journey (it's a little stale after a year but gives you a feel for who i am) :
    http://allred.us/myweightlossjourney.htm

Andy
  • dnamouse
    dnamouse Posts: 612 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Has found her noobs and is no longer accepting new applicants :)
    ---
    I'm happy to mentor 1 or 2 newbies. Females only, preference to small (vertically challenged lol) peeps, as that's what I am, so I would be able to give more relevant help, particularly with goal weights and calorie calculations.

I've been on MFP for almost 2 years.

I'm 4'9, 35yo and a mother of 2. I live in Australia.

I've been maintaining my weight pretty steadily since October 2013.

I believe that there are no 'bad' foods, it's a matter of finding what is the right mix for you and that means experimenting. I love to cook and experiment, which is good because my household is gluten-free (2 Coeliacs) and lactose-free (2 lactose intolerant). I LOVE vegetables.

I have PCOS, I was pre-diabetic before I lost the weight and changed my lifestyle. I also have diastasis recti (split stomach muscles) thanks to my pregnancies with large babies.

I lost the majority of my weight following various forms of intermittent fasting which (for me) taught me how to tell the difference between real hunger and bored/ritual hunger, which was huge. I don't strictly fast any more, just as I no longer count calories (my diary is empty, sorry!), but follow a moderation approach having spent the last 2 years learning as much as I could and resetting my eating habits.

In terms of exercise, I lift 3x a week and like to keep active - getting up frequently from my desk or work bench to do other things, walking, running, swimming, kayaking, other watersports, I will pretty much have a go at most things.

If you think I could help you out, please send me a message with a little about yourself. I promise to get back to you within a couple of days (we're on holidays at the moment :smile: ).

• SnoopyMama15
    SnoopyMama15 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I could really use a mentor and love this idea. I have been overweight all my life. Even as a little girl and now many years later I am desperate. I lose and then gain. My body is telling me very loudly that I cannot continue this. I think having a mentor would really help me and I would appreciate it. I am 42 and weight 237lbs. I would like to get down to 150. I really need to do this for myself and my son. Thanks!
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    I could really use a mentor and love this idea. I have been overweight all my life. Even as a little girl and now many years later I am desperate. I lose and then gain. My body is telling me very loudly that I cannot continue this. I think having a mentor would really help me and I would appreciate it. I am 42 and weight 237lbs. I would like to get down to 150. I really need to do this for myself and my son. Thanks!

Welcome to MFP! Look through the postings and profiles of mentors, pick out who you would like to mentor you, and send them a PM telling them something about you to see if you are a good match. Good luck
  • SnoopyMama15
    SnoopyMama15 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • arussell134
    arussell134 Posts: 463 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Has found her noobs and is no longer accepting new applicants :)
    ---
    I'll volunteer!

After yo-yo dieting last for several years, I finally got serious about making reasonable, sustainable changes to my diet & fitness. In 2014, I finally not only met my weight loss goal, but exceeded it by a pound! I am now fitter than I have ever been - and I"m in my mid-30s and have 2 kids!

I would be happy to mentor 1-2 people in 2015. Ideally....

[*] You agree to NO gimmicks or weight loss products. If I see you are doing Advocare or want to do a juice cleanse, I just can't get behind that. I am interested in mentoring someone who's serious about doing this as a lifestyle change.
      [*] Potentially, you'd love help to become a better runner (or runner, period). I am an avid runner, having done every distance from the 5K to full distance marathon. I'm running my 5th half marathon in less than 3 weeks (With plans to run at least 2 more half marathons in 2015) and my 5K PR is 26:24. Currently trying to run a sub-8 minute mile and sub 25-minute 5K. I'd love to lend my knowledge to help someone else out!

If you are interested, please PM me more of your story.
    • MsMollyKing
      MsMollyKing Posts: 83 Member
      Options
      I would be happy to volunteer as a mentor. :)
    • Alex
      Alex Posts: 10,145 MFP Staff
      Options
      Happy New Year! And thanks to all the new volunteers. The volunteer list in the OP is current as of this post.
    • darrensurrey
      darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
      Options
      I'd be happy to help. My history's in my profile.

I guess 40 something males with around 50lbs to lose is my best match?
    • kb770
      kb770 Posts: 2 Member
      Options
      I'm a restart too.... How does one go about finding a mentor?
    • kb770
      kb770 Posts: 2 Member
      Options
      Duh... Just saw the "instructions". Thank you!
    This discussion has been closed.