2015 Adopt a Noob Official MFP Thread

Options

Replies

• the_arghbowl
    the_arghbowl Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I'm willing to take one or two n00bs.

I've been a member for over 2 years, going on 3. In all, I've lost over 40 pounds and am still going. I routinely do bulking & cutting cycles and aim to compete in power lifting competitions by mid-2015. I've done various programs (e.g. SL 5x5, Mad Cow, Shortcut to Shred, The Blueprint), and currently train using a hybrid program that's most effective for me.

If you're a cardio bunny, I'm not the mentor for you. If you want to work your way to lifting heavy, eating healthy yet big, and don't mind the occasional heavy squat/deadlift induced projectile vomit in the gym, feel free to message me.
  • dorkyfaery
    dorkyfaery Posts: 255 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Has found her noobs and is no longer accepting new applicants. :)

---
    I would be willing to take up to two noobs to mentor.

In 2014 I lost 22 pounds using MFP. At my heaviest I was around 215 and I'm currently fluttering below 170. I do a variety of activities including tennis, yoga, walking, body weight strength training, and occasionally barbell strength training. I follow a flexible eating approach and my diary is open to friends. My weight loss in 2014 was slow but steady because I ran very small deficits and sometimes gave myself permission to take time off from calorie deficits. This worked for me because I like food and wine, but also because it's closer to how I will need to operate once I reach a maintenance weight. Besides losing weight and being healthier, my goal is to build sustainable habits for the long haul. More information is available on my profile.

I am 36 and married with no children. I occasionally curse and I like people with a goofy sense of humor. If you think we would be a good fit please send a message telling me a bit about yourself and your goals and why you think we are a good fit. I keep my friends list small so I can keep up with everyone I follow, get to know them, and provide encouragement and hopefully fun interactions.

• NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I've had a lot of replies to my offer to act as a mentor. I'm loving this. I think I'm "full" now. I'm still getting messages from people and I hate saying "no" but I think I have to. I don't think I'll be helpful to anyone if I'm not able to keep up with people.

Is it appropriate to alter my first post in this thread to say that I'm no longer accepting new people to mentor?
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I'm in. I didn't get any takers last year, but I'll help as many as I can.

I'm a 42 year old male. I've been here at MFP for a few years. My main goals currently are getting stronger - not weight related, as I'm currently training for a powerlifting meet in March. That said, I've purposefully both lost and gained weight (cut and bulk). I'm perfectly willing to help anyone that is ready and willing to listen and follow basic advice.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    I can mentor 1-2 people. I have insulin resistance and a long history of binge eating. I am addressing both through a moderately low carb diet and moderately high fat and protein diet. I try to maintain as high a calorie diet as I can and still lose weight (1800-2200 daily seems to be working right now). This has helped me to not binge eat for the past nearly 20 weeks, and so far I have lost 45 lbs.

The other side of the equation is exercise. My primary activity is dance, which I will do 3-4 times a week. I'm also working on strength training using calisthenics and weight training. Do this 1-2 times per week, but I want to build up to 3-4 times.

If you think you might have insulin resistance/metabolic syndrome and would like to try a similar diet approach, I'd be happy to serve as a mentor. Here are some potential indicators of IR (only a doctor can diagnosis, but unfortunately this is often overlooked!)
    • Waist size of 40 inches or more in men and 35 inches or more in women.
    • High levels of triglycerides (a type of fat in the blood): Your levels are 150 milligrams per deciliter (mg/dL), or you're taking medicine to control your triglycerides.
    • Low levels of "good" (HDL) cholesterol: Less than 40 mg/dL for men and less than 50 mg/dL for women.
    • High blood pressure: Your blood pressure is 130/85 or higher, or you're taking medicine to treat high BP.
    • Blood sugar levels that are above normal: Your fasting blood sugar levels are 100 mg/dL or above, or you're taking medicine to treat high blood sugar levels.
    • Darkened skin around places like neck and armpits
    • PCOS
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Hey, I will mentor a few. I'm a fifty-something grandma, had Bariatric surgery last summer, and am now at 190 lbs from a high of 276. Weight loss so far has gained me spectacular health gains including normal blood pressure, normal blood sugar, and off cholesterol medications. My heel spurs are gone; bursitis is gone this past month.

My mobility gains make me happiest. I have just finished a winter-time "Learn to Run" program and I now regularly run 2.5 K.

Undertaking this project I had all kinds of expert training and support including a dietitian, physical therapist, psychologist, nurse, doctor, and surgeon. I am also rather thoroughly trained on how to eat for type 2 diabetes. I am very happy to "pay forward" all that I have learned.

