Is it ok to skip lunch?

Options
I just really need to lose weight.

Replies

• MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Not if it means you're not getting enough calories/nutrients in your day. Per the ticker on your profile, you have 10 pound to lose and it's fairly common for that to take a little time. Set your goal to 1/2 a pound per week and try to get as close to the daily calorie goal as possible. Get some exercise in and eat back about half of the earned calories. And above all, be patient.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    As long as you meet your calorie goals with your other meals/snacks, It's fine.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    You can eat your calories at any time of the day you like but if "skipping lunch" means not eating those calories and therefore under-eating, then no.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Sure. As long as you are getting reasonable calories/nutrients and you feel good, eat whenever you want.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    It's okay to skip breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack, any combination of them, or even all four (provided your overall weekly calories are not too low and you do not have an eating disorder or are prone to having one if you are doing the last one). To the body the difference is minimal and near negligible. Don't sweat the details and just eat whenever you want within your budget
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    You can eat your calories at any time of the day you like but if "skipping lunch" means not eating those calories and therefore under-eating, then no.

Skip rope. Not meals.
  • prestigio
    prestigio Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Although I agree with the comments above saying that most importantly you need to hit your calorie / nutrient goal, I'd say skipping lunch might end up in an unhealthy relation with food.
    You could also decrease the amount of calories you eat during your lunch (chicken salad for example, without high calorie dressings).
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,679 Member
    Options
    If you're doing it JUST to lose weight, then no. If you're considering doing it to assist in weight maintenance and it will be part of your ongoing lifestyle, then sure. As long as you're not undereating and meeting your essentials for macros/micros, skipping any meal isn't a dire consequence.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Sure, if you're not hungry at that time. If you're skipping lunch to ingest lower calories during the day, then NO, because when your hunger hits later, you may binge.

Weight loss isn't a race. Lower your daily calorie intake, focus on eating food which keeps you satisfied and energized. You are young, your metabolism is probably very high, don't start messing with it too much. Eat healthier, move more and watch your calorie intakes.

Good luck!
  • jhall260
    jhall260 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Sure, if you can do it then do it. If I were to skip lunch I would be ravenous and likely to overeat later in the day. Just don't under eat. Your body still needs nutrients!
  • Tea_Mistress
    Tea_Mistress Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I do, but only because I eat a satisfying enough breakfast to keep me going
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    I just really need to lose weight.

It's ok to skip lunch if you're eating your required calories the rest of the day; however, if you're doing it to lose weight faster & not eating enough than no.