Starting the 5:2 diet

Options
I read the book by Dr Michael Mosley "The Fast Diet" and watched his interview with Dr Mercola. I felt compelled to give it a go as I won't be exercising for a month due to the fact I was operated on yesterday. I had my last meal and finished it on Sunday at 8pm then had my next meal on Tuesday 12pm and another finishing at 8pm ready for my operation the following day. On the Wednesday after I was able to eat I had another meal and finished by 8pm. This morning I've had a lovely cooked breakfast and ordered a meal for lunch time. My fast consists of green tea in the morning and about 3 litres of water. I have an under active thyroid and carry weight in my lower body with cellulite too. I feel my metabolism is always sluggish and I'm nearing my 50th birthday which also goes against you when dieting. Another reason for choosing this diet is because dementia and Parkinson's is in my family. I would be extremely interested to hear people's stories of fasting diets on this forum.

Replies

• bunnywestley81
    bunnywestley81 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I did do 5:2 last year. Was quite successful. Ate reasonably 5 days and fasted for 2...sometimes I had snacks in the day (fruit or veg sticks), sometimes I saved all the cals for dinner (500cal on fast day)

Just depends on your will power not to go mental when you do get to eat and stick within the 500 cals.

I sort of do 5 fast and 2 mental now. Still working. Averages at 1400 cals a day.

I'm a bad loser :blush: I do well for a while...plateau for a bit and then lose interest!
  • AbbieBeckett
    AbbieBeckett Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Be prepared for lots of people on the forums telling you that you don't need to follow a 5:2 diet, as long as you look at CICO each day you'll lose weight with a deficit etc etc. Which I, myself believe too, so I'm not slating that or their opinion. However EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT and just because you're utilising mfp in a different way to someone else doesn't mean you're in the wrong. I believe that if you will find it easier to follow an intermittent fasting diet in the long run and if it works for you then good for you! It's proven to help people to lose weight and there are plenty of success stories. Good luck! xx
  • Jonealex63
    Jonealex63 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Haven't done it but interested in hearing your experiences! I have looked into it before but never started. I had a client when I worked at Jenny Craig that did it and she loved it and was able to lose weight when she stuck to it (she took a lot of fun trips and would not have the 2 fast days). Anyway good luck!!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    You know you are supposed to be eating 500 cals on your fast days?

Have you found the two 5:2 groups on here....

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/100058-5-2-fasting

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/8628-5-2-diet
  • mowbry
    mowbry Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Thank you sijomial, I shall join those groups as I couldn't find them. On the 500 cals on fast days, I'm not going to do that as it makes me want to eat. I have researched it and I like the "eat stop eat" method. As I won't be exercising then I don't feel I will need to have those calories. Thank you for the links.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I do weekly deficit, regular calorie split, 5:2, every other day diet (one of the original research sources for 5:2), and occasional fast days every once in a while - depending on what I feel like doing. In general, you eat 500 calories on your fast days and maintenance calories on your nonfast days.

It's perfectly acceptable to replace 500 calorie fast days with water/tea fasts. I occasionally do when I feel like total abstinence from food for the day is easier than consuming 1 meal.

You can consume your 500 calorie meal at any time: breakfast, lunch or dinner. You could also split it into 3 tiny meals, which is not recommended because it won't satisfy you. Personally I do a 200/300 split with volume foods for lunch and dinner like salads and soups, or one big meal at lunch.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    mowbry wrote: »
    Thank you sijomial, I shall join those groups as I couldn't find them. On the 500 cals on fast days, I'm not going to do that as it makes me want to eat. I have researched it and I like the "eat stop eat" method. As I won't be exercising then I don't feel I will need to have those calories. Thank you for the links.

You're welcome. A few fellow 5:2'ers on my FL save their calories for one evening meal but I find two small meals works best for me (lunch & dinner). Personal preference and fitting it into your lifestyle are often overlooked in term of adherence to a calorie goal. I've actually gone the other way and have about 650 - 700 (approx quarter of my TDEE) rather than the usual 600 allowance for men.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Well i suppose if you can pull off not eating for that long then good for you. I'm a fan of the 5:2 system, but i think the part about having 500 cals is important. If you want to do an occasional 24 fast that seemed acceptable but I think doing the 2 days as complete fasts is a bit excessive. Good luck
  • amusedmonkey
    edited February 2015
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    Well i suppose if you can pull off not eating for that long then good for you. I'm a fan of the 5:2 system, but i think the part about having 500 cals is important. If you want to do an occasional 24 fast that seemed acceptable but I think doing the 2 days as complete fasts is a bit excessive. Good luck

It's actually not important to eat 500 calories on fast days. The original research investigated full abstinence from food every other day (not just 2 days a week), but then was tweaked later for adherence reasons. People were dropping out of the studies due to hunger and to social life complications. After a process of trial and error, they arrived at the conclusion that 25% (roughly 500 calories for a woman and 600 for a man) of maintenance calories is the value that balances adherence and weight loss the best.
  • mowbry
    Options
    I thought I would choose a Monday and a Wednesday as other days I either work late at work, meet friends for a girly catch up on Thursdays and leave the weekends for cooking normal meals with my family. At the end of the day, it's good to try new diets to find the one that suits you.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    There is evidence that fasting is beneficial. Our ancestors fasted regularly simply because food was not always available.

