Is there other 40+ struggling too?

Options

Replies

• frksfrau
    frksfrau Posts: 108 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Hi. I'm 47 and am not having a tough time as long as I weigh and log my food. I also do 1 hr a day on the treadmill. I listen to audiobooks while walking. I'm a librarian, what more can I say. :smiley:
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    46 here. It's definitely more difficult to lose than when in your 20's but I wouldn't call it a struggle. It's just part of my life now.
  • karenjkaluzny
    Options
    I keep thinking of getting a treadmill as well and knowing it will help me out alit!!
  • opalsqueak007
    opalsqueak007 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    You can do it. I am 51, in perimenapause with a very stressful life and financially in bad shape, but I have worked at it and lost 45lb. You can do it if you want it enough :)
  • grantwashere
    grantwashere Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    45+, not struggling but used to be in that boat. Anyone can add me if they want to.
  • phreespirit
    phreespirit Posts: 7 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I read that if you put on your gym clothes it helps because it kind of triggers in your mind what is upcoming. I've tried putting mine on as soon as I get home so my mind doesn't go into comfy clothes relaxation mode. it actually does seem to help. I also stopped weighing myself as much because being in my forties it takes much longer to come off. Clothes are fitting better so that feels good.
  • BruceHedtke
    BruceHedtke Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I'm 42 and using this site, I've been very successful in getting myself back into reasonable shape. I had never really concerned myself with my health in my "younger years". There are still days when I am weak but for the most part, I've learned to eat to live and exercise for health.

I think when you turn 40, you start to notice the health of your parents and relatives. You see the problems they have and the realization is that you're not that far away from those issues yourself if you don't do something about it. That's where I was and I sure as heck didn't want to be going into my golden years riddled with health issues. I wanted to enjoy my retirement and be healthy, so I stopped "putting it off until tomorrow" and made a change.
  • karenjkaluzny
    Options
    You can do it. I am 51, in perimenapause with a very stressful life and financially in bad shape, but I have worked at it and lost 45lb. You can do it if you want it enough :)

• karenjkaluzny
    Options
    Thanks for the confidence!! I can do this!!
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    I'm 43, and once I forgot everything I thought I knew about dieting.
    Kept it to a reasonable deficit, no foods off limits, and finding activities I enjoy, I've lost 125 lbs and it was pretty easy
  • prettygirlstorm1
    prettygirlstorm1 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Definitely feeling your pain. I am 48 and am having trouble with emotional eating and my love for junk food. I got the exercise thing down which is probably why I am in maintenance and really not losing. You can do this!!!! Feel free to add me and we can motivate each other!!!
  • karenjkaluzny
    Options
    I'm 42 and using this site, I've been very successful in getting myself back into reasonable shape. I had never really concerned myself with my health in my "younger years". There are still days when I am weak but for the most part, I've learned to eat to live and exercise for health.

I think when you turn 40, you start to notice the health of your parents and relatives. You see the problems they have and the realization is that you're not that far away from those issues yourself if you don't do something about it. That's where I was and I sure as heck didn't want to be going into my golden years riddled with health issues. I wanted to enjoy my retirement and be healthy, so I stopped "putting it off until tomorrow" and made a change.

• karenjkaluzny
    Options
    I know whAt u mean Bruce. I see my parents and all the meds they r on for high blood pressure, weight and diabetes and others. I certainly don't want to go thro that either!
  • karenjkaluzny
    Options
    I'm 43, and once I forgot everything I thought I knew about dieting.
    Kept it to a reasonable deficit, no foods off limits, and finding activities I enjoy, I've lost 125 lbs and it was pretty easy

• karenjkaluzny
    Options
    That's awesome!! I'm in my late 40's and it's very hard for me to keep off the weight I lose. I have tried eating better.. I've stopped snacking on junk food and I love to walk but not in the cold lol
  • beyondmotiv8ted
    beyondmotiv8ted Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am 40, just started 12 days ago and am loving this site. I read the success stories every day to keep myself motivated and have found if I walk in the door after work and go straight into my workout clothes and hop on my elliptical I will succeed!! The bonus is that for 40 minutes I get to read without anyone interrupting me! I was a former hater of exercise but now look forward to it as ME time! Looking for others who are motivated and realize it truly is calories in/calories spent!
  • karenjkaluzny
    Options
    I am 40, just started 12 days ago and am loving this site. I read the success stories every day to keep myself motivated and have found if I walk in the door after work and go straight into my workout clothes and hop on my elliptical I will succeed!! The bonus is that for 40 minutes I get to read without anyone interrupting me! I was a former hater of exercise but now look forward to it as ME time! Looking for others who are motivated and realize it truly is calories in/calories spent!

• crosbylee
    crosbylee Posts: 3,451 Member
    Options
    Once you are in the habit of taking care of you, remember on your bad days that you are in control. I have some stressful stuff going on in my life right now and I find that I am not using food to deal with it the way I used to. It does come off slower when you are older, but it does come off. Keep it up.
  • karenjkaluzny
    Options
    So do u find it a lot easier to exercise on a treadmill/elliptical versus old fashioned lunges push-ups etc?
    crosbylee wrote: »
    Once you are in the habit of taking care of you, remember on your bad days that you are in control. I have some stressful stuff going on in my life right now and I find that I am not using food to deal with it the way I used to. It does come off slower when you are older, but it does come off. Keep it up.

• karenjkaluzny
    Options
    Thx I keep trying