How do you sneak in your veggies?

Options
As I write this I feel a small sense of shame rushing over me; I don't like most veggies.
It's been that way my entire life. Not being forced to eat them, didn't help much either.
Over the years I've learned to like things like Spinach, Carrots, and Kale (in small portions).
Obviously that's only a very small portion of the veggie variety.
So, how do you veggie?
If you're like me, I end up putting a lot of my veggies in a blender and shooting it down the pipes.
What are your tips? Are you like me and dislike most veggies too? Let me know!

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I pop a bag in the microwave- heat on high for 6 minutes.
    -
    add a little butter- S/P and eat.

So I guess it's less of a sneak and more of a shovel.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    No. I love ALL the veggies. Have you tried different ways of preparing them? Roasted root veggies are wonderful, so is roasted cauliflower and broccoli, with olive oil and garlic.

Smoothies are a good way to go to get them in.
    You could also dice things small and add them to your marinara, or your taco meat. Casseroles are a good way to sneak them in as well.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I do like veggies and don't have a problem eating them, but smoothies are a good way to get them in if you're not a fan.

I put veg in things like spaghetti bolognaise too, or curry, or anything really so my kids get lots of veg too. Luckily they do eat veg anyway...a bit of bribery occasionally helps :)

Do you like fruit?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    rectally.

However, when I actually want to eat them and not sneak them, I cook them. Put them in a bowl, and eat them. Brussels sprouts, oil em a little, salt, pepper, roast in a hot oven. Done.
  • pandaahoy
    pandaahoy Posts: 13 Member
    Options

Do you like fruit?

I love fruit lol it's probably something I could eat all day every day. Literally almost any fruit.
    I think my problem with veggies is depending on the type, can taste very.. grass like, or even dirt like (after washing even). That, and if they aren't prepared right the texture KILLS me. And for most things, I've yet to find a way of preparation that works.

I mean with Kale, I make those into chips and that works. lol
  • kissa714
    kissa714 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    try roasting different veggies with olive oil and salt/pepper and other seasonings. its really tasty!! and smoothies are also a good way to get veggies in.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    I love all the veggies. For my picky son, however, I chop or puree them in the blender. then add to pastas, soups, sauces, meatloaf, etc. It's not the taste that bothers him, it's the texture.
  • shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options
    I like some, but not all veggies. If I feel like I havent had enough in a day, I will drink a V8. 2 or 3 servings of veggies in a can or bottle..
  • pandaahoy
    pandaahoy Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    yayamom3 wrote: »
    I love all the veggies. For my picky son, however, I chop or puree them in the blender. then add to pastas, soups, sauces, meatloaf, etc. It's not the taste that bothers him, it's the texture.

This is actually a pretty good idea. lol

• BBruhn
    BBruhn Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am not a fan of veggies either. I feel like the only human on the planet who will not eat salad. But I do love soup. I make vegetable soup almost every weekend. It's amazing the variety out there. Also, "hide" spinach in a morning smoothie with a banana and you won't even know it's there.
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I drink a low sodium v8 everyday. On the weekends I'll grab the naked berry veggie. It's really good and sweet. I love vegetables though and eat two servings at lunch and dinner. The v8 and naked's help me get a bit more.
  • abuck_13
    abuck_13 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    low sodium, spicy hot V8....love the taste, plus have to keep sodium low.....
  • nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I throw spinach into my shakes
  • alex_marchuk
    Options
    roasted broccoli is addicting, I promise:

1 head of broccoli, break up the trees and place them on a baking sheet
    1 tbs olive oil/ ghee or coconut oil drizzled over broccoli
    1 tsp garlic powder and salt/pepper to taste sprinkled over broccoli
    bake at 400 until crispy ! ENJOY
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    roasted broccoli is addicting, I promise:

1 head of broccoli, break up the trees and place them on a baking sheet
    1 tbs olive oil/ ghee or coconut oil drizzled over broccoli
    1 tsp garlic powder and salt/pepper to taste sprinkled over broccoli
    bake at 400 until crispy ! ENJOY

I totally agree. I feel the same way about roasted cauliflower and roasted brussels sprouts.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I really like veggies, but part of that was learning to cook them properly and just eating them regularly. A couple of ideas, however:

Soups--even lots of people who don't love veggies tend to like them fine as part of a soup. You can also do a blended soup where the overall texture is smooth which might work for people who don't like textures and also mimics a cream coup without the cream.

Pasta--when I make a meat sauce I tend to add lots of veggies, usually cauliflower, zucchini and spinach (as well as onions and garlic) but the possibilities are endless. I think even someone not into veggies might enjoy them that way. This would also work with a chili.

Omelet--I make a veggie omelet with feta every morning, a common combo is spinach, mushrooms, broccoli, but it really depends on what's on hand. You might not mind them that way.

Stir fry/other types of pasta sauce--less subtle, but a common way for people not into veggies to start liking them, I believe, is to include them in smaller pieces as part of an overall meal. I chop up veggies and my meat cook them in olive oil for a pasta sauce or make them into a stir fry.

For preparation, I'm a huge fan of roasting most veggies, especially root veggies, Brussels sprouts, and broccoli/cauliflower.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    rectally.

However, when I actually want to eat them and not sneak them, I cook them. Put them in a bowl, and eat them. Brussels sprouts, oil em a little, salt, pepper, roast in a hot oven. Done.

I sense a film coming on: dbmata - starring in "Veggie Mule."
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Why would I have to "sneak" veggies in? I love them!
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Veggies are delicious. I feel bad for those who don't like them :(
  • bencze1
    bencze1 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I cannot understand how can someone not like vegetables. So I am not of much help. I like them in a lot of different forms, mostly mixed with meat but not only. :)