2015 Adopt a Noob Official MFP Thread

Options

Replies

• Brolympus
    Brolympus Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I would be willing to mentor a few people that are interested in increasing strength/size. Would definitely enjoy working with "hard-gainers" like myself; Been training for 5 years, finally figured out how to consistently add muscle to my frame which previously seemed to do whatever it could to prevent gains, despite following advice from all kinds of fitness sources for a long time. Would be awesome to help others out who experienced the same issues I had.
  • ewhsweets
    ewhsweets Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I will gladly be a mentor for a couple of folks!
  • an111111
    an111111 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    hi just wondering if there is anyone available to mentor me from ireland or uk as it would be easier as we would be in the same timezone , otherwise all friend requests are apreciated as i do need the support , ive been yo yoing for years and want to get back on track . thanks a million aine
  • getstrongkaylen
    getstrongkaylen Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I would happily mentor a couple people!

I lost the bulk of my weight during the ending of 2013- beginning 2014. Since then I have changed my goals from weight loss to just being fit. I have found love for lifting heavy (something I wish someone told me to do sooner) and I still hate cardio(:

I think it's possible for anyone to lose weight, you just gotta find the right rhythm. So add me if you want!(:
  • ash_me
    ash_me Posts: 2
    Options
    i would like to have a mentor who can help me and push me to lose weight ... If I keep going like this I will have diabetes 2 so any help will be appreciated
  • Abraitsgone
    Options
    I'm very new. What's a Noob? What does MFP Thread mean? Thanks!
  • kbear621
    kbear621 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I would like to mentor a few people how have recently or are considering going the weight loss surgery route.

I am 35 and in May of this year I had the RNY. Prior to making the weight loss surgery decision, I had been on just about every diet imaginable and finally decided the surgery route was the best one for me to help make some longer term changes for my body and my life. I lost 70 pounds in preparation for the surgery and have lost 157 pounds since for a total of 227 since February, 2014. I have used this surgery as a catalyst to complete change my whole life, from the food I eat to the way I view food to my daily exersize routine. It is a very person decision and i would love to help others who are considering this route or have recently started down the WLS road.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I'm very new. What's a Noob? What does MFP Thread mean? Thanks!

Noob=slang for newbie
    MFP thread=a post/discussion on the message boards (i.e. we're in the Adopt a Noob thread)
  • CraigShift
    CraigShift Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I would like to have a mentor, I am 52 . Looking to lose 119 pounds I like to bicycle and walking the treadmill is not a problem. I just cant seem to get to the gym like I used to. I am also Vegan, which means I eat a plant based diet, Who needs the extra cholesterol anyway. I love food, I think that is the problem, being vegan does not mean there are no fatty and junk foods. So Would like a vegan mentor that knows good nutrition.
  • FitFitzy331
    FitFitzy331 Posts: 308 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I could mentor a few people. *Please leave a note when you send your FR so I know you would like me to be your mentor*

About me: I am 5'4" and 28 years old, I'm about 134lbs with a goal of 128-125lbs. My estimated body fat is 22.5%. I eat about 1700 calories a day (and I am losing weight!).

According to BMI I've only ever entered the "overweight" area a couple times. I've usually been at a healthy weight but I wanted to improve myself with weight training and different kinds of races. I've participated in a mud run, I'd like to do more, I've done long distance bike rides (one was 100+miles) and I'm planning to complete my first half marathon this April.

When it comes to food, I don't think anything is off limits (unless you don't like it!) Life is about moderation. Deprivation is only going to lead to resentment and failure.

I only have about 6-10lbs to go to reach my goal but I don't expect to hit it for several months. I am doing this slowly because I want to maintain it and I want to do it in the healthiest way possible. For the weight I want to lose, I want it to mostly be body fat, I'm eating a high amount of protein and moderate fat. I have fat and protein goals each day then just use the rest of my calories for carbs.

