More protein from nuts

Options
2»

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Yeah nuts aren't all they're cracked up to be on the protein side, especially if you're low on calories. I like cottage cheese, tuna, chicken, ham, eggs...
  • kozinskey
    kozinskey Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I don't use nuts for protein because of the fat content. I rely on cheese sticks, eggs, greek yogurt / skyr, canned fish (sardines, oysters, and tuna are all delicious) and meat. I keep jerky in my desk at work for the hungry times. Protein shakes are also an option but their contents are so poorly regulated in the US that I'm not really comfortable putting that in my body.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Cheese is high in fat too! But so delish. I go for low-fat old cheddar for maximum flavour.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Sheesh veggies have more protein than nuts, I don't know why everyone keeps saying that nuts are a good source of protein.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    blueporker wrote: »
    I'm confused.
    I am trying to increase my protein daily intake.
    I am not a huge nut eater. I was looking at cashews last week
    Should I be mid morning snacking on them. 100g ( too much) is 283 cals 23g of fat and 13.6 g carbs, all that for a 9.1g protein.
    Be grateful for any suggestions that don't involve meal replacement shakes

nuts are very healthy sources of nutrition...and while they do have protein, I would hardly call them a primary source of protein.

Eat poultry, meat, and fish...

Nuts are a nutritional powerhouse though...just because there's not a ton of protein doesn't mean they're not kick *kitten* in the nutritional value department.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Nuts are a good source of fat and calories..
  • 1_meatball
    1_meatball Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I scanned
    100g of cashew nuts is actually 586 calories and 17.7g of protein with 48g of fat. Maybe check which calories calculator you're using?

the pack in MFP
  • 1_meatball
    Options
    Thanks all for your responses
    I need something to snack on at my desk at work.
    Chicken fish etc not a good option for mid morning.
  • MrCoolGrim
    MrCoolGrim Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I like 1/2 cup natural unsalted sun flower seeds and a hand ful of almonds in the morning.
  • 1_meatball
    Options
    Will give that ago, thanks.
    My problem is I'm 50 and only now learning about nutrition.
    Still it's making for a leaner me.