A good match would be a mature dieter with a significant amount of weight to lose. I also like to connect with those who want to get active.

If you friend me, please also include a note why my profile appeals to you.
  • LeslieB042812
    LeslieB042812 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    I would love being a mentor to 1 or 2 people--it really can be mutually beneficial. I don't have all the answers and don't always practice all of the ones that I do have, but I've been "dieting" since I was 11 and generally know what works and what doesn't.

I'm 5'2" and currently weigh 148 lbs. at age 38. I'm down 10 lbs. from my all time high weight of 158 lbs. after recommitting on MFP last fall. My goal weight is 125, but I'd like to get down to 122 eventually. I had lost that much weight (158 to 122) about 6-7 years ago with Weight Watchers' old program and maintained the weight loss for 2 years before health and family issues derailed me. Since regaining, I've yoyo'ed quite a bit (learning what works and what doesn't work and trying to find my motivation), but feel that I'm back on track now and would love to share what I've learned with someone as we both continue on the journey together.

My weight loss philosophy can be pretty easily summed up that it's all about the calories, and specifically being religious about tracking them! Exercise is important for health, but it really won't make you lose weight unless you're also at a calorie deficit. It is also important to be patient--I can gain 4 lbs in a week long vacation, but I know it will take 1-2 months to lose it. I see a lot of people get derailed when they don't see fast results. I expect a long term average of about 1/2 lb per week loss when I'm staying consistent. I think this is especially true for short people like me.

I also have found that while no food is off limits, some foods help me stay on track more than others. Therefore, I try to focus on higher protein, lower refined carb, high volume, less processed (whole) foods for my core diet with other foods as treats only. I also try to limit artificial sweeteners because I've found that they really do make it harder for me to resist binge cravings. I am currently an omnivore, but I was a lacto-ovo vegetarian for 5 years (including the time of my initial weight loss and maintenance).

I currently only have real-life friends on my friend list, but if you'd like to partner through this mentoring project, please feel free to reach out. I think I would be most helpful to a shorter woman, like myself, since that's what I know!
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

---

I'll be willing to mentor up to 10 people. If I get that many, I'll either do regular blogs or start a group for topics that interest you guys.

I've been on MFP since January 2010 - this is my 5-year anniversary. Since I joined, I lost 30 pounds very, very slowly and have maintained for a couple of years now. I battle with EDNOS - anorexia, bulimia, binge eating, weird OCD issues related to food. I know how hard losing weight in a healthy manner can be when you're prone to eating disorder behavior, but I've learned a lot about how to succeed over the years. I'd love to help out a few people facing these challenges. Disclaimer: I'm not a substitute for a therapist. I expect that you are in recovery/recovered and have adequate external support. I have no problem unfriending you and reporting you if you're engaging in and encouraging unhealthy behavior.

Just looking for a weight loss buddy? I can do that too. I believe in small caloric deficits, lots of protein, fat, and fiber, getting most of your calories from unprocessed food, having treats, having occasional splurges, regular workouts that include resistance training, doing your research, and being patient. My personal workout regime is mostly running and kinda-heavy lifting.

Feel free to browse my profile. If you think we'd be a good fit, send me an FR with a note. Looking forward to getting to know you!
  • fillingame
    fillingame Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I just want to say as a "noob" this was a great idea and I am so glad that I got on here, looked at it, and snagged me an AWESOME mentor. Thanks for all the support on and off the forums!!!
  • nerdymathgrrl
    nerdymathgrrl Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I volunteer to act as a mentor. I've lost 87 lbs on MFP since October 2013, and it hasn't been easy, but I've learned a lot along the way. I recently got a Fitbit, so if you have one, you can add me on there as well. I have a more extensive bio on my profile if you want to know more about me.
  • ajff
    ajff Posts: 986 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

---
    I can mentor one or two people!

I have been overweight my whole life. Something clicked last March and I started investing in myself! I began at MFP April 2014 and set myself up to eat 1800 calories a day. Over the summer I began walking, then jogging (a little), then biking. Now it is 8 months later and I usually eat under 1500 calories per day; I have lost 70 pounds and am looking to lose another 60 - 70.

