Low carbs but want to feel full...

Options
can anybody help recommend me something I can substitute for bread/pasta/rice etc... That will still satisfy my hunger. My job is very slow and I don't get chance to do much exercise and be active during the day but I always have a huge appetite at meals. Anything that can help me stay fuller for longer and I can eat less of and still feel full?
Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• eatsyork
    eatsyork Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Fat and protein will make you full. Almost everyone who eats low carb has their appetite go way down naturally causing them to eat less. If you need the bulk for some reason you can eat a huge green salad for pretty few grams of carbs. If you can handle shirataki noodles you can eat a whole bag of those for very few carbs as well. Also look up cauliflower rice. After the first couple weeks most people lose the craving for bread/pasta/rice.
  • ar9179
    ar9179 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Most low carb plans are high fat/moderate protein. If you aren't following a plan with a guide, I'd suggest looking into that for better success.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,966 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    As the others have suggested. Fat. Eat more fat. It works with your other macros to better satiate you.

Fatty dips, fatty sauces, butter, animal fats, olive oil, avocados, cheese, cream, sour cream, cream cheese, nuts: all fat dense foods. Find ways to add these into your dishes more often. And google "fat bombs." These are small fat/calorie dense treats to help boost your fat intake.

I seriously add sour cream and butter or bacon fat to all my veggies. Never get tired of it.

Fat is your friend.
    Check out some low-carb recipe sites for ideas of how to do this.

These are a good start:
    http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/recipes.html
    http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/

Some people use cauliflower as a sub for things like potatoes and rice in dishes. Some use spiralizers to make noodles out of zucchini or other veggies in place of noodles. And then there are the shirataki noodles as mentioned above.

You have to get creative, but it's doable. Hopefully you'll find ideas on the recipe sites.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    If you are doing low carb, I'd agree with the advice to join a group and get guidance from people who are experienced.

For me, I find I am more satisfied eating a good quantity of veggies instead of bread/rice (or with smaller servings of starchy carbs, as I'm fan of potatoes and sweet potatoes, especially). I pack a Tupperware container with cooked broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots, for example, plus my meat. The carrots can sub for the starchy carb. Or I have a big salad with protein. I tend to find that satiating. I also agree that including some fat makes a difference. I usually have meat with some fat (salmon, chicken with skin, lamb, lately pork shoulder, although that's higher cal), but also cook the veggies in a little fat and would certainly add some cheese or olive oil in a dressing to the salad or maybe some nuts or avocado.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,966 Member
    Options
    OP, you might want to check out the Low Carber Daily Forum in Groups.

It's pretty active.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    more veggies
  • ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I eat LCHF and just don't get that "full" feeling anymore. I also rarely get a hungry feeling. I just feel satiated. It takes some getting used to.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    My dinners are huge, low calorie, and low carb. Zucchini, squash, ground turkey (6 oz), onion, garlic, tomato, mushroom, spinach. Usually all comes out to about 400 calories. I ate two hours ago and am still full. Double the veg.
  • jilly_bean2015
    jilly_bean2015 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Protein protein protein. I do protein shake in morning. Protein in lunch. Protein in snack and dinner. It helps you feel full then i full in with veggies. Keep snacking so you dont get the starving feeling.
  • krhn
    krhn Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Like everyone said - high protein is key to feeling satisfied - even on the side of sickly!

If you get cravings easily, drink 2/3 servings of a protein shake (50-75g powder) + 400-600ml skimmed milk - guarantee anyone doing this will either give up half way or will not feel hungry for at least 3 hours!
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    protein and fat...both work to keep you much fuller than pasta ever could. Chicken, greek yogurt, peanut butter, eggs, avocado, etc.
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    If buying separate food and eating separate from my family wasn't a problem and a hassle, I'd still be doing Keto. I did it for 2 weeks and I didn't miss carbs at all! I just love meat and vegetables sooo much that it didn't really bother me and I was full from each meal. :smile: Low carb, high fat is pretty satisfying!
  • krhn
    krhn Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    If buying separate food and eating separate from my family wasn't a problem and a hassle, I'd still be doing Keto. I did it for 2 weeks and I didn't miss carbs at all! I just love meat and vegetables sooo much that it didn't really bother me and I was full from each meal. :smile: Low carb, high fat is pretty satisfying!

Never actually done it myself - am I correct in assuming that you are fairly low in energy (mentally that is) when you do everyday things?

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    When you lower carbs, you add fat or protein. Eat butter, whole fat cheese, and so on.
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Full fat yogurt with fresh berries, Qia cereal. Full all day. Keep drinking water!
  • JenniDaisy
    JenniDaisy Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Just my two cents, but I low carbed for a few weeks and I never felt satisfied, I was constantly ravenously hungry. Now I've added back in moderate carbs, 40% of my calories come from carbs, I feel great.
  • elscee
    elscee Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone so far for all your suggestions! :) im not very active at all though, so was wondering if increasing fats/proteins would still make me able to lose weight? I try and do a few crunches every evening and walk to uni a couple of times a week but most of the time im sat down working hardly burning any energy off.
  • paterinvictus
    paterinvictus Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    ...Fatty dips, fatty sauces, butter, animal fats, olive oil, avocados, cheese, cream, sour cream, cream cheese...

Fat is your friend.

bad bad bad.
    Just destroying your arteries.

Stick to doubling your veggies.

• AmbitiousButRubbish
    Options
    It works for me but might not for everyone. I have a protein shake in water and low sugar oatmeal with water for breakfast. I add coffee with some creamer. Then for lunch I have a sandwich, banana, yogurt and 2 clementines with another cup of coffee and some creamer. That is about 1100 calories give or take and leaves me 800ish calories for dinner. I feel plenty full.