A Nerd/Geek's perspective of my Weight loss journey.

Options
abhisheksengupta
abhisheksengupta Posts: 28 Member
edited February 2015 in Success Stories
Hello everyone,

I am pretty sure this doesn't count as a regular 'success story'. But this is something I wanted to scribble down on MFP for people like me or to be more specific for people like how I used to be till 6-7 months ago. It's a tad bit long, sorry for that :)

So till June '14 I was a typical geek. My life was practically divided into three halves. College, my Laptop screen and the occasional socializing. I never played sports in my life since I was diagnosed with Asthama as a pre-teen. Lays, Coke and Instant Noodles accounted for about 60% of my diet. All of this was the perfect recipe for gaining weight and so I started flabbing up since 13. A prominent belly tire got me the 'pregnant' nickname at school. However, I had a smart and witty personality so my appearance never inhibited me from making friends. Be it some nerd like me or the captain of the football team I had my identity for who I was, a tech enthusiast and a pretty intelligent fatso.

This year (my third year of college) my weight topped at 212-214 (96 Kg) pounds at the age of 20. I was mostly flab, not much muscle underneath. I had significant belly, man boobs, love handles and my waist was at 40-42 inches. My life at hostel was largely sedentary and every time my Asthama kicked in because of a cold I'd have to live on inhalers and expensive medication for a week.
In College, inspite of the fact that I was great with my language, programming and stage skills, my physical appearance always hindered when it came to showcasing them, as a fat, lazy, wobbly guy never makes the strongest impressions. (Especially with women :P).

I realized that the path would probably put me in several health problems in a few years. I wasn't quite appealing to myself physically. So I had reasons, but no motivation. People have their sources, to motivate them to lose weight - rejection, loved ones, demands for a particular sport. I had no none. Plus it was absolutely contradictory to my style of lifestyle. Heck, most computer geeks call fitness enthusiasts as retards and vice-versa.

So I resorted to what geeks do best: Read. My first distinctive step as I remember was Googling 'How to lose weight'. I read several basics from several websites. BMR, TDEE, Fat, Muscle, Calorie values and Burns, and I actually found the mathematics of it all very intriguing. Noting the theoretical 'concepts' (:D), I finally decided to start with the practical process of it all. I soon found that it was much difficult in reality. I had thin calves do running wasn't an option with my weight, it hurt. So I started with long walks. I had a playlist I'd often use when on a long journey. This was the time to use it.

In a week I progressed to short jogs and a measured low calorie diet. It was like maintaining a budget. I used to try the calculators and MFP values and checked how much I'd calories I'd earned myself (or burned overall) each day. After two weeks I decided to join the Gym. I quit all possible junk and sugary foods. Anything I ate was often followed with, where's MFP?

My trainer and my doctor marked my poor cardiovascular health and both roughly estimated that I'd be able to lose 10-12 kgs in six months if I stuck to their guidelines. I challenged myself that I could do better, a LOT better. So I looked up all the types cardio I could do - running NO, swimming - Feebly, Dancing - LOL. Then I came across the stationary cycle at the gym. I was surprised to see that compared to Treadmill and Cross trainer it burnt a lot more calories for the effort. So I struck the goldmine. I remember starting with 5-10 minutes and within a month it was 45 minutes and more. The songs that kept playing in my ear were powerful triggers against the fatigue. I started walking to college and gym (Total of 6 miles a day).

A month later, my scale tipped at 86 kgs. My doctor, trainer and almost everyone I knew were shocked. I had lost half my belly and 4 inches off the waist. I was ecstatic. Moreover my face and skin complexion lightened. This was turning into a game for me now. One of those video games where every day I'd give myself points for the duration and deficit I made in that day. I started region specific (I regret that) strength training, especially on my calves and voila I could run. Run at 6-7 kmph and slowly even more. I started doing HIIT too.

I became so nerdily obsessed that I actually started making projections and graphs based on deficits and how much I'd weigh next week, next month and three months later. I read up more and watched videos. And it was even more fascinating to find myself follow up through those goals. By October end I pegged at 77 Kgs. My diet had kept me from losing excessive muscle. So I was in the frame of 'a slightly overweight' guy. Almost everyone I knew refused to recognized the change in me. Earlier I'd avoid climbing a flight of stairs, now I was sprinting around.

The speedy weight loss and transformation did come parceled with side effects. I was tending to a slight skinny fat, also I was on a 1300-1500 calories diet which might have hurt my physical strength and general metabolism. My exams were nearing and I found it the perfect time to take a break and let go. I bumped up my calorie intake by 300-400 healthy calories and just made sure I walked for half an hour a day. I was skeptical how much I'd gain back.
To my surprise, in the next two months of exams and holidays, I dropped another 5 Kgs and 3 inches off my waist. The skinny fat appearance had lowered and I was actually feeling physically stronger and looked lean in any clothing. The cycling had left me with toned thigh muscles that meant I was getting faster with the less weight I was carrying. I once played football with my mates during the holidays, who were (safe to say) dumbfounded by my sprint speeds. It was faster than the average players, who were playing football for years.

