Shocked at how low my step count is!

Options
13»

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Segacs you deserve the word "wonderful mentor" next to your username. Thankyou for taking the time to help. Much appreciated :smile:
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Segacs you deserve the word "wonderful mentor" next to your username. Thankyou for taking the tine to help. Much appreciated :smile:

Awww. Thanks!
  • kandell
    kandell Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Desk jobs for the lose....

I usually come in around 1200-2000 steps a day, but I use the pedometer on my phone and I don't always carry it with me while I'm at work (getting water refills, going to the restroom, etc.). It's so tough to get enough activity in when you sit at a desk for 8 hours :/
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    i walk to and from work every day to get my 10,000 steps, otherwise i'd be really low too.
  • nikkit321
    nikkit321 Posts: 1,485 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I walk less than a thousand steps on a work day (another one working from home) so get to the Y for at least an hour. I hit 10,000 steps most days now but have to work at it on my "rest" days to be more active. I agree, it is eye opening. Yes, you know you aren't very active, but looking at the data is surprising.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    I spend way toooo much time sitting down reading the MFP forums lol I blame that! :p:smiley:

Ahahah! So do I!
  • healthybodyhealthylife
    Options
    that's impressively low. Last Saturday, I was home sick from a touch of food poisoning. I still got in 2600 steps, which was my lowest day since I started tracking. You're definitely going to have to work on increasing that number. I can't imagine how little you must get to eat with such an activity level. The good thing is...at least you know now.

Actually, I can eat quite a bit because I exercise a lot. My BMR is about 1450 so on a good day when I work out my TDEE goes well above 2000 calories. I was talking about my non-exercise activity. :)

• segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options

Actually, I can eat quite a bit because I exercise a lot. My BMR is about 1450 so on a good day when I work out my TDEE goes well above 2000 calories. I was talking about my non-exercise activity. :)

That's a very good point, actually, and is one of the reasons why the Fitbit-type trackers can only do so much.

On a typical workday, I'll usually get about 5,000 steps from my commute, just from walking to and from the metro stations. In the summer, if I cycle to work instead of using public transit, I won't get those 5,000 steps in so it will look like I'm a lot less active, when actually I burn a heck of a lot more calories in 30 minutes by cycling.

Steps aren't everything. There are lots of forms of movement.
  • txteachermom
    txteachermom Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    When I started with my Fitbit my step count was extremely low too. I decided that wasn't okay with me, and changed it immediately. I do 5 days a week at least of 10000+. I actually shoot for 15K on days that I don't work late and 20K on days that I do. I am a teacher, and luckily the nature of my job is that I can be constantly up circling my classroom. I set little goals for myself throughout the day - like I try to do 2000 steps per class period (1 hour). So my advice would be to find those little extra minutes in your day when you can improve on what you're doing, and just do it. Slowly work on finding those precious minutes and use them. Good luck!
  • Aviva92
    Options
    that's impressively low. Last Saturday, I was home sick from a touch of food poisoning. I still got in 2600 steps, which was my lowest day since I started tracking. You're definitely going to have to work on increasing that number. I can't imagine how little you must get to eat with such an activity level. The good thing is...at least you know now.

sounds like your step count is kind of irrelevant then.
  • daw0518
    daw0518 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I have similarly low steps, especially on days that I don't have class. Even when I have class & have to walk into campus from a far-away parking lot, I'm lucky if I hit 5,000. Weekends can be under 1,000 if I'm doing school work all day, & I lose calories. :[ Doesn't seem to be affecting my weight loss, but I definitely need to work on getting in some more steps!
  • healthybodyhealthylife
    Options
    When I started with my Fitbit my step count was extremely low too. I decided that wasn't okay with me, and changed it immediately. I do 5 days a week at least of 10000+. I actually shoot for 15K on days that I don't work late and 20K on days that I do. I am a teacher, and luckily the nature of my job is that I can be constantly up circling my classroom. I set little goals for myself throughout the day - like I try to do 2000 steps per class period (1 hour). So my advice would be to find those little extra minutes in your day when you can improve on what you're doing, and just do it. Slowly work on finding those precious minutes and use them. Good luck!

Thanks! :)
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Wait--1000 steps in a WHOLE DAY?

I get that many, or more, when I spend the day sick in bed. I don't see how that few steps is even possible. Do you have your FitBit on all day?

I work from home at a sedentary job and still manage to get around 12,000 steps/day unless I am injured, sick or deliberately resting. My father, who is going to be 73 in a few days, averages around 15,000 steps/day.

I try to walk if I need to run any errands within two miles of where I live. I also walk to the gym unless I need to carry my heavy swim bag.
  • GoPerfectHealth
    GoPerfectHealth Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    If I don't leave the house, I can easily get only 1,000 steps. My husband gets 3,000 going to work and sitting at his desk all day. I agree, it is shocking how little a person can move. I'm all for quitting the sitting!
  • Aviva92
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Wait--1000 steps in a WHOLE DAY?

I get that many, or more, when I spend the day sick in bed. I don't see how that few steps is even possible. Do you have your FitBit on all day?

I work from home at a sedentary job and still manage to get around 12,000 steps/day unless I am injured, sick or deliberately resting. My father, who is going to be 73 in a few days, averages around 15,000 steps/day.

I try to walk if I need to run any errands within two miles of where I live. I also walk to the gym unless I need to carry my heavy swim bag.

to average 12,000 or 15,000 steps a day, you must be deliberately doing something to get that high. it doesn't just happen from sitting around. if someone doesn't deliberately walk to do everything, i'm not surprised at all that it's only 1,000 in an entire day. if i took a cab to work, sat at my desk most of the day and took a cab home, i'd probably be under that. in fact, i used to do that. no wonder i was getting fat. i no longer do that. just from a cost standpoint, it was dumb.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options

Maybe it was all those trips to the bathroom...

Seriously, I have a fairly large house, and the days I'm home, I don't put more than 2000 in just walking around the house doing chores, even washing floors, etc. I have to take a walk or do a kickboxing or zumba class or video to get enough steps in. However, the days I teach, I'm getting at least 6000, and sometimes even 10,000 because I'm on a huge campus. That doesn't even take into account the 20 lbs. roller bag I drag everywhere and carry up two flights of stairs.
  • CObluegrass
    CObluegrass Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    score one for having young children I guess. I get 2000 before I even leave the house in the morning with making breakfasts, prepping lunch, corralling and all that. Even 2 days after I had ankle surgery, I got 1900 steps while using a walker.