Does everybody run????

Options
2»

Replies

• sociable15
    sociable15 Posts: 98
    Options
    Not running doesn't make you lazy or not as committed. Personally, I'm a runner...but not for weight loss. I run b/c I'm a therapist and it's healthier than drinking (lol). It gives me time to process, pray, and release endorphins.

Lol I'm a social worker and I totally feel you on this one.
  • marj972
    marj972 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I am glad to see that not every MFP user is a runner.
    Thank you so much for taking the time to read my post and replying.
  • therobinator
    therobinator Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    I don't run. I find it boring. I don't never do it, but I do it very seldom. I prefer calisthenics-type work, such as Insanity (from the same people who make P90X)....or my Muay Thai class....or sports......for my cardio work.

It is good exercise, though, don't get me wrong.
  • lbetancourt
    lbetancourt Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I think you should run if you enjoy it. I personally don't run for weight loss... I run cause I enjoy doing it. Nothing like plugging in my earbuds and taking the first step out on the open road.
  • TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Of course, not. You don't need to run. Just find some other cardio work that you can do to increase your endurance and burn calories. :) Whatever you like and will actually do consistently is the exercise that's right for you.

I do run but used to HATE it. I can't emphasize the "hate" part enough. But now I truly enjoy it and my dog loves it, so he guilts me into getting with it.

I run to (1) burn calories so I can eat more and not gain weight, and (2) to increase my bone density/strength. "Striking" exercises do wonders for strengthening bones and for me that's critical because I'm on thyroid meds and gastric reflux meds, both of which studies are showing dramatically increase the risk of osteoporosis and bone fractures. When I feel like NOT running, I think of what my life will be like when I'm 60 or 70 or better (not that far away for me!) with either osteoporosis or a strong tendency toward fractures. THAT gets me going!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    There's a huge amount of "do what you love" about this, in other words choose the cardio you know you enjoy and keep trying new stuff so you keep coming back.

But I'd also argue there's a big side order of "love what you do". Running to a programme may not suit you, but one of these days you might be out in the park, with no sports watch, no iPod and no C25k goal and you just start running. And the wind's in your hair and the sun's in your face. Swans are on the river with their babies. A butterfly lands on a rose bush. And you and your fit, strong legs are powering you through all this beautiful nature like they were designed to do.

Don't give up on running altogether, it might be a beautiful addition to your cardio portfolio. :flowerforyou:
  • JMCade
    JMCade Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I don't run unless someone is chasing me :)

LOL!
  • Aesop101
    Aesop101 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Not me. I'm too heavy. Besides when you walk and you really stretch out your stride it twists the body. So you work the torso. Then you can go further and longer.
  • Tic_Tac_Toe
    Tic_Tac_Toe Posts: 33
    Options
    Girl please! Do what YOU enjoy doing. It is easy to fall off the wagon if you find yourself bored in your workout routine. Just make sure you are pushing your self hard enough.
  • bbbbb33333
    bbbbb33333 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Yes. Running is required
  • momandboys4
    momandboys4 Posts: 21
    Options
    Nope I don't run...... I do my workout dvd's and go to some classes and the treadmill..... NO running for this gal..... I will walk w/ the dog or on my own, I also swim..... I love the dance workout dvd's and zumba, I will bet hands down they are just as good as running :-)