I believe in eating real food! I love to cook, but I also think little compares to fresh quality produce! If I want something, I usually go for it in small portions or I exercise to earn it. Additionally, I am a mother to 2 fabulous girls, a wife, and science teacher; so I know busy! But I have decided that I am worth investing in no matter how hectic life gets!
  • elpurple
    elpurple Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I've been around here for a little while, losing a stone then putting it back on. I'm a single mum working two jobs in a high stress environment - perfect for reaching for lots of high cal quick option food. My downside is eating rather than dealing with things going on in my life. I want to start losing weight steadily. I love walking and geocaching which helps with exercise but have a number of joint problems which can limit how much exercise I can do which is why I opt for walking and log it on runkeeper. Anyone in a similar situation/similar eating habits with A LOT to loose would be amazing :) x
  • GBO323
    GBO323 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I would be honored to mentor 2 guys.

I'm married, 45, lost ~80 pounds and have been on maintenance since August 2014. Used MFP for a few years and find calorie counting to be the best way to balance my eating lifestyle and weight loss/maintenance. Not a gym rat, but finding myself getting more active. Learning that we have a relationship with food and we should always stay in the control seat. Many tools to learn along the road that will ensure success. I truly believe if I can do this, ANYONE can do this!

Two key success tools I abide by are Accident Forgiveness and Consistency is Key. I'll give 100% if you commit 200%.

Here's to a great 2015. Make this your year!
  • IamMCM
    IamMCM Posts: 122
    Options
    I'd be happy to mentor up to five people. A bit of quick background: I'm a 50 year old married woman who knows what to do to lose weight, but I got lazy and came to MFP after regaining what I'd previously lost. That laziness, plus hormones of the "dreaded change," mean a few extra challenges for weight loss.

This site is great motivation for me to stay on track, and I'd love to give support to others, too, because I know that it's important to have someone to help you with accountability, to be a sounding board, and to just remind you that you're not alone in this struggle.

I have four cats and a dog and used to be a counselor, but now I teach psychology online. I love it, but it also means a lot of sitting which means I must be more conscious about getting off my butt for exercise and staying away from snacks while at the computer. I plan to start C25K, and in the meantime I have a health club membership and plenty of exercise DVDs, so no excuses!

If you're interested in someone to support you in losing weight the healthy way, I'm here!
  • melaniejordan94
    Options
    Hi everyone! I just started today and I'm looking for a mentor. I'm a 20 year old Australian and my metabolism has slowed down significantly in the last year and I'm gaining weight fast. My main goal is to change my habits before I become overweight but I'd also like to lose 10-15 kilograms. I would prefer a mentor who uses metric weight measurement but I'm not too fussed so I don't mind if I have to convert kg to pounds/km to miles.
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    Olivia wrote: »
    Welcome to the 2015 Adopt-a-Noob Discussion!
    New members
    Please review the short paragraphs of the members and feel free to PM them or send a friend request (you should include a little bit about yourself as many members won't accept blank friend request). Hopefully, you will utilize this as a mentoring tool to increase the chances of success.
    ^^^ New members, please note the above instructions and send a private message or friend request to volunteer mentors instead of posting to this thread. You will most likely get a quicker response via PM or friend request. Cheers! CyberTone
  • ambelinada
    Options
    Hi! I'm 32 and 305 lbs. I'm tall, but I've gained 100 lbs in the last 3 years. I too realized that if I didn't take serious action, I'd be looking at type 2 diabetes. I'm a step - mom to a wonderful 9 year old who calls me Mommy, and I'd like to be a better example for her!

A couple of years ago I lost 40 lbs in 4 months using my fitness pal...but I still consider myself a noob. The thing I was missing last time was a sense of community. I own my own business...And my husband doesn't do this with me so I'm asking for help!

Let me know if you'd like to help encourage me. It sounds like you've been really successful!

Sincerely
    Amber Holt
  • melaniederoehn
    melaniederoehn Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I am Melanie and I am new to mfp. I would love a mentor, I definitely do better when there is accountability involved.
  • tylynlezlie30
    Options
    Hi! I'm 21 and have been on and off mfp for 2 years. I would love to have someone mentor me as I feel like that would help me commit to this new lifestyle. Anyone who is up to help me out message/add me :) thank you
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    CyberTone wrote: »
    Olivia wrote: »
    Welcome to the 2015 Adopt-a-Noob Discussion!
    New members
    Please review the short paragraphs of the members and feel free to PM them or send a friend request (you should include a little bit about yourself as many members won't accept blank friend request). Hopefully, you will utilize this as a mentoring tool to increase the chances of success.
    ^^^ New members, please note the above instructions and send a private message or friend request to volunteer mentors instead of posting to this thread. You will most likely get a quicker response via PM or friend request. Cheers! CyberTone

Again...
This discussion has been closed.