Alcohol and dieting

Options
13»

Replies

• lbetancourt
    lbetancourt Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I cut back. and, I NEVER thought I could do that. I am a hop head. Two summers ago I discovered the world of craft beers. Yeah, I put on the pounds. Now I drink crap beer, Select 55, if I want it during the week. Yawn. I will indulge in one pint of sensual craft beer here & there. Those babies can be over 200 calories. Also, my workout schedule is 6 days a week now. I got tired of working out hungover. Not fun.
  • terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I drink probably 2 nights a week, maybe 3 depending on if I go out. The way I look at it for myself is moderation and fitting it into my daily calories. There's no reason I can't find calories for a glass of wine. I've also learned to like vodka with sparkling water and a little lime. I can make several of those fit into a day lol.

I also have a healthy relationship with maintenance days :D

It's not a big mental barrier for me to decide "today is a day where I get to eat a maintenance and enjoy a night out" and go right back to a deficit the next day.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    terar21 wrote: »
    I drink probably 2 nights a week, maybe 3 depending on if I go out. The way I look at it for myself is moderation and fitting it into my daily calories. There's no reason I can't find calories for a glass of wine. I've also learned to like vodka with sparkling water and a little lime. I can make several of those fit into a day lol.

I also have a healthy relationship with maintenance days :D

It's not a big mental barrier for me to decide "today is a day where I get to eat a maintenance and enjoy a night out" and go right back to a deficit the next day.

I love this. This is how it should be. I find myself blaming my one or two (or, last night, three) beers on why I'm not losing weight though. :/ If I didn't drink beer, I probably wouldn't eat any carbs.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Moderate alcohol consumption for most people, assuming they're not alcoholic, can be associated with good health. A drink or two here and there doesn't hurt.

Having said that, I've cut back a *lot* since starting my weight loss program because I have so few calories in my daily limit and I prefer not to waste them on empty calories like alcohol.

I still enjoy my craft beer festivals and tastings, and the occasional dinner out with a glass of wine. I just save my calories for the times when there's something really good to drink, rather than wasting them on the cheap or mediocre stuff. Life's too short to drink watered-down beer.
  • golfbrew_matt
    golfbrew_matt Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I used to drink daily, and was still able to lose weight. However, it often led to temporary setbacks due to binges in eating and drinking and everything that goes with that (hangovers, missed workouts, etc.). I've now cut way back, having a drink 1-2 nights during the week and then having a few on Friday or Saturday nights. As a result, my losses are a lot steadier and I miss fewer workouts so my fitness gains have improved drastically. As with anything, do what works for you, but just wanted to share my example in case it helped anyone.
  • lifeisbueno
    lifeisbueno Posts: 16 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    i go out drinking with my friends 1 or 2 nights a week... it hasn't hindered me too much. i do make sure that i eat well that day and bust out a little extra cardio. i also make sure that i am an "active drunk," stay away from sugary cocktails, and don't just sit at a bar stool all night. i think what kills people is that they drink a few too many and eat a whole bunch of crap- burritos, pizza, chips, candy... i just make sure that the late night food doesn't get out of control. i really think that if you eat at a slight deficit all week that the night out drinking/the whole weekend can spike your calories enough to get you out of the deficit rut (plus i mentally need the break :smile: )
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I drink a half a beer with dinner pretty much every night and then on Fridays I tend to have a Diet Coke and spiced rum. I just need 2.5-3oz to get a good buzz. The other good or bad thing about losing so much weight is that it takes less booze to get going.
  • vchan000
    vchan000 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I didn't really cut back on my alcohol at all, but my drinking can always be described as minimal. I do make sure to record the drinks when I do have them (I'm slowly making the shift from WW to myfitnesspal) and don't worry too much if I go over on my points/calories for the day as a drink or two happens about once a month.

My doctor laughed at me and said alcohol consumption is not a worry when two drinks in a night count as a binge, and a drink two days in a row count as a bender.
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I had a pint after work with a friend. I worked it into my calories. And it was fine. Tomorrow night I'll have a vodka tonic or two at a party along with pizza. Again, I'll work it in. No problem.
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    Thankfully I usually go to the pub for 2-3 ales after work so in total I usually burn 2600+ on those days so can fit them in. 2 nights a week at most unless there is an ale festival on ;)