Possible stress fracture in my foot?

Options
I posted this is another group but just in case someone here can help me.
I know if this keeps bothering me I will have to go to the doctor but my question is has anyone had any experience with a stress fracture in the foot?
Yesterday I noticed after my zumba work out that the top of my right foot was sore. It doesn't hurt that much when I walk, just when I bend my toes down. I thought it would just go away. Today I did my exercise again and noticed the same thing. It doesn't hurt to walk just when I bend the toes and move my foot a certain way and the top of my foot is swollen and tender. It doesn't appear to have any bruising. I am going to baby the foot for a few days and see if it goes away or if it hurts anymore I will go straight to the doctor. I don't want to do more damage.
Has anyone experienced a stress fracture can you tell me your experience

Replies

• tcolichia
    Options
    possibly stressed the tendons. Ice and heat, Ice and heat plus ibuprofen. Let it be for a week or two and then test it out. Test as in test…not full out.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Is the pain isolated to a specific point on one of the metatarsal bones (like, when you push down on different parts of the top of your foot)? Especially if it's the second, third, and *maybe* fifth (like the index, middle, and pinkie toe) metatarsal, it could be a stress reaction or stress fracture.

I had a stress reaction (which is "last stop before stress fracture") this fall. I could not walk without pain, jump, run, or stand to have any pressure on top of my foot (what shoes?) for a solid week and a half. Bending my toes up or down made no difference.
  • 1triciakae
    1triciakae Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Is the pain isolated to a specific point on one of the metatarsal bones (like, when you push down on different parts of the top of your foot)? Especially if it's the second, third, and *maybe* fifth (like the index, middle, and pinkie toe) metatarsal, it could be a stress reaction or stress fracture.

I had a stress reaction (which is "last stop before stress fracture") this fall. I could not walk without pain, jump, run, or stand to have any pressure on top of my foot (what shoes?) for a solid week and a half. Bending my toes up or down made no difference.

I can pin point the spot can't tell if it's second or third.but it's one of them. Its sore when I walk but nothing unbearable. It feels as if I can't fully bend my toes.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    With my stress reaction, I could tell exactly when the doctor hit it. The pain went from "I am not enjoying this" when he was close to "involuntarily suck in your breath and close your eyes as the world explodes into shards of pain inside your head," pretty much instantly.

Is the pain on the bone itself? Or between the two? Pain between metatarsal 2 and 3 can be Morton's neuroma (like a pinched nerve). IIRC, that can swell up the foot enough to be visible from the outside, and cause pain into the toes.
  • 1triciakae
    Options
    With my stress reaction, I could tell exactly when the doctor hit it. The pain went from "I am not enjoying this" when he was close to "involuntarily suck in your breath and close your eyes as the world explodes into shards of pain inside your head," pretty much instantly.

Is the pain on the bone itself? Or between the two? Pain between metatarsal 2 and 3 can be Morton's neuroma (like a pinched nerve). IIRC, that can swell up the foot enough to be visible from the outside, and cause pain into the toes.

It maybe between them. It's not to bad this morning so we will see thank you for your help.

• quickcrx702
    quickcrx702 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    It's relatively easy to fracture the bones in your foot. I fractured my fifth metatarsal doing a 180 spin/jump off of a curb to grab my toddler before he ran into traffic. When you're consciously, or unconsciously, avoiding weight bearing, the pain is very low, maybe a 2/10. If you put weight or pressure on the spot, and it goes from 2/10 to a 10/10 excruciating pain level, and doesn't get better after a day or two, something is broken. Otherwise, you're probably okay, just give it some rest.
  • jtced
    jtced Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I just was diagnosed with a stress fracture yesterday. Great boot and all. I've been doing kickboxing and just started jogging and was having pain on the top of my foot. Extreme swelling in the mornings,etc. I thought it was my bunion acting up, plus I had Achilles tendinitis. Long story short, xrayed then came back squeezed the middle to top of my foot and I could have decked him. LOL! I'm off my foot for a month at least. It's worth getting it checked out. You don't want it to get too far along before anything happens.
  • 1triciakae
    Options
    jtced wrote: »
    I just was diagnosed with a stress fracture yesterday. Great boot and all. I've been doing kickboxing and just started jogging and was having pain on the top of my foot. Extreme swelling in the mornings,etc. I thought it was my bunion acting up, plus I had Achilles tendinitis. Long story short, xrayed then came back squeezed the middle to top of my foot and I could have decked him. LOL! I'm off my foot for a month at least. It's worth getting it checked out. You don't want it to get too far along before anything happens.

I stayed off of it for a couple days and thankfully the swelling went down the pain is now gone so I think mine was maybe a stress reaction.