How obsessed have you become over this???

Options
fatjon73
fatjon73 Posts: 379 Member
Hello all

This is my second time using MFP, having used it 4 yrs ago to lose 60+ lbs I am back to try lose more, the first time round I logged religiously, but I did not weigh things, I guessed, or did the generics, I saw good gains then and I loved this site, recommend it to everyone, but this time round I have gone mad, I weigh everything, measure liquids, I'm making fruit and protein shakes, I'm weighing myself twice a day and logging everything not only in MFP but I have set up my own spreadsheet,6m00nnvzqrym.png

where I log when I eat and what type of foods I eat, to try to understand my habits in time, I know this is not a quick road, so the more info I have the better I can make decisions for what's best. nerd hat on (I am an engineer, and my mantra is data collection) nerd hat off

It is taking over my life at the moment but I am loving every minute of it, I look forward to the hunger pangs, like a trophy.

I just hope I can keep it going for months at least if not succeed in the life change I am trying to get to for the rest of my time....

Has anyone else found this journey take over this way??? or do I need to see my doctor for some medication to calm me down before I end up in a padded room licking windows....lol

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Nope, I think you are awesome just the way you are. Whatever floats your boat :)
  • jillshadow
    jillshadow Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling. My husband thought I was crazy when I asked for a food scale for valentines day, LOL
  • Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I haven't gotten to the point that I have created spreadsheets (though my inner nerd taps her hat to you) mainly because I really don't have the time to dedicate to it. However I do obsessively measure everything (weighing things twice, double checking entries etc), I do also weigh every morning and track it in a separate application, I also weigh after going to the gym (though I don't track this number). I'm a believer in what ever floats your boat....
  • fatjon73
    Options
    Someone needs to tell me to ditch the spreadsheet and get on the treadmill instead....lol Far too obsessed with tracking and hitting goals, when I could be exercising.....lol
  • duckykissy
    duckykissy Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    In the past I was way too obsessed with this, to the point where I was having anxiety attacks after going like 10-20 grams over on what I was weighing. It honestly got to the point where I was bordering ED tendencies (to be fair MFP wasn't the first place I showed these). I was doing all the stuff you described as well as eating a very unhealthy, very low fat diet (1000-1200 cals and trying to stay under that 1200). I kept that up for about a year and a bit before crashing and eventually gaining back all the weight plus a few kgs.

This time around I'm a lot more relaxed- more forgiving of bigger days and such. I still use my scaled often (food and bathroom). However, without the anxiety issues, with the forgiveness and the "meh, I'll do better" attitude, and with a MUCH healthier diet, I think that this sort of "obsession" weighing foods and such isn't an issue. I think the moment it starts giving you severe anxiety is really the moment you should start analyzing if you're obsessing over it. Until then, this is just data on a screen and time preparing your meals- what's wrong with that?
  • hlvincent15
    hlvincent15 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I would like to be more accurate. I don't yet have food scales but will be getting one soon. Also new scales to weigh myself.
    I'm sort of guessing at the moment, but my biggest problem has been portion size, which i'm getting sorted. I'm loosing the weight with very very very restricted eating. The choice of foods I am eating isn't that wide, and hopefully i'm not starving myself as i'm eating a lot of protein and some good carbs. No sugar, or as little as possible. Low saturated fat, and low GI, as i'm PCOS.
    My body is a little in shock, and my mind is still having to come to terms that I'll need to exercise and eat restricted for the rest of my life, if i'm to be healthy.
  • uptownplum
    uptownplum Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    That is such a serious spreadsheet. While I find your dedication incredibly admirable, it's a bit much IMO.
    fatjon73 wrote: »
    Someone needs to tell me to ditch the spreadsheet and get on the treadmill instead....lol Far too obsessed with tracking and hitting goals, when I could be exercising.....lol

... or doing just about anything else, really. Don't let this consume your days and forget to live. If this is really a lifestyle change, do you forsee yourself keeping up a spreadsheet like this forever?

I don't mean to pick on you, but I am a little concerned. There will be lots of benefits to weight loss that aren't just reflected in that number on the scale, and you'll never find them all if you aren't out there living your life.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10052379/unexpected-results-of-weight-loss/p1
  • Evenstranger
    Evenstranger Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I can't help but laugh - it reminds me of the damage calculator spreadsheets done over at "Elitist Jerks" for World of Warcraft.
  • Missbodyrocker
    Options
    I never log vegetables unless its potatoes or beans. Even if that means I have a gigantic salad or bowl of soup. I have 1400 calories 4 days and 1800 calories 3 days a week. I log everything else religiously. Personally for me the spread sheet is too much. However good luck if it works for you.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Different people are different. If it doesn't affect your relationships, I say you are good.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Engineer to engineer, I totally get it. Spreadsheets are just fun! Some people have mentioned that your not living life if you track this much. But what's the difference between doing this or knitting? It's a hobby for us nerdy folk. As long as the spreadsheet isn't stressing you out or it's not hurting other parts of your life, I don't see the problem.

