Eating clean!

Options
I don't know about you but this is the hardest part to change! I love eating out. I need to be accountable for what goes in my body! Anyone feel the same?

Replies

• sammieexjean
    sammieexjean Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    That's the only reason I haven't seen change!!! Been going to the gym for 4 months with about two inches lost but no pounds. And nothing fits better, I know I have to change my eating. Eat out at least 3 times a week....
  • mttewes
    mttewes Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    It can feel overwhelming to change habits. Depending on your situation, it might be easier to focus on making one small change. Consider something like:
    1. eliminating soft drinks
    2. add 1 more piece of fruit to daily intake
    3. pack / bring your lunch 2 more days per week
    4. Eat at least 3 food groups per meal
    5. Eat at a restaurant 1 less time per week.

Focus on making one small change until it sticks, then move on to another change. Hope that helps! Feel free to add me if you'd like additional support, motivation or just someone to bounce ideas off of. Best of luck!
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    You don't need to eat clean to lose weigh. It's calories in calories out.

Moderation is best.

That said eating out makes it harder to count calories - lots of places estimate calories and an extra splash of oil can add 100 cals.

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I eat in restaurants all the time. It is not about eating "clean" , it is about being in a calorie deficit. You can eat whatever you want with in reason but stay in a deficit. Count your calories and add a little exercise. In other words, bank your calories.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Then don't do it.

you do not need to eat "clean" to lose weight, all you need is a calorie deficit.

There are no good or bad foods, there is just food that your body utilizes for energy. What matters is your overall diet and that you hit your calorie/macro/micro targets.

Set MFP to one pound per week loss.
    get a food scale
    weight/log/measure everything you eat
    realize that you can incorporate ice cream, restaurant food, cookies, etc into your diet.
    repeat until you get desired results.

I regularly eat what I guess people would call "un clean" foods and have no issues.

weight loss is not hard...calories in vs calories out
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    You don't need to eat clean to lose weigh. It's calories in calories out.

Moderation is best.

That said eating out makes it harder to count calories - lots of places estimate calories and an extra splash of oil can add 100 cals.

^^This.
    Cooking from scratch allows you to control what is put into your food if you stay away from overly processed, packaged foods. Convenience foods and restaurant foods have a lot of added sodium, sugar, preservatives and other things. But weight lost is about eating less calories than you burn, so either way, keeping your food intake calories at a deficit will result in weight loss.

• Porcelaine22
    Porcelaine22 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I appreciate what everyone is saying with there being no need to eat clean as long as you have a calorie deficit but from someone who finds it easier to clean up her eating than keep eating the 'bad stuff in moderation' I have found great success in using the likes of Pinterest as platforms to discover recipes and ideas to make clean food more interesting. I now regularly eat clean and fairly plain foods, however I create flavour filled dressings, tapenades, tzatzikis and houmous etc to make everything more interesting.

And its also about finding substitutes and training yourself to enjoy them. I used to despise green tea and love english tea with milk, but at 20 calories per average cup I couldnt really afford to drink my usual 6 a day. I now LOVE green tea and have gone completely off normal milky tea. The same is to be said for replacing white for wholemeal.

I also find personally that eating cleaner makes me feel better which makes it easier to stick too. Its all fine and well to eat white bread and heaps of cheddar if its within your calorie deficit but if it gives you discomfort then its not so worth it.

Everyone is slightly different, find what works for you.

PM me if you want any help :)
  • Porcelaine22
    Options
    Also, clean eating can make an impact on your health overall more so than just a calorie deficit and still eating anything and everything whatever its ingredients say.....
  • Porcelaine22
    Options
    mttewes wrote: »
    It can feel overwhelming to change habits. Depending on your situation, it might be easier to focus on making one small change. Consider something like:
    1. eliminating soft drinks
    2. add 1 more piece of fruit to daily intake
    3. pack / bring your lunch 2 more days per week
    4. Eat at least 3 food groups per meal
    5. Eat at a restaurant 1 less time per week.

Focus on making one small change until it sticks, then move on to another change. Hope that helps! Feel free to add me if you'd like additional support, motivation or just someone to bounce ideas off of. Best of luck!

You have got this spot on. Sooner or later you forget missing things and things like soft drinks have an ability to taste the nasty stuff in it and it kinda puts me off! ha!
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Also, clean eating can make an impact on your health overall more so than just a calorie deficit and still eating anything and everything whatever its ingredients say.....

No one is suggesting eating anything and everything.

Moderation.

Do try to understand other posts. It doesn't have to be all or nothing. :noway:
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I appreciate what everyone is saying with there being no need to eat clean as long as you have a calorie deficit but from someone who finds it easier to clean up her eating than keep eating the 'bad stuff in moderation' I have found great success in using the likes of Pinterest as platforms to discover recipes and ideas to make clean food more interesting. I now regularly eat clean and fairly plain foods, however I create flavour filled dressings, tapenades, tzatzikis and houmous etc to make everything more interesting.

And its also about finding substitutes and training yourself to enjoy them . I used to despise green tea and love english tea with milk, but at 20 calories per average cup I couldnt really afford to drink my usual 6 a day. I now LOVE green tea and have gone completely off normal milky tea. The same is to be said for replacing white for wholemeal.

I also find personally that eating cleaner makes me feel better which makes it easier to stick too. Its all fine and well to eat white bread and heaps of cheddar if its within your calorie deficit but if it gives you discomfort then its not so worth it.

Everyone is slightly different, find what works for you.

PM me if you want any help :)
    LOL.....I don't like cauliflower I WILL NOT train myself to like that crap!!!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

no one is saying "eat everything and everything" ..what we are saying is that a balanced approach that does not restrict foods, and moralize them as "good" or "bad" is an approach that is a lot easier to maintain in the long run, then saying this is "bad" and hence I am not going to eat it.

hit your calorie/micro/macro targets and enjoy the foods you like...that way you do not have to stress about eating out at a restaurant because it is not "clean"