Night Owl Workouts...

Options
deniseg31
deniseg31 Posts: 667 Member
I'm just wondering how many night crawlers we have around here. I usually do the elliptical for 45-60 mins at around 9pm (if I start later I make sure to be done before midnight so I can "complete" my day) because that's the time that everyone is asleep and I won't be interrupted. Once I'm done, I might wash a load of clothes or do dishes or just watch a little bit of TV and end up going to bed around 1:00am. I've heard though that it's not a good idea to work out before going to bed but don't know why have any of you heard of this?

Replies

• TexasNurseMom78
    TexasNurseMom78 Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    I work night shift, so my schedule is always weird. I figure as long as you are doing something, it is better than nothing, no matter what time of day you do it.
  • tmdugger
    tmdugger Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I am a night owl as well. I don't think it is harmful to your system as long as this is your normal rhythm. You are not completely upside down (i.e. night shift going to bed b/w 6 and 8 am) so it's just a guideline of what feels better to you.

I know I cannot work out as intensely in the evening (for me b/w 10pm and 1 am) but my mid-late morning (11 am to 2pm) is supercharged for burning calories. Its all about what feels right for your body and lifestyle. It's better to workout late than not at all. I know I used that excuse for too long and then I'd go a week without exercise.
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I suffer from periodic insomnia, my doctor told me not to work out at least 2 hours before I go to bed. Although, when I do work out in the evenings, I sleep better because I'm worn out! :)
  • sushilicious
    Options
    I sleep whenever my work is done. If that means I end up running at 3am so be it. It's actually quite fun running around the beach near my house when it's dark out, except for that one time I tripped over a couple having... Gotta make sure it's not too dark out next time.
  • peacehawk
    peacehawk Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I have heard that recently, but it seems to me that any movement is good any time. But I am no expert.
  • Brina4888
    Brina4888 Posts: 6
    Options
    I wouldn't think it's bad as long as it isn't causing sleeping problems.
  • PaulaDDN
    PaulaDDN Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I work out 11-12am everyother day and its ok as long as it dont affect your sleep
  • Beachbride07
    Beachbride07 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I sleep whenever my work is done. If that means I end up running at 3am so be it. It's actually quite fun running around the beach near my house when it's dark out, except for that one time I tripped over a couple having... Gotta make sure it's not too dark out next time.

LOL!! That's great!
  • NenaM812
    NenaM812 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I am a MAYJAH night owl! I used to come home and get to running or doing some form of work out right when I got home at 5 after work, but I'd end up procrastinating and not getting started until 7. And then after working out, I have to make dinner, and that could sometimes be at 8 or later! Plus, after a work out, all I want to do is lie down. I also learned that I don't like working out before eating because I'm usually hungry and end up rushing or finishing early so I can get started. A work out is rough as it is, definitely not made easier by having to rush!

So now, as soon as I get home, I get started on dinner while fiance uses our exercise room because he's opposite of me. Then we eat at around 7. I let food settle, and start working out at around 9 for an hour (which will hopefully be increased as time goes on). Then when I come out, I'll do some dishes if I haven't already done them, then I take a shower, have a glass of wine, and am in bed by 11 p.m. or so. I've found that I sleep much better after a work out, as typically I have issues falling asleep.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only night owl =)