I would suggest you fast once a day for eight hours and build from there. Stick with one day and extend it to 12 hours and then more. If that is working for you, add another day.

Failure is often a result of being too ambitious at first and unable to maintain.
  • Jagerin
    Jagerin Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it for almost 2 months now.

I premake my fast day meals the day before. Usually a huge bowl of carrots, celery, cucumbers, 1 square of ginger dark chocolate, 1 oz of pretzels, and a little bit of ranch dip. Sometimes I go a little over 500, but I stay below 600. I eat on that through the day.

I find fasting days to go by more easily for me if I have something to do that day. I tend to go to house cleaning to keep me busy. If I'm just sitting around, I'm more likely to just start eating. So I pick a room of the house and clean it from ceiling to floor. My house has never been cleaner since I started IF.
  • LuckyMe2017
    LuckyMe2017 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I am not exactly doing the 5:2 diet but I cut back to 1200 calories twice a week. If my weightloss stalls, I cut back to 500-600 2 days and also eat within a 6 hour window. The other 5 days, I eat 1500 calories as of last week. Before then I was on 1600. I have been able to lose 2lb per week steadily doing this and walking 10 m per week. I can't speak to the health benefits yet. Good luck
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    You said you just had an operation. Have you been cleared to go on this diet by your doctors?

I'm asking because the body needs food to heal after surgery.
  • MelissaCV
    MelissaCV Posts: 24 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I'm doing the 5:2 as I have found it's what has worked for me in the past and I actually feel better when I am on it and am very interested in reaping the additional health benefits from this way of eating. I read Dr. Mosley's book and also Emma Thornton's book (Eat, Drink and Still Shrink). In fact, I'm fasting today! Good luck!
  • mowbry
    Options
    Luckily my surgeon is Asian and practices fasting for her religion. As I not fasting till next Monday she has said it will be ok but if I feel light headed then I must stop. She said to listen to my body and I will know. She said exercise common sense and that she has practised this since she was six years old.
  • lalepepper
    lalepepper Posts: 447 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I don't do the 5:2 fast, but I do intermittent feeding on a daily basis with a 18/6 schedule and have been for a little over a year. I've found that this eating style more closely supports my natural hunger signals. When I first started trying to lose weight I bought in to the idea that I had to begin eating more often, which led to me eating when I wasn't even hungry, which resulted in calorie overages almost daily. I do have to be careful with it and ensure that I use my eating window fully and have at least two full meals and some solid snacks due to my history of binge eating.

Fasting is an old and well-studied human practice, but it seems peoples' attitude towards it differs depending on whether you do it for religious beliefs vs. weight loss. As a result, I'm careful how I discuss my weight loss with others (being down 85 lbs people ask almost daily) because people jump to conclusions. What's important to remember is that regardless of the method you use to reach your goals, the ultimate factor at play is tracking/maintaining a caloric deficit. This eating style simply makes it more feasible and maintainable for some. If you find it's not working for you, you can look in to other approaches. You're most likely to be successful with something that doesn't ask you to drastically change your lifestyle. I always stress the individuality and importance of flexibility with weight loss. For me, I will likely increase my eating window a bit once I am ready to maintain and add an extra meal. IF takes adjustment, but most people who try it and like it find that within a week or two its routine. I don't start feeling hungry until I am already in my eating window. I also usually work out in a fasted state (I am fairly sensitive to nausea when working out on a full stomach) and have only had difficulty when on 80+ minute bike rides, when you'd be needing a boost anyway. I'm not super strict and if I am hungry outside of my eating window I will eat, as long as I ensure that I log it. I've actually found my energy levels remain more stable over the day, and I don't get the mid-morning and mid-afternoon sluggishness I used to. I was able to break my caffeine addiction as well due to having more stable energy levels. Lastly, my cravings are basically gone. I no longer crave the pretzels, cookies, cheese, and other random nonsense I used to binge on, and I struggled with that for many, many years.

You can be successful with IF if it's the right fit for you. If it's not, it doesn't make you a failure or special - you can move on to something else that might work better. If you want your loss to stick, you need to pin down the habits you can maintain long-term. Good luck!

• Jules190179
    Jules190179 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have been doing 5:2 for about 5 weeks now, and I have consistently lost about 1lb when doing it what I think is correctly. The only question I have is this... MFP tells me that maintenance calories for me are 1920 (huge!!), whereas every other website I have been on tells me around 1600, which is what I have been doing. I am worried to eat as much as 1920 on non fast days, but would I lose more if I eat more? I am currently 161lb, so a lot to lose. I would ideally like to lose 2lb per week. Do I eat all those cals or not?
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I do eat stop eat. Similar but the idea is to not eat for 24 hours. 5:2 seems to allow a bit of eating (500 calories) so not really fasting IMO.

Fasting is just a way of creating a caloric deficit. You'll succeed as long as you don't blow the deficit by overeating on other days.
  • amusedmonkey
    Options
    I do eat stop eat. Similar but the idea is to not eat for 24 hours. 5:2 seems to allow a bit of eating (500 calories) so not really fasting IMO.

Fasting is just a way of creating a caloric deficit. You'll succeed as long as you don't blow the deficit by overeating on other days.

5:2 could be a true fast, if the person eats their calories for dinner (which results in a 24 hour fast), so they're quite similar.