Protein Shakes

Options
I am thinking about starting to do a protein shake for breakfast since I often skip that meal. Or maybe between lunch & dinner when my stomach is obnoxiously telling me to invade the break room's snack area.

What brand/flavor should I try? I don't want to buy something then find out how disgusting it tastes.

Replies

• gtm124
    gtm124 Posts: 179
    Options
    Everyone will give you a different brand and why. So, you will just have to try some. I use Jarrow's Muscle Optimeal-Chocolate. I use it as both as a meal replacement and a supplement depending upon the number of scoops. For a smoothie I add bananas and fresh strawberries. With skim milk, banana, strawberries, and Jarrow I have a 388 calorie drink that gets me to my next meal.
  • mgm1967
    mgm1967 Posts: 1
    Options
    Try Vega. I drink Vega Sport vanilla a nd I add almond milk delicious. It is no soy gluten free everything good. It has other products too.
  • kristy_estes21
    kristy_estes21 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition is my favorite brand. I've tried the vanilla ice cream flavor and chocolate flavor. I liked both of those.
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I use the EAS whey protein, vanilla flavor. I dump a couple of scoops into a bag of Jamba Juice Razmatazz and blend it up. The reason I use the EAS is that it's low in carbs and tastes decent.
  • AdamATGATT
    AdamATGATT Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Tastes are different. Some people like brand "A", others like brand "B". Some like both. No one can tell you what taste good, because what taste good for one person may not for the next.

I've gone through five different protein powders, and think I've finally found one that works for me. Out of those five, only one of them was something that I absolutely would not buy. Still, reading the reviews for that powder, people would say it tasted wonderful.

You'll just have to do some research, take the plunge, and taste test to find what works for you.

What worked best for me so far? ON 100% Natural Whey - Natural Chocolate. A pretty mellow taste compared to the others, but it's also the only that didn't contain sucralose (which is why I chose it). MGN 100% Pure Whey Isolate was my next favorite, though it was almost too sweet.
  • Quicksilvas
    Quicksilvas Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Costco has Premier Nutrition brand protein shakes. Me and my wife like the chocolate flavor. It tastes great and does not cost a fortune. I believe they are around $24 for a case of 18. They have 160 calories and 30 grams of protein.
  • LaMaMiK77
    LaMaMiK77 Posts: 82
    Options
    yeah i drink the chocolate ones too!!! they taste really good!!
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    So far Ive tried the Optimum nutrition chocolate one.. Not so bad when you put stuff in it.. My favorite meal is:

1 scoop ON powder
    2tbsp PB2 chocolate
    1 cup 1% milk
    1/2 cup strawberries
    1/2 cup banana
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    Protein powder is the way to go, most of the pre-made shakes have to much sugar and are to expensive. I use unflavored protein powder most of the time and make a smoothie with it or else occasionally chocolate and just mix it with milk, most of the other flavors are to sweet for me. It took quite a bit of trial and error to find something that worked for me. I am on a budget and couldn't afford to go buy large containers of protein powder just to find out that I didn't like it. The health food store here sells individual packets of a lot of the protein powders and sells some in bulk (so you can get whatever amount you want to try) if you can do it that way that is what I suggest so that you don't end up with something that you don't like.
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    Whey protein digests very quickly so for something that you intend to hold you over between meals I would suggest a protein blend which will contain whey and casein and/or egg protein; or if you chose a whey only protein mix it with milk. As far as brand goes, take your pick. ON tastes good as does Nitrean by At Large Nutrition (is also a protein blend). The Readt-to-Drink Muscle Milk is also very good, i have never tried the powered.
  • fmktjod
    fmktjod Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Protein powder is the way to go, most of the pre-made shakes have to much sugar and are to expensive. I use unflavored protein powder most of the time and make a smoothie with it or else occasionally chocolate and just mix it with milk, most of the other flavors are to sweet for me. It took quite a bit of trial and error to find something that worked for me. I am on a budget and couldn't afford to go buy large containers of protein powder just to find out that I didn't like it. The health food store here sells individual packets of a lot of the protein powders and sells some in bulk (so you can get whatever amount you want to try) if you can do it that way that is what I suggest so that you don't end up with something that you don't like.

I love the suggestion to get individual packets! This is a great way to try different brands and flavors. I use Cytosport/Muscle Milk - 100% Whey 80% Concentrated & 20% Isolated Vanilla flavor from Costco. It was well priced.

I mix it with
    1/2 C juice
    1/2 C water
    1/2 C ice
    1/2 berries or other frozen fruit
    1/2 frozen banana
    1/2 packet of Emergen-C

I'm going to add milk now too after reading the post from Grglandr.

I like the flavor and usually drink it post AM workout for recovery.

Let us know what you end up with.
  • apfeiff
    apfeiff Posts: 39
    Options
    Thanks for the input. That would be cool if the health stores sell them in individual packets. I didn't want to waste money on something I wouldn't like. I think I will try that first. Thanks for the help!!