Walden Farms - Chocolate peanut spread - no calories????

Options
2»

Replies

• AlyssaJoJo
    AlyssaJoJo Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    My friends eat this because they do the IP diet. I find it disgusting.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    Disgusting
    What she said. Why not just eat smaller amounts of actual food products instead of bad tasting chemical alternatives?

• JenNicole11
    JenNicole11 Posts: 1,834 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Walden Farms is all calorie free. The pancake syrup is the best in my opinion. everything else I've tried from them, including salad dressings, etc., tasted pretty bad :neutral_face:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    It's made of cellulose (non-digestible fiber). The plain peanut spread is the worst thing I've ever tasted. It's basically vaguely peanut flavored gel.

eta: it probably does have some calories. They're allowed to round down if it's less than 5 per serving. So if you ate the whole jar (*gag*) it would have some.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Why would I pay to eat something without calories? Water's free.
  • Arliah
    Arliah Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Is there anything natural in there? Oo
  • keithcw_the_first
    keithcw_the_first Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Come on man, those ingredients tho...

So it's a vegetable fiber paste, with a thickener, with a bunch of flavoring agents (but very few of the things that actually provide that flavor). Except for the cocoa powder.

I imagine you could get something similar with like, psyllium husk powder, water and a thickener -- like the xanthan gum they're using.

It's a trap.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    This seems like it would taste atrocious. Luckily there is an alternative... A low cal high protein option is PB2 with chocolate (it's all mixed already in the jar). It's a powder. You measure 2 Tbsp, that's 45 calories, and you mix in about 2 tsp water and mash it together, which basically gives you defatted peanut butter. The flavor and texture are just fine to me. My doctor told me I should add this to the plain yogurt I eat for breakfast in order to get more protein in there (diabetic, must combine protein with all carby foods). So I did that, plus a small amount of honey and a little vanilla extract, and man it was good. You could eat it like that or dip fruit in it. You can make sandwiches with that PB2, or put it with apples or bananas. You can get plain or with chocolate, calories are the same. I have a jar of each.
  • Drdisney
    Drdisney Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I like several of their salad dressings .. the balsamic vinaigrette in particular
  • lindathome
    lindathome Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I've actualy tried this particular dip, and didn't find it terribly offensive. I've had pretty good success with most of their dressings and dips, except dressings that claim to replace creamy type dressings - epic fail. I LOVE the Asian dressing - I use it for dressing and to saute chicken for salads or chicken tacos. Yes it's processed, yes it's chemicalized, yes yada yada yada whole food is better for you blah blah blah - I have no shame in trying and using low calorie processed dressings, flavorings, and foods.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Ummmm....no. I
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    It's sweetened with Splenda.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    I will confess I did try this when I first started, it was absolutely disgusting. Wet dirty cardboard would have been a step up from this.
  • Jaffsa
    Jaffsa Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    This seems like it would taste atrocious. Luckily there is an alternative... A low cal high protein option is PB2 with chocolate (it's all mixed already in the jar). It's a powder. You measure 2 Tbsp, that's 45 calories, and you mix in about 2 tsp water and mash it together, which basically gives you defatted peanut butter. The flavor and texture are just fine to me. My doctor told me I should add this to the plain yogurt I eat for breakfast in order to get more protein in there (diabetic, must combine protein with all carby foods). So I did that, plus a small amount of honey and a little vanilla extract, and man it was good. You could eat it like that or dip fruit in it. You can make sandwiches with that PB2, or put it with apples or bananas. You can get plain or with chocolate, calories are the same. I have a jar of each.

Yes! I love PB2!!!
  • dragonmaster69
    dragonmaster69 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I'd be afraid of sacrificing taste for calories...or lack there of.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »

I love Pb2 in yogurt, but haven't tried the chocolate one yet. Your post pretty much convinced me to give it a go.

• mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Gross! I have never tasted anything from walden farms that didnt taste like nasty crap.
  • peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    lmann72 wrote: »
    Also understand that its full of chemicals - that's why it can be low/no calories. Some people make that decision to compromise whole foods for additions to their diets. No judgement - just think about that when you're eating it.

A lot of what's in there is cellulose, which is all natural, but indigestible to humans - think grass. Cows can digest it but they need to chew it endlessly with their massive teeth and powerful jaws and even then they still need four stomachs to do it. It behaves in humans akin to fiber.

I tried their blue cheese salad dressing. It was utterly vile and I threw it out after one try.