At 71 Kgs (156 lbs, 56 lbs lost), 32 waist. I peaked at my weight lost and I became an motivation (and guide) to friends and family who continued getting impressed. I had (This is insane!, OMGs! Are you the same guy?! You are turning hot! thrown at me each day). My gym even offered me to pose for a before-after shoot for their ADs. :D. The Doctor called me a miracle case as my Asthama symptoms had gone down drastically.

But I wasn't quite done, I had that bit of belly and at roughly 20% BF there was and is and lot more room to get better. I realized my excess cardio mistakes and started lifting (SL 5x5) since month at a slight bulk over my TDEE.
Yesterday I checked the scales and BF after a month and surprisingly, I gained two pounds and lost 3% body fat. My strength has gone up several fold in a month. My arms and chest have gotten more muscular and my mini belly (that refuses to go) is on its last legs against weight training. :P

I continue to be that same old person, just an evolution as a stronger and fitter one. Every new person I meet looks and receives me way more differently. I owe a lot to MFP, the posts by everyone here. Also to the people who are starting out and were like me, who can't shut down D2, or think life is doesn't require physical activity as we humans would so soon grow out of our bodies and transcend into everlasting computers, trust me, this is one dimension, one real life game you'd enjoy playing, just get the hang of it. You can make time for everything in life. Plus its fun saying "Race me?" to anyone who once asked you to 'Get a life, blob' :smiley:

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Awesome way to go after it!
  • applcorp
    applcorp Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Nerds unite! I wish more would be as health-conscious - I'd like to see all the nerds and geeks live long, healthy, happy lives. Good on you for getting healthy!
  • cherys
    cherys Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    great story - you have done so well. Keep at it!
  • subversive99
    subversive99 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Awesome dude, and I can totally relate. I am in the early stages of the same journey from a higher starting point, but have been approaching it in much the same analytic way you did. Glad to hear you figured it out at a much younger age than I did.

PS: I have graphs, charts, and spreadsheets too. Love them!
  • abhisheksengupta
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Here's my before-after.

The before pic was taken while I was exhausted (and tanned) during a college trek. Seemed fitting.
    I'll post a shirtless one once I get a six pack out :D

b0ushL0.jpg

8zcM6OT.jpg
  • Csauskojus
    Csauskojus Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Awesome story! Thanks for sharing!
  • MisterZ33
    MisterZ33 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Well done, hero!
  • Sercee
    Sercee Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    You're amazing! Nerd Power rocks!
  • GilBrennan
    Options
    holy wall of text. what's the tl;dr?
  • subversive99
    subversive99 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    GilBrennan wrote: »

Dude kept spreadsheets, lost weight.

• abhisheksengupta
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Thank you everyone.
    GilBrennan wrote: »

The wall has a sign on the first line that says its long. You scrolled to find out mate. :)
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Really incredible and inspiring job, you look like a happy, relaxed, confident person! So great that you started your weightloss so young (I was over 48 yrs old!). Enjoy life!!!
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Great job, great read!
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    You look amazing!

Your post reminded my of my husband. He lost 100 lbs before we met. I was cleaning out our computer files and I found all these spreadsheets with graphs and pivot tables documenting his weight loss. It was the nerdiest thing I ever saw. lol
  • cherys
    cherys Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    You look so handsome and happy. You really don't look nerdy at all.
  • Zombieinkpot
    Zombieinkpot Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    You look fantastic! Congratulations on your transformation. I find the analytical approach works for me as well. It is fun planning out what I can spend my calories on!
  • abhisheksengupta
    Options
    You look amazing!

Your post reminded my of my husband. He lost 100 lbs before we met. I was cleaning out our computer files and I found all these spreadsheets with graphs and pivot tables documenting his weight loss. It was the nerdiest thing I ever saw. lol

Haha well not everyone is open about this kind of approach. :smiley:

• penneysfit
    penneysfit Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Amazing job! You're adorable! Nerds rule B)
  • sloseph
    sloseph Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    as a fellow geek/nerd i say congratulations, i too am running my way out the big fat hole i managed to did with crap food and no exercise and can totally relate to the whole treating it like a computer game :)

one this really bothers me about your great story though, it's purely me being a pedant but you've put "My life was practically divided into three halves" you can't divide into 3 halves

aside from that massive congratulation you look awesome
  • abhisheksengupta
    edited February 2015
    Options
    sloseph wrote: »
    as a fellow geek/nerd i say congratulations, i too am running my way out the big fat hole i managed to did with crap food and no exercise and can totally relate to the whole treating it like a computer game :)

one this really bothers me about your great story though, it's purely me being a pedant but you've put "My life was practically divided into three halves" you can't divide into 3 halves

aside from that massive congratulation you look awesome

Haha. Three halves often refer to three pieces (in figure of speech).

But mathematically speaking three parts* , my bad :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!