Pressure cooker cooking?

Options
I just ordered a pressure cooker thinking that it will be a good way to quickly make some nutritious meals. It is an electric model that promises to be easy to use with push buttons and all automatic cycles.

Is there a pressure cooker group on here I should join?

Anyone else use a pressure cooker?

Any tips or favorite recipes?

Replies

• SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    I have one. I use it mostly for quinoa and rice and occasionally chicken, but other than that I'm lost. Following this thread to hopefully get some inspiration
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I love cooking in a pressure cooker, they are the bomb!! LOL

I like this website, I use it frequently,

http://www.hippressurecooking.com/pressure-cooker-recipes/
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Pressure cookers terrify me! :# I don't really know why, I've never used one. I imagine it would be a great way to cook my beans.
  • Jennifer_Lynn_1982
    Jennifer_Lynn_1982 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I love my pressure cooker. I make a mean Eggplant Coconut Curry in mine. But I've also cooked chicken and pork in mine. Makes the meat super tender and seasoned/moist with whatever else you put into the pressure cooker. I'm going to look at the link from QueenLiz though :)
  • queenliz99
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »
    Pressure cookers terrify me! :# I don't really know why, I've never used one. I imagine it would be a great way to cook my beans.

You shouldn't be afraid. Pressure cookers are amazing especially for beans, beets, artichokes and baking potatoes. Cooks everything very fast. I have the stove top model.

• NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Love mine. =)
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    I love cooking in a pressure cooker, they are the bomb!! LOL

I like this website, I use it frequently,

http://www.hippressurecooking.com/pressure-cooker-recipes/

Thanks for the link. I have looked at it briefly but imagine I will be examining for many hours.
  • Tupeloblossom
    Tupeloblossom Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I got one for Christmas and love it. I use it almost daily. Would love to know what others use theirs for and maybe share recipes.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm. Can anyone recommend a brand? I would do anything to cook dried beans faster!
  • beemerphile1
    edited February 2015
    Options

I learned how to cook in a stove top pressure cooker as a child. It is amazing all the meals you can make in 15 minutes that takes hours in the oven.

My wife is frightened by pressure cookers and although we bought a stove top model some time back, she never got comfortable with it. I hope this electric push button model will make her more comfortable. She does most of the cooking although I pitch in as well.

The "Instant Pot Duo-60" works as a crock pot as well as a pressure cooker. It doesn't vent like the stove top ones so there should be little or no noise. It builds pressure and then stays at the desired setting by automatically controlling the heat. At least that is what the manufacturer claims.
  • drosebud
    drosebud Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I have a stainless steel WMF one, which I bought on sale and it is excellent. It is brilliant for cooking chickpeas, which take forever otherwise. I cook large quantities of chana dall and freeze it.
    Thanks for the earlier link, I'll give it a look.
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Love mine. I use electric and the old fashioned ones. They are a great way to make one pot meals for the week. I throw veggies, chicken or beef, a little rice, beans and seasoning in and presto! In about 30 minutes, I have a one bowl wonder! It really tenderizes meat. They are not dangerous. In fact, they won't open while there is still pressure inside.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I've had one for many years. You can cook in it anything you would in a slow cooker or tht you'd long slow cook in a pot in the oven but the added bonus is at least with the stove top models (not used an electric one yet so no idea about them) that you can sear off your meat or onions etc in it then add your other ingredients like veggies/stock or other liquids plus it's fast. You probably need a little more liquid than in the slow cooker though since a lot of liquid seems to come out of the meat and veggies in it. It's great for cheap cuts of meat just like the slow cooker.

It's great for making chilli, curries, stews/casseroles, soups and stocks, cooking veggies, beans, chick peas etc.. sauces, risotto and more.
  • kbhmmom
    kbhmmom Posts: 15 Member
    Options

I'll watch this thread with interest - - I'm terrified of pressure cookers, too, having grown up with a mother who cooked frequently with a pressure cooker, and also watching kitchen disasters happen as the gaskets would fail and spew the contents of the cooker all over, including the ceiling! I do not own a pressure canner due to the same fear. I have seen the new versions of the pressure cookers and have to admit they are intriguing.

• queenliz99
    Options
    kbhmmom wrote: »
    I'll watch this thread with interest - - I'm terrified of pressure cookers, too, having grown up with a mother who cooked frequently with a pressure cooker, and also watching kitchen disasters happen as the gaskets would fail and spew the contents of the cooker all over, including the ceiling! I do not own a pressure canner due to the same fear. I have seen the new versions of the pressure cookers and have to admit they are intriguing.

I have had them all my life and never once has this happened to me. I once, however, forgot I was cooking chili and got called away for an emergency. A cat stuck in a tree emergency. When I got back the cooker was still cooking and the bottom of the pan was bowed out some but it did not spew its contents. The food inside was a burned mess but the cooker still worked. As I understand if you remove the rocker on top of the cooker the food will blow out the hole but I have never tried this nor will I want to:)
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm. Can anyone recommend a brand? I would do anything to cook dried beans faster!

http://us.kuhnrikon.com/us/en/products/energy-efficient-cookware/duromatic/pressure-cookers.html
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

If you're looking for electric, get the Instant Pot (I have the 7-in-1, which has a saute, warm, slow cooker, and yogurt function along with high/low pressure cooking). If stovetop, the top of the line are Kuhn Rikons.

Another good recipe blog, specific to electric pressure cookers:
    http://www.pressurecookingtoday.com/

For those of you afraid of pressure cookers, try an electric one. They're pretty much foolproof. If the pressure builds up too high, they automatically turn off.

I recently switched to the InstantPot and haven't looked back. Gorgeous, perfectly cooked beans every time, no soaking. They pressure cook on high for 10-16 minutes. Actual "cooking" time is longer since it takes some time to come to pressure and the full natural release is 20+ minutes, but it requires absolutely no supervision.

I basically never use my slow cooker anymore. Why would I? Food is faster and better tasting out of the pressure cooker. Stocks turn out beautifully after an hour, too. Stir-less risottos are fantastic, same with mac and cheese. (amazing risotto recipe here: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/09/pressure-cooker-butternut-squash-risotto-sage-brown-butter-quick-easy-recipe.html)

Also, the InstantPot also makes the best, creamiest cheesecake I've ever had. Hip Pressure Cooking also has a recipe for an outstanding apple ricotta cake.

• ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    double post

• mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options

I've had mine for 25 yrs and never had anything go wrong. I bought my mother exactly the same one and she stupidly decided to force the lid off before it had let out the steam so yes she ended up with food on the ceiling from doing something so dumb. Mine is not a really old fashioned one though. It's a stainless steel stove top model.

• beemerphile1
    Options
    mockchoc wrote: »

I've had mine for 25 yrs and never had anything go wrong. I bought my mother exactly the same one and she stupidly decided to force the lid off before it had let out the steam so yes she ended up with food on the ceiling from doing something so dumb. Mine is not a really old fashioned one though. It's a stainless steel stove top model.

I didn't know that was even possible. I have tried to open a pressure cooker that was pressurized and couldn't force it open. You mother must have the arms of Popeye! :)