Feeling like a Fatty... Any ideas? Please help!

Options
Hello all,

I am a 24 y. female; 5'7''; almost 160 lbs. Because of exercise restrictions I noticed I've gotten much flabbier (especially around the tummy!).

I'm not allowed to return to my exercise routine until next month because of a recent surgery in Dec. (halfway there!); However, I am allowed to do light cardio and lift under 10 lbs.

I've always struggled with weight issues most my life; I was obese as a child, lost weight gradually in years, and the last 5 years has been in a yo-yo dieting phase of gaining and losing weight.

Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas? I'd love to hear!

What I do now:
-Counting calories with 1 "cheat day" ; I end up binge eating on this day to it defeats the purpose...

-Light elliptical 1-3 times a week

-There's usually free non-healthy food at work and around campus (basically everywhere I go) and I have a problem of holding back )=

Please help!!

Replies

• KotoMalli
    KotoMalli Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    My goal is to lose 25-30 lbs and maintain it. Every time I lose weight, I end up gaining most of it back...
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Stop defeating the purpose of counting calories with your cheat days (something which apparently justifies a binge episode for you).

Though, it seems to me you know what the problem is already.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Eat more protein and fats to keep you fuller so you won't be so tempted.
  • KotoMalli
    Options
    Thanks, I'm working on it. It's gotten a bit better and looking for tips on how to not feel deprived or think of food differently.

Anyone have any ideas on how to change one's relationship with food?

It seems to be psychological question maybe, or just anything anyone had done that's helped would be appreciated if shared. (=
  • orandaberg
    Options
    Set yourself a reasonable goal at first, say 10 lbs from where you are now, use the calorie count and log everything, the phone app has a bar code reader so no excuse you forgot to add. Do not cheat! Get some blood moving 20 mins a day. No processed or fast foods. NONE, sometimes the processed is harder but fast a no no.
    I use to eat the protein bars and diet bars, but they tasted to good and I would eat too many and besides they are packed with chemicals, so I switched to hard boiled eggs, they have protein and vitamins and no chemicals and a LOT cheaper. Learn temptation, only you can do that, apart from being locked up!
    Use the calorie counter on here, do not cheat and you will loose, not over night, but you will see it go weekly
  • KotoMalli
    edited February 2015
    Options
    orandaberg,

I also used to eat protein bars almost daily as meals, but because of the chemicals and expensiveness, decided to stop buying them. Setting a lower goal is a good idea, since it is doable. Hard boiled eggs sound like a good snack idea instead!

I will stay away from the processed foods and learn to say NO (politely) when someone offers. Maybe sharing my goal with people will help ?

Thanks again for your tips (=
  • KotoMalli
    Options
    queenliz99,

I try to eat high protein, and low fat most of the time; maybe increasing my fat (the healthy kind of course) will help ? Thanks!
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Fat does not make you fat, eat too much makes you fat.
  • Lourdesong
    Options
    KotoMalli wrote: »
    Thanks, I'm working on it. It's gotten a bit better and looking for tips on how to not feel deprived or think of food differently.

It seems to be psychological question maybe, or just anything anyone had done that's helped would be appreciated if shared. (=

I'm positive there is a psychological component. A cheat day implies a break from an ordered lifestyle (which may involve too much dietary restrictions), you've got 24 hours to get in as much "naughtiness" as possible before the clock strikes midnight.

Food is food, not good or bad. A food's "healthy" status is dependent on dietary context, no food is healthy or not healthy in isolation without any context. A diet with a lot of variety is superior to a diet of kale and quinoa.

You don't need a cheat day. Eat what you want within your calories/macros. Allow yourself the freedom to eat foods you actually enjoy eating, but in reasonable amounts.

Or, you can continue to lust over all that which is "forbidden." And then binge.

• Lourdesong
    Options
    I find protein very satiating, but not fat. I find fat very tasty, though. So in that sense it can be satisfying. But for controlling hunger, no, not in my experience.
  • Gillian00louise
    Gillian00louise Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Every diet I've been on has always included a binge day which resulted in a binge.
    This time I refused to have a cheat day and I feel so much better and losing more weight.
  • KotoMalli
    Options
    Lourdesong wrote: »
    KotoMalli wrote: »

I'm positive there is a psychological component. A cheat day implies a break from an ordered lifestyle (which may involve too much dietary restrictions), you've got 24 hours to get in as much "naughtiness" as possible before the clock strikes midnight.

Food is food, not good or bad. A food's "healthy" status is dependent on dietary context, no food is healthy or not healthy in isolation without any context. A diet with a lot of variety is superior to a diet of kale and quinoa.

You don't need a cheat day. Eat what you want within your calories/macros. Allow yourself the freedom to eat foods you actually enjoy eating, but in reasonable amounts.

Or, you can continue to lust over all that which is "forbidden." And then binge.

Yes, that is how I feel about it; eat now because no more of this for rest of week.

Like you say, keeping good variety would be helpful; I tend to (wrongly) think of certain foods as enemies or magically-make-you-pack-the-pounds-foods.

This week I'll add treats I like throughout the week within my calorie range and take it week by week. I'll determine myself to be reminded of the context!
  • KotoMalli
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Every diet I've been on has always included a binge day which resulted in a binge.
    This time I refused to have a cheat day and I feel so much better and losing more weight.

You too? Thank you for sharing; I feel motivated knowing someone else going through this problem got passed it ^_^

Congrats on setting yourself up for success! (((=