You know, from a distance, this spreadsheet looks like a Gantt chart! I know it's not though. But it's cute.
  • izerop
    izerop Posts: 69 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Nice spreadsheet! I also have a spreadsheet with goals, etc. When I log, I log seriously. My wife yells at me for weighing everyday too. I love to see results, even if it's minor. Even gains is recorded, those are "results" even though I am trying to lose. I love seeing the correlation between what I eat and my weight changes.
  • subversive99
    subversive99 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I'm fairly obsessive, see my post here about the math of it all, but I haven't gone quite as far as you with the food tracking. I spend maybe 5 minutes a day updating my spreadsheets and then go back to living my life. Whatever floats your boat I would say, but make sure it doesn't get in the way of living life or having good human relationships. Good luck! :smile:
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,259 Member
    Options
    Hello all

This is my second time using MFP, having used it 4 yrs ago to lose 60+ lbs I am back to try lose more, the first time round I logged religiously, but I did not weigh things, I guessed, or did the generics, I saw good gains then and I loved this site, recommend it to everyone, but this time round I have gone mad, I weigh everything, measure liquids, I'm making fruit and protein shakes, I'm weighing myself twice a day and logging everything not only in MFP but I have set up my own spreadsheet,6m00nnvzqrym.png

where I log when I eat and what type of foods I eat, to try to understand my habits in time, I know this is not a quick road, so the more info I have the better I can make decisions for what's best. nerd hat on (I am an engineer, and my mantra is data collection) nerd hat off

It is taking over my life at the moment but I am loving every minute of it, I look forward to the hunger pangs, like a trophy.

I just hope I can keep it going for months at least if not succeed in the life change I am trying to get to for the rest of my time....

Has anyone else found this journey take over this way??? or do I need to see my doctor for some medication to calm me down before I end up in a padded room licking windows....lol

I adore Data Geeks. I'm not one, but I'm married to one. You people are very much realists who want to see the numbers, the trends, the information. You rock :heart:
  • fatjon73
    Options
    Lol thanks all for your concern.....I might be stretching the truth in my obsessivness for the sakes of the post, but its been fun to see the replys.....

I log once or twice a day in MPF, takes me half hour at time at most, depending if I read posts too....my sprad sheet is very simple really. toom me an hour to make, then I have modified it over the weeks bit by bit, adding something else, it does look bad, but it takes me 15 mins a day to add to, or I wait a few days then I just copy from MFP on the cals anyway, so its stored there....I startded weigfhing once a week, but I am a numbers geek, I want ot learn how my body works over a week.

I work nights every Mon to Thu, 9 hrs a night, in a morning when home at 6am I have a couple of hours in the house, where I have to quiet, so I am on the PC doing bits, then before work at night I am up at 5, start at 9 so have an hour or 2 there to wake, shower, train either tredmill, weights or Wii for half hour, get me going, then eat, then wash then wait an hour for work, so I log then too, working nights gives you much more time through the days, its weird, but you use your time much better.....dont know why....so logging an hour a day in the week and training 30 mins hopefully every other day or 3, thats my commitment at the moment, I cook in the house most days anyways, so to weigh my food to track better is easy, its not that obsessive really, its fun, im enjoying it, and trust me I do have a life...
  • fatjon73
    Options
    sorry my keyboard in my man cave is dodgy......
  • Arliah
    Arliah Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I can't help but laugh - it reminds me of the damage calculator spreadsheets done over at "Elitist Jerks" for World of Warcraft.
    HA, I was thinking the same. My ex used to be in that guild (or maybe still is, who knows), and he had these HUGE sheets ... and probably left me because I didn't optimize my healing properly. Lol.
  • jasoncollins79
    jasoncollins79 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Wow you took this to a whole new level. How much time does that spread sheet take you. I would stress too much if I did all of this.
  • Deedee1111111
    Deedee1111111 Posts: 66 Member
    Options

I have a spreadsheet for pretty much everything in my life, so I totally understand. If it's fun, keep at it! If you feel weird about it, or are thinking that you might be starting to be a bit obsessive, take a step back. You know what's best for you!
  • Evenstranger
    Evenstranger Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'm with you, Jason - Everyone has a different approach and finding what works for you is key. I know that if I don't keep it super simple, I'll get distracted, lose focus and skip a day, then two, then weeks. So for now I keep it to two goals - track food, keep under budget. My wife tends to focus more on details, strategies, tricks... I finally told her exactly what I said above. If I don't keep it simple, I'll fail.

There's nothing wrong with keeping spreadsheets - they can be great tools. If any tool works for you, great - use it! If not, the world's most expensive screwdriver won't do much good if the solution calls for a wrench.