PCOS and weight loss

Options
Anyone else out there have PCOS and battling to loose weight?!

Replies

• SexyKatherine73
    SexyKatherine73 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and I'm finding it easy to loose weight ... I either go for a 1 1/2 hour walk or play on my cross trainer for an hour a day and eat at a calorie defect. With PCOS you have to move, defect alone is not enough.
  • The_Morrighan
    The_Morrighan Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have pcos and weightloss for me is a constant struggle, it's so easy to gain and so hard to lose, reducing processed foods and excersice helps slot, feel free to add me
  • tryanother
    tryanother Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have lost almost 73 lbs since the beginning of 2014 WITH PCOS. It can be done! Good luck! Be consistent.
  • HoneyDoe22
    Options
    I'm diagnosed with PCOS and need to lose at least 95 lbs. the main reason I'm struggling with is rejecting in caffeine, high carb, major amount of sugar and starch. I need to break the "old" habits. Lately, my husband want kids any time soon. Ahh! I need help!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Do you have a medical need to get rid of caffeine? Or are you just trying to limit it?

I have PCOS. I've lost 54 pounds since January 2014. I limit my carbs somewhat but I don't keep them super low. I exercise quite a bit though--strength training 4x/wk and cardio 4x/wk. You all can do it :)
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    PCOS sister here. I too have a question as to why you're getting rid of caffeine, @HoneyDoe22.

I work out about 4-5 times a week (mostly weight lifting with cardio mixed in), limit my carbs but don't get nutter butter about it. I focus mostly on eating protein-rich foods, veggies, fruits (usually in the morning), and foods high in fiber. While my scale isn't always showing me what I want to see, I have noticed a HUGE difference in the way my clothes fit.

I've found that with PCOS, while it can be tricky to see weight sliding off, it's totally doa-able and is all about slow-and-steady.

If anyone wants another buddy, I love having more friends on here. No need to write me a long drawn-out message, either. Just feel free to add me :)
  • jlwoodmass
    jlwoodmass Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi Hannah. I was diagnosed with PCOS in December and it is definitely a lifestyle change to lose the weight. Since about mid January I've lost 4lbs. :) For me I need to do it in small steps to keep with it.

In January I decided to stop drinking pop and only eat whole wheat pasta, brown rice, and non white bread. I also started baking with Truvia Blend instead of sugar. I don't bake often, but it at least cuts out the sugars in the muffins I love!

Those were the only changes I made in January, and now in February I'm trying to do Yoga every Weekday except Wednesdays (need to have a rest day when you're not used to the movements).

Just need to find what works best for you and make a little bit of change at a time. :) Good luck!
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    HoneyDoe22 wrote: »
    I'm diagnosed with PCOS and need to lose at least 95 lbs. the main reason I'm struggling with is rejecting in caffeine, high carb, major amount of sugar and starch. I need to break the "old" habits. Lately, my husband want kids any time soon. Ahh! I need help!

There is no reason why you need to curtail caffeine intake with PCOS.

I've lost 90-ish pounds. For me, the keys are eating a moderate carb diet with minimal grains and MOVING, a lot. I exercise for more than an hour just about every day--closer to 2 hours is more typical for me.
  • Kazzsjourney2
    Kazzsjourney2 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS....i previous lost 94 kilos/200 pounds but have gained back 40 kilos/90 pounds and just back into things now. I didnt really need to do much different. I eat from all food groups (including carbs) but most evenings i restrict my grains (but i eat grains with both breakfast and lunch). As someone else mentioned for me limiting processed foods is really helpful. For me exercise is imperative and for me i find i need both cardio and resistance training (i do most of my workouts in the form of les mills classes or walking/running) and also getting enough sleep.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS, diagnosed more than 20 years ago. I have noticed symptoms get worse when I put on even a bit of weight, even if I am still within normal weight range, and also when I stop exercising. I have not struggled with my weight much ever, nor have been overweight ever after my diagnosis, so I do not think it really affects my weight. Never had the need for food restrictions either, my dr supports a balanced diet, without carb or any other food group restriction . The usual struggle for me is to keep my weight slightly below "ideal", on the lower side of normal, to stay symptom free.