I log into MFP daily, I track all my calories though I admit I don't always "complete" my diary, my diary is open for any and all questions. I exercise 4-6 times a week, depending on my schedule. I am willing to be supportive of people and explain things I've learned over the last few years about fitness, health and diet.
  • hassankarimi82
    hassankarimi82 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I'm happy to help. I'm pretty knowledgable on IIFYM and bulk/cutting.
  • Alanasempire
    Alanasempire Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi! I would love a female mentor preferably here in the UK, who isn't mad for the gym and lifting weights. I recognise that exercise is important but going to the gym more than 3 or 4 times per week won't fit with my lifestyle. So I need encouragement from healthy, low calorie meal consumers. I love to cook so any recipe ideas would be greatly appreciated too.
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    @an111111
    @ash_me
    @Abraitsgone
    @CraigShift
    @Alanasempire‌
    Olivia wrote: »
    Welcome to the 2015 Adopt-a-Noob Discussion!
    New members
    Please review the short paragraphs of the members and feel free to PM them or send a friend request (you should include a little bit about yourself as many members won't accept blank friend request). Hopefully, you will utilize this as a mentoring tool to increase the chances of success.
    ^ New members, please note the above instructions and send a private message or friend request to volunteer mentors instead of posting to this thread. You will most likely get a quicker response via PM or friend request. Cheers! CyberTone
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    CyberTone wrote: »
    @an111111
    @ash_me
    @Abraitsgone
    @CraigShift
    @Alanasempire‌
    Olivia wrote: »
    Welcome to the 2015 Adopt-a-Noob Discussion!
    New members
    Please review the short paragraphs of the members and feel free to PM them or send a friend request (you should include a little bit about yourself as many members won't accept blank friend request). Hopefully, you will utilize this as a mentoring tool to increase the chances of success.
    ^ New members, please note the above instructions and send a private message or friend request to volunteer mentors instead of posting to this thread. You will most likely get a quicker response via PM or friend request. Cheers! CyberTone

You have far more patience than I do.
    You've reposted that at least four times now.
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Has found her noobs and is no longer accepting new applicants. :)

---
    I would be happy to mentor one or two noobs as a way to express my thanks for all the support I've received. I've had weight issues for years and have experienced many ups and downs. Last January, I decided that "Failure is not an option...but that stumbling is to be expected and embraced as a learning opportunity." This new mindset, the support of a dear friend who introduced me to MFP, and the many MFP members who take the time to share their experiences and learning have helped me go from "obese" to "overweight" to a "normal" BMI. (Yes, BMI is a bad measure but it helps to explain my progress). My weight loss goal for 2015 is to lose another 10 or so pounds and I will also be working to increase my cardio activity. My success to date has come from changing A LOT of bad habits, improving my nutrition, logging my calories daily, walking, and most importantly not giving up when I've struggled or stumbled.

I'm a mother of three and grandmother of four, with another grandchild due next month. Professionally, I work in the field of nonprofit organization management. I love to cook and I love to eat...none of this has changed. However, what I cook, how I cook it, and how much I eat has. Few off limit foods for me...I enjoy my veggies but I enjoy my chocolate too. For more information about me, please see my profile.

I'm ready to support you in achieving your goals and will be right there alongside you as I continue to work to achieve mine.

If you are interested in the possibility of us working together, Private Message me and let me know what your goals are and what you are looking for in a mentor.

Best wishes for success! Barbara

• mfpc14
    mfpc14 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I would like a mentor. Working adult going back to school for nursing, working full-time with a family, 2 dogs & a cat. :) I mostly have problems with overeating. I'm 5'4" 148lbs.
  • sexi_momma
    Options
    Plz help! I need a mentor. I've been dieting for a while but, the same thing always happens I work out for a month then I seem to lose interest. And I'm a noob so any one who can help would be appreciated.
  • Sinistrous
    Sinistrous Posts: 5,589 Member
    Options
    I don't know about "noob", but I am willing to adopt a "newbie" or two.
    Hi, I'm sin/sam/lilly. Pick one, I don't care which. I am tons of fun and love to talk. If you are feeling you can't do something, tell me and I will find a way.. I WILL FIND A WAY to get you motivated again and help you get your butt back on track :)
  • fotofreak01
    fotofreak01 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Are there any mentors that work a midnight shift job? I am a police dispatcher and find it's hard to find anyone with the same messed up schedule as myself..lol. TIA!
  • murphyocean
    murphyocean Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I would like to be adopted. :) Although I have trained hard in the gym in the past, as well as been an athlete for most of my life...I have never counted calories. After being in graduate school, my body started changing due to the stress and restricted time to workout. Nonetheless, I have made the commitment towards changing things for the better in all aspects of my life, which includes my nutrition and exercise plans. I believe having a good mentor who knows their stuff in regards to exercise and nutrition, as well as be able to provide motivational support on occasion, would be AWESOME! For instance, there were a couple of times in the last several days, in which I just started MFP, where I thought I was going to starve! :0! I didn't by the way...
This discussion has been closed.