Xbox One Kinect for weight loss?

Options
So recently, I bought myself an Xbox One Kinect, as well as Shape Up, and Just Dance.
I began searching for opinions on the internet about using Kinect as an additional method for working out to lose weight.
What I found was rather disappointing; Many seem to think that Kinect is a terrible method of getting into shape and that it requires no effort what so ever to use.
Personally, I've found both of these games to be rather challenging on the cardio aspect (probably because I'm out of shape and just beginning to work out again, but still).
What are your opinions?
Do you think it's possible to lose a decent amount of weight off healthy eating and Kinect games?
Also, if you believe yes, how would you log it under your exercise?

Replies

• pandaahoy
    pandaahoy Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    bumpity >_>
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    When paired with a proper diet, yes - you can see great results.
  • pandaahoy
    Options
    see, that's what I thought too :P It makes logical sense. From what I've read, almost anything that gets your heart rate up (jogging, dancing, aerobics, etc.) could count as a workout.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    pandaahoy wrote: »
    see, that's what I thought too :P It makes logical sense. From what I've read, almost anything that gets your heart rate up (jogging, dancing, aerobics, etc.) could count as a workout.

There's some truth to that, for sure. But weight loss is more about diet than it is exercise. So sitting on the couch is a great way to lose weight if your diet is correct. Alternately, olympic level workouts won't make a different if your diet is out of whack.
  • pandaahoy
    Options
    I agree. That's what I tell my boyfriend all the time. Well, not EXACTLY that, but when he questions why he can't grab a burger at Wendy's and then work out.. I always explain that concept to him lol
  • DaSavedSinner
    DaSavedSinner Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Kinect is awesome for workouts! I use X1 with shape up, Xbox fitness, and Zumba world party anytime I want to sweat that not durning a gym session. They have some intense workouts! I get a more impacting workout from Xbox than the gym because of the fact that I don't have to plan my workout I just follow the game. Add me on X1 Gtag Dardric_Angel, just send me a msg saying MFP and I will add you!
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I agree. That's what I tell my boyfriend all the time.
    Sounds like you're on the right track--losing weight's about diet, and if Kinect's getting your heart rate up, then it's great for improving your heart and burning calories just now. :)

Fitting a Wendy's burger in while losing weight is very possible. If we're talking a SINGLE W/ CHEESE, I usually ask them to remove salty and fatty toppings (mayo, mustard, ketchup, pickles, and their extra slice of cheese). Wish they had a whole wheat bun and can't fathom why they added trans fats to their patties after Dave died. He must be rolling in his grave!

If I want value sides, I go for the ULTIMATE CHICKEN GRILL (similar removals) and ask them to make it a wrap. That frees up some room for the extra carbs the fries and drink bring.
  • pandaahoy
    Options
    lol well I try to just avoid fast food as a whole (outside of subway and wawas), I tend to do better that way lol
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    So recently, I bought myself an Xbox One Kinect, as well as Shape Up, and Just Dance.
    I began searching for opinions on the internet about using Kinect as an additional method for working out to lose weight.
    What I found was rather disappointing; Many seem to think that Kinect is a terrible method of getting into shape and that it requires no effort what so ever to use.
    Personally, I've found both of these games to be rather challenging on the cardio aspect (probably because I'm out of shape and just beginning to work out again, but still).
    What are your opinions?
    Do you think it's possible to lose a decent amount of weight off healthy eating and Kinect games?
    Also, if you believe yes, how would you log it under your exercise?
    They don't know what they are talking about. You know you can get Insanity for the Xbox One (Xbox Fitness).

Anyway, I only recently got an Xbox One, but in 2013 the Xbox 360 Kinect was the main thing I used for workouts. Results:

riiiuk5m7trl.jpg

And then I found out I was pregnant shortly after the last pic....however, I have lost all my pregnancy weight and I am now about 17lbs lighter than that last pic.

• santi99_mx
    Options
    What do you think about Insanity?
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    The problem with most kinect "games" is that you don't reach a very high level of intensity. So while they're not bad for burning a few extra calories, they won't get you into shape. There are a few exceptions like insanity I guess.
  • carmenrosab
    carmenrosab Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Just this past January, I did the Mossa Fight workouts and not only did I lose weight, I could see my body toning up pretty nice (especially my arms and legs). I highly recommend those, I just wish there were more than just two of the fight ones.
  • pandaahoy
    Options
    And then I found out I was pregnant shortly after the last pic....however, I have lost all my pregnancy weight and I am now about 17lbs lighter than that last pic.

wow O: grats! In more ways than one lol

I just wish there were more than just two of the fight ones.
    There are quite a few for Xbox One. I haven't tried the fighting ones. I can say Shape Up is a really fun one. Literally my legs are sore from two days of doing it. But they have mini games, and it's a LOT of fun (:
  • theamazingcassiebunny
    Options
    I second Carmenrosab on the Mossa fight workouts. Their weight training workouts are great as well. Both the hubby & I love all the Mossa stuff (except Groove...couldn't get into that one).
  • beyondmotiv8ted
    beyondmotiv8ted Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    This thread works well for me as I was just looking into getting Zumba for my Wii! Any other Wii suggestions---oh, I have the old system btw
  • pandaahoy
    Options
    This thread works well for me as I was just looking into getting Zumba for my Wii! Any other Wii suggestions---oh, I have the old system btw
    personally I suggest an Xbox one only for the fact that the kinect is a sensor, and not something you have a small board or something you need to hold. However, it's my personal opinion you get what you put into it, like most things. But Zumba seems like fun :)

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options

EA Active 2.0 if you can find it
    I loved it. It was on wii, Xbox 360 and PS3. It sort of reminds me of circuit training.

Golds Gym Cardio Workout (cardio boxing)
  • GPHX_GEEK
    GPHX_GEEK Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have an XBox 360 w/ Kinect and have gotten a lot of use out of it in the fitness department. I used to Dance Central 1,2 & 3 when I first started getting into working out. Now I use Zumba Rush and just got Zumba Core. I am in good enough shape now that doing a full 60min Zumba class doesn't burn me out at all so I use it as a "cardio warmup" before going into whatever routine I am doing that day (from FitnessBlender). Either way, I definitely consider it a workout. Plus it's FUN, which makes it that much more motivating.

P.S. It's important to remember that the calories they say you burn (at least with the Zumba games) is completely inaccurate. I burn around 300cal during a high intensity 60 min class (as opposed to the 1,500cal the screen shows).
  • roxilegend
    roxilegend Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I think it's a completely viable supplement for weight loss - one that is actually fun! Of course making sure you're in a calorie deficit is the most important aspect, but I think you know that already. :) Personally I'd log the exercises under whatever it is you're doing - Just Dance under dancing, Shape Up under aerobics maybe? Haven't played that one so I'm not sure. And remember that you can probably always take MFP's calories burned and half them as they are exaggerated, too.
  • SparkleHorse224
    SparkleHorse224 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    My husband bought me an Xbone to get in shape after I had twins in 2013. I've lost 50 of the 60 lbs I gained while pregnant (still working on the last 10!). I did it by eating right and using MFP to track, and doing the Zumba World Party/some of the free stuff on Xbox. I don't find that Just Dance feels like a workout. It's fun, for sure, and I like to play that with my friends. But for exercise, I do the other stuff.