Bulking - eating

Options
When bulking do you eat "clean" and really record everything like when on a cut, or relax the rules a bit an just hit the numbers? (cals, protein etc)

Terry

Replies

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Calories are king for bulking.
  • beastcompany
    beastcompany Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Whether bulking or cutting your emphasis should be placed on targeting your caloires & macronutrients with consistency.

Not on how "clean" your diet is.
  • DangerousDUCK
    DangerousDUCK Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Whether bulking or cutting your emphasis should be placed on targeting your caloires & macronutrients with consistency.

So that's two in the camp of hit the correct numbers no matter of where the calories come from?

I found psychologically "eating clean" bored me to tears over a relatively short period. I'm not 196lbs and weight training 5 times a week, cycling 20 Miles a day as part of my commute, and focusing ALOT more on my macro nutrients with flexible dieting, my diets far from clean and the pounds are coming off quickly before I go on a bulk cycle.
    p.s < picture is a touch dated I will put some new ones up asap

Terry
  • beastcompany
    beastcompany Posts: 230 Member
    Options

So that's two in the camp of hit the correct numbers no matter of where the calories come from?

Yes and no!

Flexible Dieting is not an excuse to eat like a complete dumbass. IT DOES MATTER WHERE YOUR NUTRITION IS COMING FROM!

Your diet should have it's emphasis placed on whole foods that are both macro & micro nutrient rich that will create a well balanced diet meeting all of your needs.

Flexible Dieting simply means there is no reason to deprive yourself or exclude foods from your diet based on the ideology they are (in their individual context) "unhealthy" for you.

Grabbing a burger from McDonalds or slice of pizza from Pizza Hut, and a daily snack cake or two isn't going to harm you.

However, if you're smashing all your calories from pop-tarts and protein shakes to "meet your macros"...You're doing it wrong.

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    You can't bulk on chicken, rice, and broccoli. You'll be too full before you hit your calorie goal. That's why you can't "eat clean" on a bulk. Eat a pop-tart ice cream sandwich
  • DangerousDUCK
    Options
    You can't bulk on chicken, rice, and broccoli. You'll be too full before you hit your calorie goal. That's why you can't "eat clean" on a bulk. Eat a pop-tart ice cream sandwich

That is a plan ;)

• richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    I still record all my food while bulking to make sure I hit my minimum macros and make sure I get the right amount of calories. I eat very "clean" most days, but that is just because I enjoy eating healthy. I have no problem eating chicken and steak and rice and veggies all day long and easily hit my calorie goal. Eating clean doesn't help your muscle growth though, so enjoy some junk food if you want or if you have trouble getting enough calories.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Get your nutrition in, then fill out the rest with whatever sounds good. Don't sacrifice your health by eating nothing but pop-tarts, but don't sacrifice your bulk by not hitting your calories.
  • DangerousDUCK
    Options
    richln wrote: »
    I still record all my food while bulking to make sure I hit my minimum macros and make sure I get the right amount of calories. I eat very "clean" most days, but that is just because I enjoy eating healthy. I have no problem eating chicken and steak and rice and veggies all day long and easily hit my calorie goal. Eating clean doesn't help your muscle growth though, so enjoy some junk food if you want or if you have trouble getting enough calories.

That is a problem I have faced before as a Vegetarian sometimes it can be difficult hitting the calories and protein numbers required especially if you tend to struggle to put on weight generally, but I gained 10lbs last "Bulk" obviously not all muscle but I learnt alot from it. After I've cut down to 185lbs i'll start a much more informed an hopefully better bulk with more lean mass an less waste.

Terry

• Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    I'm even more strict on a bulk, as there needs to be a constant but small excess to fuel the constant repairing and damaging of the muscle.
    I'm a tri nutter, but I cut right down in my cardio when bulking, it makes it very difficult to work out the right amount of calories to hit, and it impedes muscle regeneration unless you're doing recovery workouts.